First time pc build enthusiast level ram help

Hey guys,

I currently have been gaming on laptops until now and my dream is to build the biggest baddest non essential over the top custom water cooled pc of my life for the first time.

My pc part wishlist:

cpu: 10900k

gpu: 3080ti 

mobo: z490 Godlike

psu: Corsair Ax1600i

case: Corsair obsidian 1000d

storage:

boot drive 500gb Evo plus ssD    A 2tb Evo plus ssd and an hdd with 14tb

cooling:

Custom water cooled loops with 2 480mm rads and 1 420mm rad in a push-pull fan config with over 18 fans (gets pretty hot where i live)

Now the question is about ram:

I have read alot on ram but I am still a bit dense when it comes to choosing the right ram. 

Z490 Godlike supports 5000mhz 2 slots ddr4 ram but i was reading that the 10900k maximum supports only 2933 mhz of ram speed. So how do i make sense of that? Am i missing something? 

Also which ram would you guys recommend? Speed and brand wise? I am fine with either 32 or 64gb total ram.

Yes the 10900k only supports upto 2933mhz of RAM. This is a nice set of 32gb 2933mhz RAM. Personally though, if you are going for the biggest baddest most overkill PC I would go for a 3950x or 3900x. Hope I helped

PC: Ryzen 7 2700 | RX 5700 XT | Asus Prime B450-PLUS | CoolerMaster Masterwatt 600W | 32GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz RAM | 512GB NVME SSD & 7TB combined HDD | macOS Monterey 12.6.6, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and WIndows 10 Pro x64

Laptop: MacBook Pro 15" 2015 | i7-4870HQ | R9 M370X | 16gb | 1tb SSD

iPhone 13 Pro Max | 256GB | iOS 15.7

My Folding Stats | #MuricaParrotGang

If you're waiting for RTX 3000, might as well wait for Zen 3 as it will come out first and leaks are suggesting it will be world's better than Zen 2 and Comet Lake

57 minutes ago, Guiltyx said:

Yes the 10900k only supports upto 2933mhz of RAM. This is a nice set of 32gb 2933mhz RAM. Personally though, if you are going for the biggest baddest most overkill PC I would go for a 3950x or 3900x. Hope I helped

@Only a NoOb Um no? 2933 is the non XMP support, K chips have no software limit on what memory speed you can run.

11 hours ago, TrigrH said:

@Only a NoOb Um no? 2933 is the non XMP support, K chips have no software limit on what memory speed you can run.

Thankyou that was really really helpful. 

On that note since 5000mhz ram is extremely expensive can i get like a 4000 something mhz and overclock it to 5000 with the z490 msi godlike?

3 minutes ago, Only a NoOb said:

Thankyou that was really really helpful. 

On that note since 5000mhz ram is extremely expensive can i get like a 4000 something mhz and overclock it to 5000 with the z490 msi godlike?

Your ability to reach a high memory speed is limited by:

The memory controller in your CPU.

Your ability to adjust voltage and memory timing settings.

The quality and type of memory ICs on the ram you choose.

5000mhz is quite new and without high voltages most memory sticks wont do it. Hence the increased cost.

Eitherway its not something you really need, but if you want the best chance of getting it you need to pay.