Unlicensed Windows 8.1 to 10

ANTHEMBUILDS

Hey,

It's literally day 1 for me here so hello! 

So my neighbors stuck me with a laptop because they want to upgrade it from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Now, I see its an UNLICENSED version and they don't have the product keys anymore. Note, my neighbors are a group of old ladies who aren't much into tech. I'm also just learning about this stuff as well. So my question is, how do I go about doing this? Is it even possible to upgrade from an unlicensed copy?

Thanks!

Just now, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

Hey,

So my neighbors stuck me with a laptop because they want to upgrade it from windows 8.1 to windows 10. Now, I see its an UNLICENSED version and they don't have the product keys anymore. Note, my neighbors are a group of old ladies who aren't much into tech. I'm also just learning about this stuff as well. So my question is, how do I go about doing this? Is it even possible to upgrade from an unlicensed copy?

Thanks!

It's possible to download the ISO from Microsoft for Windows 10 and install without having to pay a penny. You'll just have an annoying watermark in the bottom right and lose the ability to use personalisation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

Desktop - i5-9600KF @4.8GHz all core, MSI Z390-A PRO, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, MSI GTX 1660S OC 6GB, WD Blue 500GB M.2 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD

Laptop - ASUS ZenBook 14 with ScreenPad, i7-1165G7, Xe iGPU 96EU, 16GB Octa-Channel 4200MHz, MX450 2GB, 512GB SSD with 32GB Optane

Old Laptop 1 - HP Pavilion 15, A10-9600P, R5 iGPU, 8GB, R8 M445DX, 2TB HDD

Old Laptop 2 - HP Pavilion 15 TouchSmart, i3-3217U, Intel HD 4000, 4GB, 1TB HDD

iPad 2018 - 128GB

iPhone XR - 128GB

If they are willing to pay a couple bucks, you could get a key from Ebay. Last I checked it was like $2.

As for the key, this is a laptop, correct? Usually, the key should either be on the laptop itself or in the BIOS of the laptop.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

7 hours ago, ANTHEMBUILDS said:

Hey,

Thanks!

7 hours ago, bengeoghegan11 said:

It's possible to download the ISO from Microsoft for Windows 10 and install without having to pay a penny. You'll just have an annoying watermark in the bottom right and lose the ability to use personalisation.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

This would be the way to go about it. Unless the ladies need licensed featured other than using it to watch YouTube and Facebook etc. 

6 hours ago, Nine Tailed Fox said:

Just get a key from a cdkey store for like $10 or something

6 hours ago, TetraSky said:

If they are willing to pay a couple bucks, you could get a key from Ebay. Last I checked it was like $2.

As for the key, this is a laptop, correct? Usually, the key should either be on the laptop itself or in the BIOS of the laptop.

Not necessary, I cant see why the ladies would need any of the licensed features.

It would be a waste of their money really. imo

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Check the bottom of the computer. Some laptops post the windows key on a sticker on the outside of the computer on the bottom.

Back up their files, clean install 10 and put their files and apps back on. 

Then buy a cheap ebay key and suck up the $5 cost. Don't even tell then about the $5

Great neighbour, good karma. 

all my laptops have the windows key inside the bottom panel, where the battery and ram go. 
If you have a Win7 key it will work on Win10. 

Junk Yard Dog Build

I7 -10700K
MSI Z490 MPG Gaming Plus

Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32gb (4x8gb) DDR4 (3200 MHz)

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro

Corsair H115i Platinum AIO

EVGA 750 GQ

In a Cyberpower PC X-Titan case

3 hours ago, Marbo said:

Then buy a cheap ebay key and suck up the $5 cost. Don't even tell then about the $5

What is the deal with cheap ebay windows keys? Is it legit? Are they volume licences? 
I have windows 10 OEM version, and when I build another PC I dont want to have to pay the $160 CAD or whatever it is these days.
Having said that, I also dont want to get a cheap key, then spend hours setting up windows and customizing it, installing my programs ect, only to find out 6 months later the key is no longer valid. 

3 hours ago, Doc Huckleberry said:

What is the deal with cheap ebay windows keys? Is it legit? Are they volume licences? 
I have windows 10 OEM version, and when I build another PC I dont want to have to pay the $160 CAD or whatever it is these days.
Having said that, I also dont want to get a cheap key, then spend hours setting up windows and customizing it, installing my programs ect, only to find out 6 months later the key is no longer valid. 

Yep, volume keys. 

It seems most people have success with them. I've had on on mine for a couple years with no issues. 

As for having to set up again if it does get blocked, I'd guess you could just enter another key. 

15 minutes ago, Marbo said:

Yep, volume keys. 

It seems most people have success with them. I've had on on mine for a couple years with no issues. 

As for having to set up again if it does get blocked, I'd guess you could just enter another key. 

Hmmm....Is it better to go THIS route then say something obtained from a P2P type of thing that uses an activator? (I should probably go read the terms of service again, I dont want to get in trouble)....

1 hour ago, Doc Huckleberry said:

Hmmm....Is it better to go THIS route then say something obtained from a P2P type of thing that uses an activator? (I should probably go read the terms of service again, I dont want to get in trouble)....

Much better. Your copy of windows is genuine as is the key. 

The way look at it is similar to those multipacks that have a message that they're not for sale individually. Yet we'd all buy them individually from the corner shop if they were cheaper. 

P2p could be full of viruses especially with the activator.