Switching from controller to keyboard and mouse

GTB_Greedy

What the best way to to get used to movement on a keyboard, I’ve been playing console most my life and since Call of duty became crossplay compatible I switched to pc. I’ve still always used a controller but feel as tho I should try to use keyboard and mouse to get the most out of it. Anyone got a tips or ticks to help me get my movement to the same level it was on a controller? 

Get a xbox controller for PC. done...

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Practice closing Chrome tabs quickly.

As far as movement -- I guess it's just gonna take time.  Get used to strafing and looking with the mouse as opposed to moving diagonally all the time.  You still have that diagonal movement when pressing two keys, but there will be much more strafing.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Get a xbox controller for PC. done...

I’ve been using my ps4 controller on my pc but being able to snap around and aim better With the mouse is better it’s just my movement on a keyboard sucks 

practice makes perfect. stick a bright tape on the WASD keys.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

3 minutes ago, GTB_Greedy said:

I’ve been using my ps4 controller on my pc but being able to snap around and aim better With the mouse is better it’s just my movement on a keyboard sucks 

Get used to "strumming" the keys.  Like you're playing the piano.  Hit the "chords" for diagonal movement.  

If you're playing with a WASD setup then get used to strumming adwawdawdawdawddwadwadwaawdawdawddwadwadwaadwdwaawddwaawdasddsaasddsaasddsaasddsaasddsaawddwaawddwadsasaddsaads

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Also always keep the cross hair at head height so you only have to flick left or right when trying to shoot someone.  

Your movement will be far and beyond when you get used to K+M.

Controller....urgh..  🤮

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

7 hours ago, GTB_Greedy said:

What the best way to to get used to movement on a keyboard, I’ve been playing console most my life and since Call of duty became crossplay compatible I switched to pc. I’ve still always used a controller but feel as tho I should try to use keyboard and mouse to get the most out of it. Anyone got a tips or ticks to help me get my movement to the same level it was on a controller? 

Character movement or aim?  Quite different things and different exercises will ignore others.  Aim trainers train your aim with the mouse, but you don't really do any moving of your character.  Otherwise, download CSGO (it's free), and download aim trainers there.  There are some with timed scenarios where you move through the maps, some is just stationary aim training etc.  And you can try out Team Deathmatch in CS for quick respawns and games to familiarize with the game.

If you have the base MW2019 game on PC, there's other stuff you can do there that I can recommend, but let's see what your actual situation is first :)

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

17 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

Character movement or aim?  Quite different things and different exercises will ignore others.  Aim trainers train your aim with the mouse, but you don't really do any moving of your character.  Otherwise, download CSGO (it's free), and download aim trainers there.  There are some with timed scenarios where you move through the maps, some is just stationary aim training etc.  And you can try out Team Deathmatch in CS for quick respawns and games to familiarize with the game.

If you have the base MW2019 game on PC, there's other stuff you can do there that I can recommend, but let's see what your actual situation is first :)

My aiming is not to bad I only managed to play a few games of tdm last night but my aiming is probably better already on mouse (could still work on my tracking a bit) it’s the my movement that’s rough like sliding, crouching, slide cancel, drop shoting,  cooking grenades and moving, peaking corners etc. If I hold a spot down and only move back and forth I can still get high kills but that’s no good for when I try to play warzone on the keyboard and mouse which is my main goal.

3 minutes ago, GTB_Greedy said:

My aiming is not to bad I only managed to play a few games of tdm last night but my aiming is probably better already on mouse (could still work on my tracking a bit) it’s the my movement that’s rough like sliding, crouching, slide cancel, drop shoting,  cooking grenades and moving, peaking corners etc. If I hold a spot down and only move back and forth I can still get high kills but that’s no good for when I try to play warzone on the keyboard and mouse which is my main goal.

Slide cancel has been debunked IIRC, doesn't make you any faster.  I would say Plunder might be a good way to get your mechanics up as the only punishment for dying is a short wait to respawn.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

this is the thing.

people might judge you for your lack of familiarity of keyboard and mouse operation in fps games, some might mock you for playing an fps game with a controller, on pc, including me. playing a shooter game on pc with a controller is just silly. like eating a steak with a pair of chipsticks.

but this is the beauty of pc gaming. you don't have to force yourself to adapt a totally different control scheme, you can play the game however you like. having difficult playing shooter games? why not try playing other games? try something that is slower paced than pvp games (they are bad for you either). 3rd person shooter should be an easy start, like farcry, tomb raider.

why everybody post the spec of their rig here? i dont! cuz its made of mashed potatoes!

3 hours ago, zassou said:

this is the thing.

people might judge you for your lack of familiarity of keyboard and mouse operation in fps games, some might mock you for playing an fps game with a controller, on pc, including me. playing a shooter game on pc with a controller is just silly. like eating a steak with a pair of chipsticks.

but this is the beauty of pc gaming. you don't have to force yourself to adapt a totally different control scheme, you can play the game however you like. having difficult playing shooter games? why not try playing other games? try something that is slower paced than pvp games (they are bad for you either). 3rd person shooter should be an easy start, like farcry, tomb raider.

I’m happy using a controller normally  it’s just that I’m trying to take it to the next level in cod by using a mouse so i can take advantage of the snappiness and better aim it’s because cod has advanced movement I’m struggling I can play Cato fine on keyboard and mouse because it’s more of a basic movement 

Going from controller to keyboard and mouse is great. The mouse allows you to be much more accurate. Of course you have to be calm under fire. If you are jittery as hell while being shot at in a game then a mouse wont do anything for you. If you can learn to be calm and use the mouse right in a FPS or games that involve shooting you can literally become walking death. 

I used to be a console peasant so I was used to playing with a controller. But I have been PC gaming for a while now. I knew I could never use a controller again when I tried playing RDR1 and I couldn't hit a damned thing using the controller. I literally needed to use the deadeye ability for 95% of my shots. Using the controller was terrible. I felt like crap, I kept saying to myself I am never this bad in shooting games. It's the controller. RDR1 is a great game by the way, even if you have to play with a controller. 

I only use my Xbox One controller in games that don't involve shooting. Otherwise it's the mouse and keyboard for me. I also use the controller in racing and flight games like Ace Combat 7. Cause using the keyboard and mouse in racing and games that involve flying is really bad. 

Practice makes perfect ;).

My guess is you're just not used to it.

Ask yourself how long have you been playing with controller and then compare that to PC gaming experience.

Don't be bothered that your movement is not as good as it was, it's only natural in your exact scenario. I bet it will get way better over time, just don't stress over it as it gets you nothing. When you get tilted, if that's what happens, just remind yourself you're in the process of learning and failure is acceptable. You learn from it. So just learn for now and become a havoc-wrecking-machine just a bit later.

17 hours ago, GTB_Greedy said:

Little finger rests on shift or left ctrl

other 3 fingers on a w d

thumb on space bar.

Index finger can be moved to 'e' 'r' and 'f' for interactions

ring finger to 'q' for further interaction

Middle finger down to 's' for backwards movement.

thumb can slide to 'alt'

Beyond those basics, just practice.

You wont meet the same level u can on a controller.. You will get far further.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

22 hours ago, GTB_Greedy said:

Wouldn't bother for CoD. More esport orientated titles go KB+M. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

On 5/22/2020 at 10:03 PM, Lord Vile said:

Wouldn't bother for CoD. More esport orientated titles go KB+M. 

Please stop spreading that mindset.

I'm referring to 'if it's more competitive/pro/esport it's more valid' approach.

Games are entertainment. The most important thing is fun factor. No game is better than other, for a player, based on esport scene comparison between the two.

2 hours ago, Soag said:

Please stop spreading that mindset.

I'm referring to 'if it's more competitive/pro/esport it's more valid' approach.

Games are entertainment. The most important thing is fun factor. No game is better than other, for a player, based on esport scene comparison between the two.

Generally controllers are more fun, better movement and you can be more relaxed in games like CoD. In esports titles good aim assist isn't a thing so it's not really advisable to use a controller. 

Personally I use a controller for CoD because I've always used one and I play a LOT of zombies where I can be in a game for 2 or 3 hours + with no breaks. And use KB+M for things like Overwatch and Doom. Tried to use a controller in OW for fun and it wasn't a good time. You can literally only play rein and brig effectively. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?