4 thousand dollar pc cant run minecraft at 60fps????

Jstagzsr

So i downloaded minecraft again.. getting all my games sorted out and installed and/or their paths set on other drives... Why is it that when i max out the settings i cant even hold 60fps? it usually around 50fps but sometimes dips below 30 and stays there for a few seconds.... and all this while the cpu is around 20% and the gpu is around 40%.... this makes no sense. Therer is PLENTY of headroom. why is Minecraft not taking advantage of the power it has at its disposal?? what do i need to set? where? how? because apparently just setting things normally doesnt work..

4k 60 max graphics settings. 32 chunks.
i9 9900k 5ghz
32gb ddr4 3200mhz

msi gaming x trio 2080ti

games running on an 860 evo 1tb ssd

C drive is a 500gb 970 evo nvme ssd.

Theres nothing slow about this pc.. on just about every other game im getting around 300 fps on 4k with max graphics settings, But minecraft is so hard to run that im only getting 20-50???? What am i missing here? i shouldnt have to turn the chunks down on a pc this powerful.

3 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

why is Minecraft not taking advantage of the power it has at its disposal??

Because it's not optimized to run on modern hardware. Minecraft still prefers fewer, faster cores than multi-core CPUs where each core may operate slower. Additionally, I believe the Windows 10 version of Minecraft is more optimized due to it running C++ (or some variant of C) whereas the Java version is using, well, Java. To give you an example of Minecraft's performance, back in early 2016 my friend built a new PC consisting of an i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1070, and Minecraft still had performance issues even with only a small handful of Quality of Life mods installed.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Are there any mods installed?
Did you try to load a custom world or are we just talking about a new world?

Java version or Windows 10 version?

2 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Because it's not optimized to run on modern hardware. Minecraft still prefers fewer, faster cores than multi-core CPUs where each core may operate slower. Additionally, I believe the Windows 10 version of Minecraft is more optimized due to it running C++ (or some variant of C) whereas the Java version is using, well, Java. To give you an example of Minecraft's performance, back in early 2016 my friend built a new PC consisting of an i7-6700k, 16GB RAM, and a GTX 1070, and Minecraft still had performance issues even with only a small handful of Quality of Life mods installed.

makes sense in theory, but i still think something is set wrong.. My old pc was an i7 4790k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr3 at 19xx mhz, and 8gb rx580 and it ran 60fps 4k no issue at all. This new pc crushes my old pc in every way including in single core performance. It doesnt make sense.

so its not a settings issue you dont think? its java edition not being able to do its thing on new hardware? this is extremely annoying.. Minecraft is the game i slap on when i wanna mindlessly kill time while i listen to podcasts or listen to music, etc..

3 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Are there any mods installed?
Did you try to load a custom world or are we just talking about a new world?

Java version or Windows 10 version?

java edition. no mods yet. and new world (large biomes). new fresh everything. i actually forgot to save my old worlds so i have like thousands of hours completely lost which sucks very very very much. but it is what it is. no use crying over spilled worlds. lol

1 minute ago, Jstagzsr said:

java edition. no mods yet. and new world (large biomes). new fresh everything. i actually forgot to save my old worlds so i have like thousands of hours completely lost which sucks very very very much. but it is what it is. no use crying over spilled worlds. lol

Damn it. I was hoping you said Win10 edition so I could do some testing on my side.

The last time I've seen the Java edition was 4 years ago.

Even tho Minecraft is a badly running pile of block$h*t you should still see at least 60FPS.

But tbh I don't know what's going on. Other than the obligatory "reinstall everything", I can't give you much. Sorry :( 

How did you install windows on this new PC?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

5 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Damn it. I was hoping you said Win10 edition so I could do some testing on my side.

The last time I've seen the Java edition was 4 years ago.

Even tho Minecraft is a badly running pile of block$h*t you should still see at least 60FPS.

But tbh I don't know what's going on. Other than the obligatory "reinstall everything", I can't give you much. Sorry :( 

yeah its java unfortuinately. atleast its not bedrock though.. When i initially bought it i didnt even know there was different versions till it asked which version i wanna buy. So i arbitrarily picked java. From what im hearing though several places say the win10 version is the best, then java, then bedrock at the bottom, (then every other random other build of it for random platforms).

thanks for the attempted help though. Much appreciated.

1 minute ago, Enderman said:

How did you install windows on this new PC?

with the flash drive i created specifically for it. New fresh install. i even bought a new license. win 10 pro. completely fresh everything. The only thing i kept from my old pc were my accounts and my irreplaceable media hdd.

5 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

with the flash drive i created specifically for it. New fresh install. i even bought a new license. win 10 pro. completely fresh everything. The only thing i kept from my old pc were my accounts and my irreplaceable media hdd.

Was the HDD unplugged when you installed windows?

Did you install the latest GPU drivers through geforce experience?

Have you tried installing java manually from here (do all three windows installers) https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

4 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Was the HDD unplugged when you installed windows?

Did you install the latest GPU drivers through geforce experience?

Have you tried installing java manually from here (do all three windows installers) https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

all 7 drives were installed when i installed windows.
all correct nvidia drivers are installed correctly
all drivers of every device installed correctly
And i installed java edition from the link they emailed me when i bought the game.

Try setting both windows and nvidia power settings to high performance. You may also want to increase the ram allocated to minecraft.

13 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

Try setting both windows and nvidia power settings to high performance. You may also want to increase the ram allocated to minecraft.

you have to allocate ram to minecraft? why would it not just use the 32gb i have available?

I'll look into that immediately. ty!

12 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

you have to allocate ram to minecraft? why would it not just use the 32gb i have available?

I'll look into that immediately. ty!

It defaults to 2 GB. You can change it by choosing installations, press the 3 dots, edit, more options, change -Xmx2G. A larger memory size can have stutters when java needs to look through much more memory to garbage collect. Some people recommend no more than 4GB for vanilla, but IMO you want more, especially with 32 chunks. There are also tons of other java arguments people argue about.

You can use the f3 menu to see when memory is garbage collected.

25 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

It defaults to 2 GB. You can change it by choosing installations, press the 3 dots, edit, more options, change -Xmx2G. A larger memory size can have stutters when java needs to look through much more memory to garbage collect. Some people recommend no more than 4GB for vanilla, but IMO you want more, especially with 32 chunks. There are also tons of other java arguments people argue about.

You can use the f3 menu to see when memory is garbage collected.

so too little is bad and too much is bad... loo.. and 4gb isnt enough.. so 8? 6? and i dont see how that will increase my frame rates but ill do whatever if itll help anything at all cuz 30fps on a $4k pc is just pathetic. im not running the game in 32k resolution. lol

The java edition has always ran like shit. idk if optifine still works but maybe download whatever the latest version is and try that out. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Just now, plsno said:

The java edition has always ran like shit. idk if optifine still works but maybe download whatever the latest version is and try that out. 

idk what that is but ill definitely check it out! ty.

7 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

idk what that is but ill definitely check it out! ty.

Some mod that helps increase your fps in minecraft. 

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

1 hour ago, Jstagzsr said:

so too little is bad and too much is bad... loo.. and 4gb isnt enough.. so 8? 6? and i dont see how that will increase my frame rates but ill do whatever if itll help anything at all cuz 30fps on a $4k pc is just pathetic. im not running the game in 32k resolution. lol

Try these args, but switch to maybe 8 on both xmx and xms