Japan Move, Shrinking PC Footprint

Mbmm

Budget (including currency): Let's say $2000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Adobe Suite, CAD, Modern games maxed

Other details:

Purpose: I'll likely be moving for work this next summer to Japan and I want to build a PC that can be as small as possible that would function with their power standards abroad. The goal would be to fit full sized graphics card (2080TI) inside of the PC and withstand an airplane ride, no glass. I will also want recommendations for potentially an external gpu enclosure that would work to pair with a laptop. I would also like to use AMD processor if possible.

Parts to Retain: I'll try and retain my Headphones (Fostex TH900), Asgard 3, Mouse/Keyboard/Tartarus Pro, 2080ti.

Random Note: I do have a 2700x in my current build and a 1700x in my wife's build, I don't think these would be worth taking, neither would my monitors, 32" LG32GK850 F&G. I won't need much of a recommendation on monitors, I'm picky so I'll buy one once I'm there.

Concerns: I know after consulting someone about moving my Asgard 3 over they mentioned using a stepdown transformer since the outlet standard in Japan is A/B, 2 prong only. It is also 100V vs the USA 120V. I would like to avoid using a stepdown transformer if possible and I feel like my asgard may end up too big to go alongside 2 smaller PC builds.

Let me know of any concerns or further questions.

12 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why not just build it there? Japan has pretty good prices on pc parts.

Presumably it has to come back to the states as well, so either way it has to survive a plane trip and be conveniently small. Not to mention, the smaller living quarters that Japan is more familiar with.

This parts list makes for a great portable PC:

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/TFtNb8

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($273.47 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i v2 70.69 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($100.10 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  ($129.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($66.98 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card  ($1198.00 @ Amazon) 
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($57.99 @ B&H) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($115.03 @ Amazon) 
Total: $2046.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-07-02 10:00 EDT-0400

Unfortunately the 2080 ti does take up most of the budget here, hopefully dropping down to a 2080 super is not much concern

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Mbmm said:

-snip-

First of all, congrats! I hope you enjoy your time in Japan.

In terms of your usage are you more concerned about productivity (Adobe Suite + CAD) or gaming? Usually this doesnt result in much difference but a heavier focus on one or the other could influence Graphics card choices, etc.

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Presumably it has to come back to the states as well, so either way it has to survive a plane trip and be conveniently small. Not to mention, the smaller living quarters that Japan is more familiar with.

Hide contents

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  ($66.98 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Blower Video Card  ($1198.00 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Silverstone 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  ($115.03 @ Amazon) 

Unfortunately the 2080 ti does take up most of the budget here, hopefully dropping down to a 2080 super is not much concern

That is the nice thing there tho. Small computer cases and such are so far more common over there.

How small are you looking to go? The Silverstone ML08B-H fits pretty easily into a carry-on and can fit a surprisingly large GPU, but it's tall and thin. The Cougar QBX, which I'm using, is pretty wide-open in terms of hardware compatibility. There are definitely GPUs that are too wide for it, but with an SFX PSU there aren't going to be too many that are too long. It's a little bigger than a shoebox. If you just want to go uber, the NCASE M1 is like a smaller, sexier, way tf more expensive version of the Cougar, and it's pretty widely regarded as the best ITX case out there.

Something to keep in mind: thermals. Thermals on SFF systems are difficult to manage. My QBX has six fan slots, and I've had to fill five of them to keep the thing mostly cool. If you foresee that as an issue (and I do with your spec requirements), think about waiting until you get there to pick up something mATX. It'll give you more options, usually have better airflow options, and your build will be cheaper overall. There are some pretty compact mATX cases out there if you look around. My HTPC is in an ABS R206-ITX, which is definitely not suitable for your needs, but would be able to fit in a suitcase if it needed to.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

Playing devil's advocate here. What about if you bought the expensive parts in the states that are also pretty transportable... and then bought another case/PSU and possibly motherboard over there... that way you could go with a bigger case, ATX mobo and better cooling. Then when you're done in Japan, sell the big parts again, for a small loss, and transport the expensive smaller parts back with you again?

I think overall it may work out cheaper that way, and you get better cooling.

eg you buy a motherboard that will get the job done, with good VRMs, a case you like, and possibly even PSU - then you don't have to worry about step down transformers either. All-in maybe $400 or so... and should be able to get say at least $200 when re-selling maybe.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

Reveal hidden contents

I already have a 2080 ti. Technically the budget is irrelevant. I just don't want to go overboard.

15 minutes ago, Mbmm said:

I already have a 2080 ti. Technically the budget is irrelevant. I just don't want to go overboard.

What model 2080 ti? Small ones are not exactly easy to come by.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

On 7/2/2020 at 10:21 AM, Fasauceome said:

What model 2080 ti? Small ones are not exactly easy to come by.

Sorry for the super late reply, I got tied up for days...EVGA 2080TI black edition.

Just now, Mbmm said:

Sorry for the super late reply, I got tied up for days...EVGA 2080TI black edition.

Sadly, it does not fit inside the case I recommended, it's quite large.

Luckily, there are other low volume cases to consider.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/97C4b8

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

Sadly, it does not fit inside the case I recommended, it's quite large.

Luckily, there are other low volume cases to consider.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/97C4b8

Is that new link another case it would fit in by chance?

2 minutes ago, Mbmm said:

Is that new link another case it would fit in by chance?

It's a whole parts list, I accounted for the new GPU you've chosen.

Primary PC:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

It's a whole parts list, I accounted for the new GPU you've chosen.

So much appreciated! I'll look into these parts and take notes of more dimensions now that I have a good base for this build :)