Feedback on a sub-1200€-build desired

Hey everbody,

I'm thinking about upgrading from my current PC (Intel i5-660, a GT740, 2 GB RAM & Fatty-Dove-like SSD as the key features) to a reasonable, up-to-date PC. This would be my first build!

I'm currently willing to spend 1200 to 1400€ max. Here's what i came up with:

I'm specially looking for feedback on the Power Supply, the CPU Cooler, the Case and the Video Card:

• A friend of mine told me to not get that power supply, but he hadn't any recommendations what i should take instead. What´s wrong with that power supply? And if there is something wrong with it, what other PSU would you recommend?
  • I was also once told that if you do not overclock, a Cooler might be overkill. Should I get one and if so is that one o.k.?
  • Case: I'm not a fan of RGB lighting, so I wanted a case without Glass panels or windows ... heard that the Meshify C isn't the best for a novice to build in. Is that true?
  • For the Video Card: I have a Lenovo Y25f-10 Monitor, which has AMD FreeSync. But I could also use a GTX 1000 or 2000 series card with it, as far as i can take from here, right? A part from that is my choice reasonable?

I'm also grateful for comments on the other comments 😉

A last question for consideration: I can´t recall where i heard that one shouldn´t game on a Laptop and that that is a bad idea ...but, i'm a Student and only a casual gamer, would it be a better choice to get one of those sweet sweet Ryzen 4th Gen Notebooks (e.g. Zephyrus G14 and Asus TUF Gaming A14) instead of build an immobile machine?

Thanks in advance!

AR_14

P.S.: That post took me longer than thought - need to brush up on my english skills :D

You can get an X570 board for yha money. Either go for one of those or get a cheaper B450 like the Pro4

6 hours ago, AR_14 said:

Hey everbody,

I'm thinking about upgrading from my current PC (Intel i5-660, a GT740, 2 GB RAM & Fatty-Dove-like SSD as the key features) to a reasonable, up-to-date PC. This would be my first build!

I'm currently willing to spend 1200 to 1400€ max. Here's what i came up with:

I'm specially looking for feedback on the Power Supply, the CPU Cooler, the Case and the Video Card:

• A friend of mine told me to not get that power supply, but he hadn't any recommendations what i should take instead. What´s wrong with that power supply? And if there is something wrong with it, what other PSU would you recommend?
  • I was also once told that if you do not overclock, a Cooler might be overkill. Should I get one and if so is that one o.k.?
  • Case: I'm not a fan of RGB lighting, so I wanted a case without Glass panels or windows ... heard that the Meshify C isn't the best for a novice to build in. Is that true?
  • For the Video Card: I have a Lenovo Y25f-10 Monitor, which has AMD FreeSync. But I could also use a GTX 1000 or 2000 series card with it, as far as i can take from here, right? A part from that is my choice reasonable?

I'm also grateful for comments on the other comments 😉

A last question for consideration: I can´t recall where i heard that one shouldn´t game on a Laptop and that that is a bad idea ...but, i'm a Student and only a casual gamer, would it be a better choice to get one of those sweet sweet Ryzen 4th Gen Notebooks (e.g. Zephyrus G14 and Asus TUF Gaming A14) instead of build an immobile machine?

Thanks in advance!

AR_14

P.S.: That post took me longer than thought - need to brush up on my english skills :D

The cpu comes with a stock cooler, no need to spend more, amd is on the top of the stock cooler game. Psu’s fine, meshify c’s ok but I think it’s a little overpriced compared to other cases imo

On 6/15/2020 at 6:36 PM, 5x5 said:

You can get an X570 board for yha money. Either go for one of those or get a cheaper B450 like the Pro4

Why get a X570? What benefits does that offer me over a B450? (Did no research on the different (chipset) types)

20 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

The cpu comes with a stock cooler, no need to spend more, amd is on the top of the stock cooler game. Psu’s fine, meshify c’s ok but I think it’s a little overpriced compared to other cases imo

If i cut the cooler i could get a better Graphics Card :D Do you have other cases in mind that a better and cheaper .. but that have good airflow and no glass windows or panels?

3 minutes ago, AR_14 said:

Why get a X570? What benefits does that offer me over a B450? (Did no research on the different (chipset) types)

If i cut the cooler i could get a better Graphics Card :D Do you have other cases in mind that a better and cheaper .. but that have good airflow and no glass windows or panels?

Double the BIOS size (so more supported CPUs and features), most have MUCH better VRMs and actual firmware, PCIe 4.0 from the CPU AND from the chipset, more I/O. Its a high end product

13 hours ago, 5x5 said:

Double the BIOS size (so more supported CPUs and features), most have MUCH better VRMs and actual firmware, PCIe 4.0 from the CPU AND from the chipset, more I/O. Its a high end product

Since that PC is going to be a long-term investment (the PC should last 5-7 years with minor upgrades), that´d be a good idea.

I´m not so well informed: Would such a board have compatibility issues with the next gen processors?

2 minutes ago, AR_14 said:

Since that PC is going to be a long-term investment (the PC should last 5-7 years with minor upgrades), that´d be a good idea.

I´m not so well informed: Would such a board have compatibility issues with the next gen processors?

No, if anything, x570 will have better comparability due to the larger BIOS size and improved power delivery

11 hours ago, AR_14 said:

B550 hit today or yesterday I think, try getting one of those, pcie gen 4 is available on those

19 hours ago, YT_DomDaBomb20 said:

B550 hit today or yesterday I think, try getting one of those, pcie gen 4 is available on those

Seems like a very good choice - as far as i heard, they´ll be able to support the 4th Generation Processors of Ryzen, right? If so, i´ll definitly go with one of these

9 hours ago, AR_14 said:

Seems like a very good choice - as far as i heard, they´ll be able to support the 4th Generation Processors of Ryzen, right? If so, i´ll definitly go with one of these

Yes