*Serious* Can you help me Overlock?

Heyho!

TL:DR is: I have nice hardware and don't know how to use it. And I hate myself for it.

Let me explain:

I've never been into overlocking and have pretty much no idea about how it works.

The bad thing about this is my hardware.

-Ryzen 9 3900x

-GTX 1070 amp! (SLI 2x)

-Crosshair VIII Formula

-32Gb Trident z rgb @3200mhz

As for cooling, I'm running a full-custom hardline waterloop with a 480mm 60mm thick rad. I plan to add another rad at some point, but for now it seems alright as is.

I am ashamed of myself to have hardware like the Crosshair VIII Formula - an overlockers wet dream - and not using it to its full potential.

Thats why I'm asking for your help...

Now of course I could go on youtube and watch a video about overclocking this and that, which I did do, don't get me wrong. I tried; and I can only get my 3900x from its stock 3.8Ghz up to 4.025Ghz. Couple Mhz higher and it bluescreens and crashes. That just doesn't feel like what this thing should be capable of. I didn't fiddle with the voltage too much , because I'm just too afraid of frying my chip.

If anyone is out there with a 3900x I would very much appreciate to hear what you have done to it and what your results are now...

With amd ryen like the 3900x, there isn't really a reason to overclock manually, and it can often make games slower as you lowered the peak boost speed. The best way normally is to use PBO and to bump up the limits the chip has.

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

*snip*

Interesting. Why would the peak boost speed be lowered though? Wouldn't it just go to its peak boost, regardless of base clock?

Not trying to sound rude, of course. Just generally curious.

1 minute ago, TheBluePotato said:

Interesting. Why would the peak boost speed be lowered though? Wouldn't it just go to its peak boost, regardless of base clock?

Not trying to sound rude, of course. Just generally curious.

When you manually overclock your basically turning off the boost system thats built in and setting the speeds manually. And you normally can't hit the peak boost speed on all cores, so a lot of programs that won't use all the cores will run slower.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

*snip*

Ooh, I gotcha. Yeah that makes a ton of sence, thanks for clarifying!