Cheap low end F@H GPU

I am currently in accommodation where my power bill is free, so I am not too concerned about the efficiency of cards, but the price of initial purchase and the power it delivers.

I have a machine with a 600w PSU, and a 6 pin 12v rail 

What cards are out there which are relatively cheap (used on eBay) but get enough points on FAH to be worth it?

I do have space for 3 cards too, but limited by power supply issues

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

This sounds like some fairly complicated balancing math.  An algorithm for it would be cool.  I lack the capacity to make one.

The general fan fave for more FLOPs per $ and damn the torpedoes is the 480.  The problem is it may not be the most efficient because of the PSU limitations.  This matters more than your cheap/free power.  You can only put so much through the box and it’s only got so many gpu power cables.  Another possibility might be 3 1650s or similar board power only GPUs because they don’t require any external cabling.  Could possibly hit your mobo pretty hard though. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

9 minutes ago, william444555 said:

I am currently in accommodation where my power bill is free, so I am not too concerned about the efficiency of cards, but the price of initial purchase and the power it delivers.

What cards are out there which are relatively cheap (used on eBay) but get enough points on FAH to be worth it?

R9 290 has entered the chat

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

What price range are you looking at? 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

IIRC the Vega56 has the best price to performance.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Zando Bob said:

What price range are you looking at?

Anything under three digits really, the cheaper the better

4 minutes ago, william444555 said:

Anything under three digits really, the cheaper the better

So up to $99? Should be able to find an older, lower end Pascal/Maxwell card within that range. They won't do amazing PPD but they're better than nothing. 

Just now, Unilevers said:

2060 supers are super bang for your buck

^^^ Can confirm this, mine quotes around 1.3-1.7m PPD depending on the WU. Ran it for around... 18 hours or so the other day, belted out 1.05m points. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, dizmo said:

IIRC the Vega56 has the best price to performance.

Vega56 might go next to the 480.  hot card with great numbers that might have cabling issues.

im getting the impression this thing is max FLOPs/$ within the constraints of the PSU, actual power consumption not a concern.  With not enough information (at least for me) about the particulars of the PSU for me to do much.

Some PSU data was given, but it wasn’t useful to me at least.  Might be to someone else.  The problem with PSUs is playing games with the cable connections is dangerous because they’re not standardized except at the plug, and the things have big caps in them which can blow if one gets something wrong.  Conventional wisdom is then unless you’re an electrical engineer with appropriate measurement tools and safety knowledge do not mess with the cabling.  What you get is what you got.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

42 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Vega56 might go next to the 480. hot card with great numbers that might have cabling issues.

im getting the impression this thing is max FLOPs/$ within the constraints of the PSU, actual power consumption not a concern. With not enough information (at least for me) about the particulars of the PSU for me to do much.

Some PSU data was given, but it wasn’t useful to me at least. Might be to someone else. The problem with PSUs is playing games with the cable connections is dangerous because they’re not standardized except at the plug, and the things have big caps in them which can blow if one gets something wrong. Conventional wisdom is then unless you’re an electrical engineer with appropriate measurement tools and safety knowledge do not mess with the cabling. What you get is what you got.

I did try to run a 970 from the 600w PSU with lots of cable adaptors, but the wires going to the PSU got too hot to be safe.

There is a 6 pin 12v connector going straight to the PSU and a few peripheral connections, however not enough to run a 6+8 pin card.

I am looking into upgrading the power supply at some point, but I do want to squeeze some more life out of it.

The PSU can put out 12v 26A, 5V 36A and 3.3V 30A

So a slightly older spec with less wattage in the 12v rail.

I could use a separate PSU Scrapyard wars style, for the GPU though.

Basically I want to spend as little as possible but get the best results from a 24/7 machine. However I do understand if I want something powerful and reliable, I will have to spend money

A 600w PSU with only a single six pin for gpu?  That is unusual.  Yah. I’ve never heard a single good thing about pcie power adaptors.  They’re dark magic for me.  They’ve got a rep for not being built very well and doing bad stuff like that heating thing you mentioned.   Not for everyone of course.  Hopefully there’s someone here who can work with that data.  

On 6/18/2020 at 10:38 AM, william444555 said:

This list is recent PPD values for a number of cards you can get new or used which may help you on the "worth it to fold" part of the equation looking for GPUs.

https://folding.lar.systems/folding_data/gpu_ppd_overall

In terms of what may work on a 6PIN connector in RTX cards the 2060 and 2060 K0 have versions with only one connector if you look for them.

Otherwise 1060s are affordable and 6PIN in many cases, but not nearly as power / PPD efficient as RTX series.

Hardware & Programming Enthusiast - Creator of LAR_Systems "Folding@Home in the Dark" browser extension and GPU / CPU PPD Database. 

If @william444555 looking for a good lower end card with a lower TDP Watt consume the GTX 1660 Super would be fine cause its at a fair price and consumes only 125 Watt. Alternatives may be the GTX 1650 ( NOT GTX 1650 Super ! ) cause GTX 1650 has a TDP of only 75 Watt ( the super variant needs allready 100 Watt and than the first recomentation would be better....) . If the GTX 1650 is too expensive at Ebay or similar, you can buy a GTX 1050 TI or just cheaper but only very few PPD´s less GTX 750 Ti . On AMD side --- well as far as i know they consume more electric power as equal Nvidias ( i have myself runing both in my system with very equal computing power but the AMD Vega10XL/XT consumes more Watt for it than the Nvidia TU104 card ).