Uses for old laptop

mystvean

Hi,

My Asus U46SV is showing its age. I've upgraded the SSD, but it is still slow for me.

Here are the specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (came with W7 and got the free upgrades)
    Intel Core i5 2410M
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. U46SV (CPU 1)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 
    476GB M4-CT512M4SSD1 (SATA (SSD)
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2ASW

My workplace also gave me a new laptop, so I went and bought another Asus laptop. A UX461u. i5 version with 512 GB SSD. I've upgraded the HD to SSD, but it is still slower compared to the newer laptop. The laptop works, but the exhaust grill is actually hot.The screen border has this rubberized bezel, which is now sticky, that everything sticks on it. Now it is full of tissue paper remnants. The only reason I use it is for using the DVD drive and the SD card slot since my newer laptop comes with a microsd. I also open the laptop to download free games (not sure when I will play those). Also, it has a VGA port, which is good for projectors which don't have newer ports.

Read this article;on how recycle it, but not sure I want to any of those. parents use phone for skype. I have a office365 as part of my work. Don't need a NAS.Games, not yet until my kids are old enough to be responsible. Also, i've kind of grown out of it. Donating it while possible, is not that good since the laptop itself looks bad for donating, especially since the bezel and parts of the body where the bezel meets is also sticky. I don't have time to watch TV with small kids running around the house.

Both speakers are on one side, the battery, even though still functioning, does not last more than 2 hours. The battery is removable and it still functions without a battery. The keyboard metal is slightly deformed because the service center accidentally stretched it too far while fixing the cover for the hinge. The earphone jack has artifact noise. Bluetooth does not function anymore. The keyboard works, but jumps around if you put more pressure sending the cursor somewhere else while typing.

Is there a method to make my pc even faster? Any suggestions on recycling it? I think using it as a clock would be nice, though overkill. Windows give good background with the lock screen, though a clock with weather would be more useful. I've converted the original nexus tablet into a permanent clock, removing the battery, running direct from the wall and downloading a desk clock app. Only need to turn it on if there are blackouts which is rare. The android-clock has lasted more than 5 years now. This laptop is heavier at 3.2kgs. So I will need to have a proper shelving and mounting it. Wifi still works, so if I just remove the password and autoload a clock background or so, it will work nicely right? Just need to find a software to automatically load into windows and use some live wallpaper. That way if I do need to use as a laptop, I can just take it and use it again.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will look at the video. HTPC is a good idea, but I don't have time sit and to watch TV. A luxury for parenting. I will use that time to actually sleep. The TV is running nursery or educational kids shows with some normal programs in between. Most of my media consumption is on my phone. Sometimes I just listen to whatever is showing like the WAN show while driving, doing house chores and even shopping for groceries.

The powerbrick of the laptop output is rated at 1.9v 4.74A. Not sure how that translates in 24 hour usage.

24 minutes ago, mystvean said:

Hi,

My Asus U46SV is showing its age. I've upgraded the SSD, but it is still slow for me.

Here are the specs:

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (came with W7 and got the free upgrades)
    Intel Core i5 2410M
    8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
    ASUSTeK Computer Inc. U46SV (CPU 1)
    Intel HD Graphics 3000 (ASUStek Computer Inc)
    1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 
    476GB M4-CT512M4SSD1 (SATA (SSD)
    MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8A2ASW

My workplace also gave me a new laptop, so I went and bought another Asus laptop. A UX461u. i5 version with 512 GB SSD. I've upgraded the HD to SSD, but it is still slower compared to the newer laptop. The laptop works, but the exhaust grill is actually hot.The screen border has this rubberized bezel, which is now sticky, that everything sticks on it. Now it is full of tissue paper remnants. The only reason I use it is for using the DVD drive and the SD card slot since my newer laptop comes with a microsd. I also open the laptop to download free games (not sure when I will play those). Also, it has a VGA port, which is good for projectors which don't have newer ports.

Read this article;on how recycle it, but not sure I want to any of those. parents use phone for skype. I have a office365 as part of my work. Don't need a NAS.Games, not yet until my kids are old enough to be responsible. Also, i've kind of grown out of it. Donating it while possible, is not that good since the laptop itself looks bad for donating, especially since the bezel and parts of the body where the bezel meets is also sticky. I don't have time to watch TV with small kids running around the house.

Both speakers are on one side, the battery, even though still functioning, does not last more than 2 hours. The battery is removable and it still functions without a battery. The keyboard metal is slightly deformed because the service center accidentally stretched it too far while fixing the cover for the hinge. The earphone jack has artifact noise. Bluetooth does not function anymore. The keyboard works, but jumps around if you put more pressure sending the cursor somewhere else while typing.

Is there a method to make my pc even faster? Any suggestions on recycling it? I think using it as a clock would be nice, though overkill. Windows give good background with the lock screen, though a clock with weather would be more useful. I've converted the original nexus tablet into a permanent clock, removing the battery, running direct from the wall and downloading a desk clock app. Only need to turn it on if there are blackouts which is rare. The android-clock has lasted more than 5 years now. This laptop is heavier at 3.2kgs. So I will need to have a proper shelving and mounting it. Wifi still works, so if I just remove the password and autoload a clock background or so, it will work nicely right? Just need to find a software to automatically load into windows and use some live wallpaper. That way if I do need to use as a laptop, I can just take it and use it again.

for faster part that you said you can just run something like manjaro and customize everything as you like it 
maybe a window manager like i3 or awsomewm are good choices and are very customizable also easy to customize

you will also be able to use a massive amount of open source software and packages and read man of that package if you are stuck

9 minutes ago, mystvean said:

The powerbrick of the laptop output is rated at 1.9v 4.74A. Not sure how that translates in 24 hour usage.

Depends on how much power your laptop is actually using, the rating is actually 19v

Watts = Volts * Amps, that charger would theoretically use 90 Watts 

https://www.rapidtables.com/calc/electric/energy-cost-calculator.html

If you had it pluged in 24 hours and it was using that full 90 watts for the 24 hours (it wouldnt if the battery gets to its full charge or isnt really using its full load)

US avg kw/h price is 12 cents so it would use at most around $7 a month, where if you were in places with higher costs such as aus it would be $20 a month

29 minutes ago, mystvean said:

does not last more than 2 hours

Say you save 6-8 hours not charging because it goes to battery it would go to a max of $5 a month, and still probably wouldnt even reach that, you could also add in timers so that its only during the times you are home or completely off at night, you would be hitting a max of $3 a month

CPU: i5-4690k @ 4.4 GHz | RAM: 12GB DDR3 1333MHz | GPU: Sapphire Pulse RX 580 4GB 

replace the thermal past you maybe able to put in more ram that gen is known for running 16-32 even if it ins't officially supported

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Light Linux distro

make it a htpc

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler