Redundant internet connection

It's online exams time cuz University...my friend is really worried his i-net would go down because his ISP is shit...I wonder if I make him plug in his laptop via Ethernet and Wi-Fi at the same time (wifi would be to a hotspot hosted by his phone which is on a separate network (LTE)) would that secure his connection?

That way if his ISP goes down, the traffic should be rerouted through the phone.

Or would it be too slow to establish the swap in real time so his MS Teams connection doesn't drop out?  I could test it but in theory would it work well enough so he doesn't get disconnected?

it isn't going to swap over fast enough to not drop the connection

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

If I could only create a weird mesh and combine both so it doesn't have to completely reroute traffic...

1 minute ago, GDRRiley said:

it isn't going to swap over fast enough to not drop the connection

agreed. you might want to run it entirely off LTE if the connection is super important

4 minutes ago, George. said:

It's online exams time cuz University...my friend is really worried his i-net would go down because his ISP is shit...I wonder if I make him plug in his laptop via Ethernet and Wi-Fi at the same time (wifi would be to a hotspot hosted by his phone which is on a separate network (LTE)) would that secure his connection?

That way if his ISP goes down, the traffic should be rerouted through the phone.

Or would it be too slow to establish the swap in real time so his MS Teams connection doesn't drop out?  I could test it but in theory would it work well enough so he doesn't get disconnected?

Also unless he or you has unlimited data that will probably take a huge hit in cost.

If you got a free 1 month mobile internet  offer now is the time to take it.

Maybe someone knows how to block all websites but 1 from using wifi, while allowing everything over ETHERNET? Computer can be connected to 2 networks at the same time, but what we need is more control over data usage.

29 minutes ago, Poet129 said:

Also unless he or you has unlimited data that will probably take a huge hit in cost.

20GB free per month, it can cover a few exams, no prob. 

13 minutes ago, RageTester said:

If you got a free 1 month mobile internet  offer now is the time to take it.

Maybe someone knows how to block all websites but 1 from using wifi, while allowing everything over ETHERNET? Computer can be connected to 2 networks at the same time, but what we need is more control over data usage.

yeah they wouldn't give us free stuff. I'm looking into software routers for traffic to allocate different ports to different network adapters

32 minutes ago, Jedimaster99 said:

agreed. you might want to run it entirely off LTE if the connection is super important

he is doing that rn, I'm just LF a way to mitigate data drainage...cuz his home net might not go down at all, it's just a precaution that's eating up free data. But I guess it can't be done perfectly. Maybe if Teams had a mechanism that wouldn't disconnect you and would still keep you inside a call while trying to reconnect...also his MS forms might not submipt properly if you switch networks in the middle of filling it up, idk...