[HOW TO] get cheaper / faster internet

DISCLAIMER:

The succes of this tutorial will vary hugely from situation to situation. You might get less of a deal than I did, you might get more. It is certainly worth trying though. Even if you don't come out with as much success as me, it's probaly still a win for you.

The problem:

Internet is expensive, especially if you want a reliable and fast connection. ISPs don't hesetate to make a huge profit on their bandwith. Especially in the states where internet networks are almost entirely monopolised. In these difficult times we could all use less fixed charges each month, though this tutorial will work pretty much any time.

The solution:

To some this might be real obvious and some have probaly already done this but for a lot of folks this is new news. Call your ISP and tell them you want to switch over to a new one, or just buy a new plan and let your new provider cancel your old plan. Be prepaired to actually do it though with it as this might be the case. Do some research and look into alternatives in your area, there might be more than you think. In the states finding alternatives might be quite hard, if you can't find any competitors than unfortunatly this tutorial will come to an end here for you. Perhaps you could make a difference and set up your own network.

Once your ISP has been contacted, either by you or your potential next IPS, your current ISP will call you or put you through to a customer retention representative. At this stage, whatever you do, be nice! These people get enough flak thrown their way. Make sure they like talking to you, this will give them more insentive to genuanly help you. Tell them you want to switch because of prefirebally pricing or if thats not an option some other issue. They will than probaly give you a non-advertised offer. If they don't remeber to BE NICE. Usually their first offer isn't the best offer they can do so be hasitant. Perhaps you want to think about it a little longer. Perhaps their compatitor is still cheaper. They usually give you a second, better offer. This is where I usually bite. They might give you a 3rd offer but I always take the 2nd.

My results:

My original situation was that I paid 60+ Euros for 200MB/s down reliable internet. I state reliable because that is the main selling point of the ISP I connect to, and boy, do they deliver. My first time when they tried to increasy my monthly pricy by about 2 euros, I used this tactic and it got me a monthly discount of 10 euro's per month for an entire year, after which I could cancel again. So when my price shot back up to 62 euros, I decided to cancel again. This time, I saved 10 euros a month by downgrading my internet package since I have an internal bottlenack which caps me at 100MB/s. Aditionally they offered me a discount of 15 euros a month for 10 months if I sayed for another year. This would avarage out to 12.50 euros a month, or 150 euros a year.

Other sources:

This guy makes great videos btw and wears LTT merch. Can Linus hire him already? He would be a great second Luke. Unfortunatly he's been quiet for a very long time.

Ending statement:

Results will differ per case but usually if you don't get a great deal, you still know where you might a different place where you can get internet for less money. Switching from provider almost always saves money.

I started reading the top but tbh this is how I negotiate every one of my contracts for service when they are coming to an end.  If I sign up for a contract that lasts 1 year, but then auto enrolls to a *typically* double the price plan I set email reminders to remind me 11.5 months from now and then I contact them to remove service yada yada get better for less typically.

Does work

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

I started reading the top but tbh this is how I negotiate every one of my contracts for service when they are coming to an end.  If I sign up for a contract that lasts 1 year, but then auto enrolls to a *typically* double the price plan I set email reminders to remind me 11.5 months from now and then I contact them to remove service yada yada get better for less typically.

Does work

I know for a lot of people this is quite normal. However, the majority of people I know don't do this. For those people I make this tutorial.

Just now, 07_Sev said:

I know for a lot of people this is quite normal. However, the majority of people I know don't do this. For those people I make this tutorial.

Yup, seconding the tutorial

Does work

:)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

It works if you are willing to switch or pretend to switch every one or two years

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

3 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

It works if you are willing to switch or pretend to switch every one or two years

I am ususally really willing to switch since my ISP is more expensive due to that reliability. My nagosiated deal is still more expensive than some competitors, however their reliability and equipment truly is amazing. That's why I usually accept to pay a bit more than the cheapest compettitor.