Is this power supply any good?

JustAGamer325

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to ask if the corsair TX750M is a good poer supply.

Yes, but do you really need 750W? You might be better off going with a higher-end, lower wattage unit instead, like an RM550x.

What components are you looking to power with it?

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

do you need 750w ? 

550 is plenty for most cases 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Get a RX550x like Mateyy said, I assume you aren't powering a Titan. 

Just now, 5x5 said:

Yes but you probably don't need 750W. What build are you powering?

3700X, Gigabyte RTX 2070 super, Asus ROG Strix b450-f gaming mobo, 970 EVO, Barracuda 2TB, LG 27GL850 monitor, Ballistix 16GB cl16 3600mhz. Couldnt find the 650w version on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Just now, JustAGamer325 said:

Couldnt find the 650w version on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

what about the tx550m ?

or the rm550x ? 

or the MWE gold thats also a good option 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

Just now, TofuHaroto said:

what about the tx550m ?

or the rm550x ? 

or the MWE gold thats also a good option 

Thought I would need a 600w+ psu since that is the recommendation for that GPU.

Just now, JustAGamer325 said:

that is the recommendation for that GPU.

your system wont consume more than 400w so no not really

Build Log: 

6 minutes ago, JustAGamer325 said:

Thought I would need a 600w+ psu since that is the recommendation for that GPU.

Manufacturers just always tend to overshoot those numbers.

At full 100% unrealistic load, the 3700X will pull around 80-90W and the 2070S probably around 220-240W. Add in some fans, chipset, RAM, etc., and you reach let's say around 360-375W.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

I know eb is telling you to get the 550. I would say the same, but if u have money get the 750 now buy it, why not. PSus usually last longer then your PC parts, and they don't need to be upgraded for performance issues. I bought a 750 one like 5 yo ago, I would be fine with 600 too (even if I go for 9900k I have a 9600k now). But who know maybe the new nvidia cards would s*ck up like 400 W, or you go for a titan or quadro for work next time.

So if you have the money that you wouldnt spend elsewhere in the build why not, its a good psu.

(Bonus 750 W psu uses less power from the wall then the 550 W, and usually operates on lower temps)

1 minute ago, B4rta said:

but if u have money get the 750 now buy it,

why you would waste money on it 

PSus usually last longer then your PC parts,

wattage has nothing to do with quality 

and if anything things will consume less power in the future 

Build Log: 

4 minutes ago, B4rta said:

But who know maybe the new nvidia cards would s*ck up like 400 W

Pretty unlikely considering a 2080ti currently consumes 50w more than the 1080ti. 

5 minutes ago, B4rta said:

So if you have the money that you wouldnt spend elsewhere in the build why not, its a good psu.

Why not spend it for a lower wattage but better quality psu instead?

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

why you would waste money on it 

wattage has nothing to do with quality 

and if anything things will consume less power in the future 

Some ppl has wasteable money, idk if he/she has it thats why I said "if".

I know wattage has nothing to do with quality, that last longer part is in general, for every psu (interpret then quote pls).

And for the future part, I know, but like I said it (again interpret then quote pls), if he/she would need a titan/quadro, maybe for job it's better to just get a new card, than a card + new psu (and maybe resell the old one, or just put it in junk - therefore more e-waste)

26 minutes ago, JustAGamer325 said:

Asus ROG Strix b450-f gaming mobo

I’d recommend avoiding that board, get a Tomhawk Max, Mortar Max or Tuf-WiFi instead. 

maybe for job it's better to just get a new card, than a card + new psu (and maybe resell the old one, or just put it in junk - therefore more e-waste)

im pretty sure some one would know that at that point a psu upgrade is needed lol

Build Log: 

18 minutes ago, B4rta said:

(Bonus 750 W psu uses less power from the wall then the 550 W, and usually operates on lower temps)

That's not necessarily true. You've got to take into account what the actual power draw of the system is and then take into account the two PSU's efficiency curves. Even then though it'd be a marginal difference in favour of either unit.

14 minutes ago, gloop said:

Pretty unlikely considering a 2080ti currently consumes 50w more than the 1080ti. 

Why not spend it for a lower wattage but better quality psu instead?

NVidia is working on a new cooling system, is this +50W continues (but I dont thing they can manage that mutch heat), thats +100 in 3 years.

This thing was not for this psu it was just for the 550 vs 750, he can buy a better quality 750 W too. 

NVidia is working on a new cooling system, is this +50W continues (but I dont thing they can manage that mutch heat), thats +100 in 3 years.

what do you mean ? 

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

what do you mean ? 

They are making a fan system that pushes air out in 2 sides (they say its mutch better, idk why but i dont think they are doing it for no reason), and with bigger heatsinks (in founders e).

So they want to make it colder or juse it up with more W.

19 minutes ago, B4rta said:

They are making a fan system that pushes air out in 2 sides

i have seen it already 

20 minutes ago, B4rta said:

and with bigger heatsinks (in founders e)

heat sinks have nothing to do with power draw 

whats your point 

20 minutes ago, B4rta said:

So they want to make it colder or juse it up with more W.

a beefier cooler does not mean more power draw from the cooler lmao and if you mean the gpu then we cant know 

all of there are rumors 

Build Log: 

45 minutes ago, B4rta said:

bigger heatsinks (in founders e).

that has nothing to do with power consumption. if it did then nobody would be watercooling 1660tis.

3 hours ago, JustAGamer325 said:

3700X, Gigabyte RTX 2070 super, Asus ROG Strix b450-f gaming mobo, 970 EVO, Barracuda 2TB, LG 27GL850 monitor, Ballistix 16GB cl16 3600mhz. Couldnt find the 650w version on amazon.co.uk at the moment.

Feed that lot into PC Part Picker, as a build & you'll get a power rating that'll give you the power needed but those parts - add 10-15% to what it recommends & you've get the 'size' of PSU you need.

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!