apple responds to hey controversy by insulting free app developers

spartaman64
26 minutes ago, Kisai said:

snip

lots of people also use it to play randomized pokemon etc if nintendo offered a easier way to do legitimate things like that then there wont be as many people modding their switch

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

There's no MS phone anymore due to developers being more interested in the rising Android market and Apple's market at the time.   7 and 7.5 was the first versons to lose major developer support from there.   People jumped ship when developers were coming back.   It had nothing to do with piracy.   I know because I had the HTC Trophy at the time, and was a student developer at the time.  I was constantly talking to MS, Devs, and even consumers on the matter.  RIM I only had some experience with via the Storm, but I do agree tthat was pretty bad and limited on the developer side.  Also, most developers tend to put their app on both markets, Google Play Store and Apple's App Store, because that's far more profitable than limiting yourself to one market.

I had a WP and the only issue I had was app support, when your mobile network provider, ISP and bank do not support a device it doesn't matter how good the rest of the OS is, it is not appealing to majority of the market.  The other thing that killed WP was all the edgy teenagers running around the internet shitting on it solely because it was windows (didn't want to be the social orphan with the cool guys) and not from any personal experience.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

5 minutes ago, mr moose said:

I had a WP and the only issue I had was app support, when your mobile network provider, ISP and bank do not support a device it doesn't matter how good the rest of the OS is, it is not appealing to majority of the market.  The other thing that killed WP was all the edgy teenagers running around the internet shitting on it solely because it was windows (didn't want to be the social orphan with the cool guys) and not from any personal experience.

That's why a friend of mine moved off Windows mobile. Lackluster support.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

On 6/20/2020 at 4:41 PM, mr moose said:

Bingo. Wireless carriers were more interested in selling the more profitable Android devices than anything else. There are entire stories out there about stores trying to convince people who wanted to buy an iPhone to buy a Samsung or LG device , claiming it was as good as the iphone and runs the same things, when it's just not true, and only in the smallest sense "run the same stuff", if the developer opted to make versions for the devices.

Microsoft threw away it's #2 position with Windows Mobile, when RIM was #1 and the iPhone was just a rumored "phone married to an iPod". They had a mobile OS that already worked on ARM, had already beat Palm into the ground, and yet they threw it out in favor of the Metro UI that they also pushed to Windows 8. 

Like Imagine if Apple changed their UI (which still resembles the Newton/Palm "one app, one icon" style desktop) with every OS. It's kind of amazing that they have't changed the UI on iPhone since it's inception, and the same with MacOS/OSX. Microsoft has changed their UI in Windows three times, and the most recent Windows still resembles Windows 95's UI after backing away from the Metro UI as well.

At any rate RIM and Microsoft squandered their positions, and Google had to change their plans at the last minute and ultimately released garbage when the iPhone launched, and OEM's had no problem selling them like they were their typical rubbish feature phones.

13 minutes ago, Kisai said:

Bingo. Wireless carriers were more interested in selling the more profitable Android devices than anything else. There are entire stories out there about stores trying to convince people who wanted to buy an iPhone to buy a Samsung or LG device , claiming it was as good as the iphone and runs the same things, when it's just not true, and only in the smallest sense "run the same stuff", if the developer opted to make versions for the devices.

Microsoft threw away it's #2 position with Windows Mobile, when RIM was #1 and the iPhone was just a rumored "phone married to an iPod". They had a mobile OS that already worked on ARM, had already beat Palm into the ground, and yet they threw it out in favor of the Metro UI that they also pushed to Windows 8. 

Like Imagine if Apple changed their UI (which still resembles the Newton/Palm "one app, one icon" style desktop) with every OS. It's kind of amazing that they have't changed the UI on iPhone since it's inception, and the same with MacOS/OSX. Microsoft has changed their UI in Windows three times, and the most recent Windows still resembles Windows 95's UI after backing away from the Metro UI as well.

At any rate RIM and Microsoft squandered their positions, and Google had to change their plans at the last minute and ultimately released garbage when the iPhone launched, and OEM's had no problem selling them like they were their typical rubbish feature phones.

There was nothing inherently bad with either the rim or the MS product, everything that killed it was external to those companies.  No matter how good your phone is, if developers don't support it,  it is dead in the water.    MS came unstuck because when they came back to the market the iphone and android had already firmly established themselves with app markets making it almost impossible for any new player to get a foot in the door.  It's the same with the  times Ubuntu phones have tried to enter the market, It doesn't matter how good the device is, the market is already solid and until someone releases a popular dev kit that is OS independent (meaning any app can run on any phone) then new phones won't make it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

On 6/21/2020 at 5:22 PM, mr moose said:

There was nothing inherently bad with either the rim or the MS product, everything that killed it was external to those companies.  No matter how good your phone is, if developers don't support it,  it is dead in the water.    MS came unstuck because when they came back to the market the iphone and android had already firmly established themselves with app markets making it almost impossible for any new player to get a foot in the door.  It's the same with the  times Ubuntu phones have tried to enter the market, It doesn't matter how good the device is, the market is already solid and until someone releases a popular dev kit that is OS independent (meaning any app can run on any phone) then new phones won't make it.

A lot of people at the office wish RIM was still making keyboard-phones, but admit they hated nearly everything about them but that.

4 hours ago, Kisai said:

A lot of people at the office wish RIM was still making keyboard-phones, but admit they hated nearly everything about them but that.

Everyone knows someone.