Why are my Ryzen 7 3700x temps high on IDLE???

Hi Guys,

I just built a new PC with the following specs and I am seeing high IDLE temps out of my CPU:

ASUS B450-I Gaming motherboard

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

EVGA RTX 2070 XC

GSkill Trident Z 32gb DDR4 @3200mhz 

Corsair SF750 80+ Platinum

NZXT M22 AIO Cooler

Phanteks EVOLV Shift AIR Case

I am seeing in my CAM software and CPUID HWMonitor that my idle temps are soft of high. How can I resolve this issue or is this not an issue?

I have included screenshots below.

techTipsTMPImage.thumb.PNG.0dfe5728788c13bf81a37ec15291519f.PNG

Hi Guys,

I just built a new PC with the following specs and I am seeing high IDLE temps out of my CPU:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

EVGA RTX 2070 XC

NZXT M22 AIO Cooler

I am seeing in my CAM software and CPUID HWMonitor that my idle temps are soft of high. How can I resolve this issue or is this not an issue?

Mine idles at the same with a dark rock pro 4, I idle at like 60-70 but IN games I never get higher than like 82c, still hot but usally it will just spike to that then back down to 70 something like 78

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

100% normal for a 3700x to run hot at idle because of idle voltages. This is because AMD has these tuned to the very maximum of what they can do and because of PBO it keeps the voltages spiked and at the ready to perform. Here is a look at my HWInfo64 of my 3700x under a full custom loop in an A/C cooled room to 68f

image.png.49e1180a0ce75ad19a7ce05c439d00b3.png

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

AFAIK Cam Software is not Accurate for Temps. Ryzen Master is the most accurate for thermal data sadly. If you have the Power plan for High Performance, youll idle around 40-53c pretty easily. If this bothers you turn down the power plan to balanced.

8 minutes ago, itsyourboi311 said:

Hi Guys,

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

EVGA RTX 2070 XC

NZXT M22 AIO Cooler

Dude, I can see your core clocks are 4.3 ghz while u are not using them. Go to windows power setting and change it to balanced profile, that should bring your core clocks down especially while on idle. Second thing, all you guys really don't need an aio to cool your cpu, a noctua nhu12s would beat your aio and is maintenance free, in a couple of years, you will have to service your aio..... 

@Shimejii Yes you're right CAM is not showing accurate data. I've included a screenshot of temps from Ryzen Master and CAM side by side. That temp in the Ryzen master should be safe on IDLE yes? BTW I am new to pc building so forgive my novice questions.

ryzenMasterCAM.PNG

@Dredd1100 Its already on AMD Ryzen Balance. I did not that my clock speed was high in IDLE. Should I choose the balanced recommended in the image below?

Or do I need to adjust CPU clock speed within the BIOS?

windowsPowerSettings.PNG

5 minutes ago, itsyourboi311 said:

@Shimejii Yes you're right CAM is not showing accurate data. I've included a screenshot of temps from Ryzen Master and CAM side by side. That temp in the Ryzen master should be safe on IDLE yes? BTW I am new to pc building so forgive my novice questions.

ryzenMasterCAM.PNG

Yes your fine. Its Safe :)

7 minutes ago, Dredd1100 said:

Dude, I can see your core clocks are 4.3 ghz while u are not using them. Go to windows power setting and change it to balanced profile, that should bring your core clocks down especially while on idle. Second thing, all you guys really don't need an aio to cool your cpu, a noctua nhu12s would beat your aio and is maintenance free, in a couple of years, you will have to service your aio..... 

Your 1st post on the forums and you do something like this, Quite disappointing that you have no clue on what the fuck you are talking about. Learn before you speak about this subject again. AIOS of good quality will last 5 years on average before they need to be replaced. Most AIO's you cannot service and most people shouldnt, they arent designed to. The point of AIO's is to keep things quieter then on air cooling, or needing a better cooling solution (360 AIO Beats any air cooler on the market). They can be better for overclocking headroom and generally are the go to method for cooling without going custom water cooling. 

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Yes your fine. Its Safe :)

Your 1st post on the forums and you do something like this, Quite disappointing that you have no clue on what the fuck you are talking about. Learn before you speak about this subject again. AIOS of good quality will last 5 years on average before they need to be replaced. Most AIO's you cannot service and most people shouldnt, they arent designed to. The point of AIO's is to keep things quieter then on air cooling, or needing a better cooling solution (360 AIO Beats any air cooler on the market). They can be better for overclocking headroom and generally are the go to method for cooling without going custom water cooling. 

So yeah, you are saying the aios can be quieter than a noctua?, lol yes it seems that way to you cuz u haven't used a noctua. Also, the m22 nzxt is a 120mm aio, really crap, any shitty air cooler would beat that. But coming back to the topic, ryzen does run hot, get a noctua nhu12s and you will thank me later. And also liquid works good only for shorter periods, but on longer runs of workload, it's not able to bring down those temps but rather stays up.... I'm not saying aios are bad, I used them, there are better options in air 

21 minutes ago, itsyourboi311 said:

Hi Guys,

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x

EVGA RTX 2070 XC

NZXT M22 AIO Cooler

1 minute ago, Dredd1100 said:

So yeah, you are saying the aios can be quieter than a noctua?, lol yes it seems that way to you cuz u haven't used a noctua. Also, the m22 nzxt is a 120mm aio, really crap, any shitty air cooler would beat that. But coming back to the topic, ryzen does run hot, get a noctua nhu12s and you will thank me later. And also liquid works good only for shorter periods, but on longer runs of workload, it's not able to bring down those temps but rather stays up.... I'm not saying aios are bad, I used them, there are better options in air. 

I clearly stated Good Quality AIO, the m22 Is a garbage AIO, similar to quite a few of the lower end aios. 

I have a NH-D15 on my 3800x, It is pretty quiet, my 360 AIO i also had on my 5930k build was a bit quieter since i was able to run it at lower fan speeds for similar thermals. Also im not sure you understand Thermodynamics and how they interact with water. Air coolers tend to heatsoak faster so they get to their maximums usually within a minute of a load being applied. AIO's (especially 360mm) Tend to take a fair bit longer to reach maximum temperature, allowing the cpu to boost higher for longer if its thermally contstrained (and not set manually to a clock speed like most overclocks are)

All in all, Air cooling vs watercooling at stock settings one does not perform better then the other as the only issue it that arises is noise. If you try to overclock there are limits to both, usually air cooling hits its limits far quicker then an AIO will. 

120/140mm AIOS should not exist for Cpus, i would only use them for GPUs and even then id much prefer a 240/280 front mount for a GPU and 280/360 top mount for a CPU. But the only GPUS worth doing that for are the 2080ti Tier cards. Even then its just easier to buy the AIB Pre-done ones that have them built in.

[EDIT]

Edited by Colonelramirez
correction

-= Threads merged =-

Lets keep it to one topic please.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER