Windows 10 not installing

Ben a cava

You might want to try Linux just to see how it runs. If Linux runs fine it tells you your hardware is okay. If Linux is screwed up as well then I would look for a hardware problem.

-kp

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's not how it works, you download the media creation tool to your PC then use it to make the USB into a Windows Installer.

It’s not hardware, it worked yesterday once 1/20 time’s now it isnt

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.2Ghz 

Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC 

RAM: Team Vulcan DDR4 16GB (2x8GB)

GPU: Zoatac Gtx 1070 8GB 

Case: CoolerMaster Masterbox Lite 5 RGB

Storage: 2TB Toshiba HDD, 120GB WD Green SSD 

PSUGigabyte P650B 

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

That's not how it works, you download the media creation tool to your PC then use it to make the USB into a Windows Installer.

I downloaded the media tool and then downloaded windows from that to my usb, I ejected it and plugged it into my new pc and it’s not yellow screen

PSUGigabyte P650B 

3 minutes ago, Ben a cava said:

I downloaded the media tool and then downloaded windows from that to my usb, I ejected it and plugged it into my new pc and it’s not yellow screen

So you plug in the USB Windows Installer and then boot into it and all it does is give you that screen with the lines?

P.S. I asked for the PC specs so we can better assist you and not be in the dark. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

2 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

So you plug in the USB Windows Installer and then boot into it and all it does is give you that screen with the lines?

P.S. I asked for the PC specs so we can better assist you and not be in the dark. 

Basically, I load it up with the usb as the boot device and that’s what it loads with. If I hold enter it glitches between the windows logo and the yellow screen then it will go back to yellow screen. Mobo is msi b450m pro vdh max  @SpookyCitrus

PSUGigabyte P650B 

5 hours ago, kpluck said:

You might want to try Linux just to see how it runs. If Linux runs fine it tells you your hardware is okay. If Linux is screwed up as well then I would look for a hardware problem.

-kp

That doesn't look like windows - It looks like blinds gone sideways.

Seriously, I'd try a test install of Linux first just to see how the system acts with it, If it installes correctly you can almost say it's not a hardware issue causing the problem. Linux is free anyway so you've nothing to lose by trying it.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

22 minutes ago, Ben a cava said:

I have An updates bios and windows 10 downloaded to a usb that’s plugged in but when I load it up with my usb as the #1boot priority it just gives me a yellow screen. Any help?

That's kinda strange, but you might be stuck.

Go into the bios and reset everything to default.

Switch to UEFI mode if it's not in UEFI mode, set disk mode to RAID, not AHCI if you have a M2 NVMe drive.

Set the boot drive to the USB drive, delete all other options.

Turn Secure Boot off if necessary. (Usually not necessary to install an OS, but if the bios is too old, it might not have the secure boot key for the version of Windows being installed.)

If it will not boot at this point, the problem is either:

a) You didn't download the right version of Windows 10 x64 (eg you downloaded a 32-bit version or an ARM version)

b) You need a USB 2.0 Flash drive to install Windows from. A USB 3.x or a USB-C drive may work, but the installer might not have the driver for it. USB 3.x drivers are often needed to be enabled by a driver, so even if you can boot from it, the installer might just stop seeing the drive at some point.

Now, one more thing. On Intel boards you need to use the F6 driver to install the RST driver correctly so it gets installed to the recovery EFI partition. On AMD boards there is a RAID/SATA driver that does the same thing, however there does not appear to be a dedicated "F6" driver (though some MB's list a "preinstall" driver), that is what you need if the drive does not appear during install.

Either way, the problem appears to be that the "drive" disappears during install which to me suggests the USB driver is the problem. Use a USB 2.0 flash drive if you're not sure.

11 minutes ago, Kisai said:

That's kinda strange, but you might be stuck.

Go into the bios and reset everything to default.

Switch to UEFI mode if it's not in UEFI mode, set disk mode to RAID, not AHCI if you have a M2 NVMe drive.

Set the boot drive to the USB drive, delete all other options.

Turn Secure Boot off if necessary. (Usually not necessary to install an OS, but if the bios is too old, it might not have the secure boot key for the version of Windows being installed.)

If it will not boot at this point, the problem is either:

a) You didn't download the right version of Windows 10 x64 (eg you downloaded a 32-bit version or an ARM version)

b) You need a USB 2.0 Flash drive to install Windows from. A USB 3.x or a USB-C drive may work, but the installer might not have the driver for it. USB 3.x drivers are often needed to be enabled by a driver, so even if you can boot from it, the installer might just stop seeing the drive at some point.

Now, one more thing. On Intel boards you need to use the F6 driver to install the RST driver correctly so it gets installed to the recovery EFI partition. On AMD boards there is a RAID/SATA driver that does the same thing, however there does not appear to be a dedicated "F6" driver (though some MB's list a "preinstall" driver), that is what you need if the drive does not appear during install.

Either way, the problem appears to be that the "drive" disappears during install which to me suggests the USB driver is the problem. Use a USB 2.0 flash drive if you're not sure.

I’ve tried 2 usbs and They both don’t work. I’ve also tried what you said apart from Raid as I couldn’t find it in security and it didn’t work as I’m still on the yellow screen :( also I have a ryzen board  @Kisai

PSUGigabyte P650B 

54 minutes ago, Ben a cava said:

I’ve tried 2 usbs and They both don’t work. I’ve also tried what you said apart from Raid as I couldn’t find it in security and it didn’t work as I’m still on the yellow screen :( also I have a ryzen board  @Kisai

ok

If you were able to get to the windows installer at some point

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

That is the F6 Preinstall driver. Copy that to the same flash drive.

Try having that driver turned on during the install process. 

As for the yellow screen, that seems very strange, and the normal recommendation would be to "try another video card". But it's not clear that's even the problem.

On some systems, when you switch to UEFI boot, it will not initialize the video card until Windows starts, so the screen really should be black or showing the BIOS logo or the Windows logo depending on how far along it is in the install process. The "yellow screen of death" is more typical of the GPU failing entirely.

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

ok

If you were able to get to the windows installer at some point

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PRO-CARBON-AC#down-driver&Win10 64

That is the F6 Preinstall driver. Copy that to the same flash drive.

Try having that driver turned on during the install process. 

As for the yellow screen, that seems very strange, and the normal recommendation would be to "try another video card". But it's not clear that's even the problem.

On some systems, when you switch to UEFI boot, it will not initialize the video card until Windows starts, so the screen really should be black or showing the BIOS logo or the Windows logo depending on how far along it is in the install process. The "yellow screen of death" is more typical of the GPU failing entirely.

Should I have the f6 driver installed with the windows installer on there when I plug it in @Kisai

PSUGigabyte P650B 

3 minutes ago, Kisai said:

I've install a pc with windows for once a while back, and this was also the problem that I had. video card driver.

1 minute ago, Ben a cava said:

Should I have the f6 driver installed with the windows installer on there when I plug it in @Kisai

Just unzip it to somewhere on the flash drive, and when you run the Windows installer, when it asks what drive to install to there is an F6 driver button, that's when you turn that on.

Even if the drive is showing as available.

Hi, I used to get a weird yellow screen with white vertical lines when I installed the 64 bit only to my usb and plugged it into my new pc. Now i installed 32 and 64 and it will let me install 32 bit but give me the message that I will link in the pictures. Any help? Thanks 

305FD3CB-0485-4D22-956D-A7A652AF2B21.jpeg

PSUGigabyte P650B 

1 minute ago, Kisai said:

Just unzip it to somewhere on the flash drive, and when you run the Windows installer, when it asks what drive to install to there is an F6 driver button, that's when you turn that on.

Even if the drive is showing as available.

I’ve got a new message as I tried installing 32 bit and 64 bit which is far more helpful than that weird screen which is my most recent post if you wanna check that out. Thanks @Kisai

PSUGigabyte P650B 

Is your system a 64 bit system? Also, did you use MCT or where did you get your disk image from?

3 minutes ago, Deano727 said:

Is your system a 64 bit system? Also, did you use MCT or where did you get your disk image from?

I want to install 64 bit to my new system but it will only let me install 32 bit Otherwise I get the error message shown in picture. I downloaded the installer tool of Microsoft’s website and then downloaded windows 10 32 bit and 64 bit to the usb. I downloaded both of them as I was getting a yellow screen with white vertical lines when I only installed 64 bit to the usb @Deano727

PSUGigabyte P650B 

18 minutes ago, Ubuntu is love said:

I've install a pc with windows for once a while back, and this was also the problem that I had. video card driver.

i can install 32 bit perfectly though just not 64

PSUGigabyte P650B 

3 minutes ago, Ben a cava said:

i can install 32 bit perfectly though just not 64

To install 64-bit you HAVE TO boot the flash drive with a clean install.

2 minutes ago, Kisai said:

To install 64-bit you HAVE TO boot the flash drive with a clean install.

ive got a clean install of 64 bit and 32 bit on the drive, when i have them both it doesnt give me the yellow and white screen but instead an error code and a status which i linked @Kisai305FD3CB-0485-4D22-956D-A7A652AF2B21.jpeg 

PSUGigabyte P650B 

Is this on your rig listed in your bio? Or an older machine?

8 minutes ago, Deano727 said:

Is this on your rig listed in your bio? Or an older machine?

my new rig has a r3 3100, rx 580 and a msi b450m pro vdh max. main components @Deano727

PSUGigabyte P650B 

I would start by formatting the flashdrive and downloading the 64 bit version again without the 32 bit. If you get the identical yellow screen, white line issue, I'm really not sure. is this the first time installing an OS on this machine?

1 minute ago, Deano727 said:

I would start by formatting the flashdrive and downloading the 64 bit version again without the 32 bit. If you get the identical yellow screen, white line issue, I'm really not sure. is this the first time installing an OS on this machine?

yeh my firstime and i also got the screen again (i just installed 64 bit again)

PSUGigabyte P650B 

When you're installing, does it display normally to a certain point or yellow from the start? Are you doing a custom install or just using recommended settings? Is your monitor connected to the motherboard or the GPU?

5 minutes ago, Deano727 said:

When you're installing, does it display normally to a certain point or yellow from the start? Are you doing a custom install or just using recommended settings? Is your monitor connected to the motherboard or the GPU?

ive tried it on both but currently gpu. it shows the windows logo at first when i boot it up the it goes to like a blinking spacebar like it would in CMD prompt. it then goes to the screen and when i hold down spacebar it gliches between the windows logo and the yellow screen. after a while it just stops and flickers between the yellow and a blue screen. @Deano727 EDIT: actually i get no signal from my mobo with the hdmi....

PSUGigabyte P650B