Can Forcibly shutting down the PC damage the PSU?

Hellfire_Helix

Firstly before starting I am using an r7 3700x and 2070 Super.

I was using a Gigabyte B700H PSU and the thing which happened with me is pretty strange, I think I am the only one who has encountered such thing till date. 

Let me narrate you the Incident : Last night while using my PC, I pressed the power button to shut it down, some programs were running at that time and normally windows gave me a message that Few programs are already running Do you still want to shutdown? I chose to Shut down anyway. 

PC Turned off and I turned off the UPS to which my PSU Power cable was connected and Unplugged the UPS Cable from my socket. Things seem fine till here. Don't It?

Today when I tried to power on my PC, I found that my PSU has died, Initially I thought it to be a Mobo failure but when I swapped that died PSU and used another one which I borrowed from my friend, everything was working fine. 

And to be honest at this point I am literally scratching my head that what went wrong last night that killed my PSU, I haven't ever listened to such incidents in a while specially with such modern systems. Does anyone have any legit explanation of what happened to it or has anyone faced a similar situation before?

Please Help Me, I am pretty scared that same thing would happen when I'd use another PSU, as this incident is pretty much strange, and I won't be surprised If  few of you guys would refuse to believe that such thing could cause a PSU failure. 

Please Help!! :(

First time ever hear this happens. Must be all eight planets are aligned when you switched off your PC.

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

First time ever hear this happens. Must be all eight planets are aligned when you switched off your PC.

Seems like I was unlucky AF.

Open programs doesn't mean that they are running.

It's not like you shutdon the pc in the middle of a render.

Worst case, the HDD will get hammered, the os will be screwed, but hardware wise will be just fine.

reason of you PSU died can be age, power surge, heat or some parts are broken that caused a shorts.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Also might have been a front power button issue, mine is being finicky for some reason, did you try shorting the pins manually?

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

29 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Also might have been a front power button issue, mine is being finicky for some reason, did you try shorting the pins manually?

Yes. I have tried that too but It doesn't matter because when PSU is dead doesn't matter whether you use power button or short the power switch manually from Front panel connectors on Mobo. My PSU is confirmed dead, As I mentioned when I tried to boot my system with another power supply It worked fine with the power button itself.

1 hour ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

Seems like I was unlucky AF.

Sometimes this is all it takes. It may be possible you bought a lemon unit, it happens.

/shrug

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

5 hours ago, Hellfire_Helix said:

when PSU is dead doesn't matter whether you use power button or short the power switch manually from Front panel connectors on Mobo.

I know that, I was just wondering if you tried shorting the pins.

i would definitely check if the warranty is still valid

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6