Metro last light redux keeps crashing on startup

I am pretty much new to pc gaming, but my first pc less than a month ago and recently started playing the metro games through Xbox game pass on my pc. Started with 2033 and I could play for an hour or a couple hours at a time before it would crash the computer to to my desktop and I had to restart the game. After I beat it I moved to last light and same story. Made it like 3/4 through the game and I decided I was gonna work out why its crashing and fix it. I downloaded DDu and did a clean install of the latest version of my gpu drivers, Aswell as my chipset drivers. And now I literally cannot even get to the loading scene of the game, let alone even the main menu before it just freezes and I have to restart my computer. I ran exodus, gears 4 & 5, final fantasy 14, 3DMark, unigine heaven and valley all at max settings with no issues whatsoever but metro last light redux crashes on startup. I've heard from other people that having Physx on is what was causing issues for them. I had it on at first even though I have an AMD gpu(5700xt red devil) bc I didn't know it was an nvida thing at first. I can't even get to the menu to change it though. I have also reinstalled the game twice on both my hard drive and ssd. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? Its infuriating.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x 4.2ghz 1.225v 76c max

Asrock x570m pro4 mobo

Rx 5700 xt Red Devil stock 68c max

G.skill 32gb 3600mgz cl16 ram

Cm850 gold psu

1tb sabrent rocket nvme gen4 ssd

2tb seagate hard drive

I had the same problem with Metro 2033 and I eventually just gave up, wish I could help but it's fundamentally broken from what I've been able to see from other people's posts online.

14 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

I had the same problem with Metro 2033 and I eventually just gave up, wish I could help but it's fundamentally broken from what I've been able to see from other people's posts online.

Playing now and fine with my specs.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

• 5 months later...
On 5/17/2020 at 3:17 AM, TesticleTactics said:

I am pretty much new to pc gaming, but my first pc less than a month ago and recently started playing the metro games through Xbox game pass on my pc. Started with 2033 and I could play for an hour or a couple hours at a time before it would crash the computer to to my desktop and I had to restart the game. After I beat it I moved to last light and same story. Made it like 3/4 through the game and I decided I was gonna work out why its crashing and fix it. I downloaded DDu and did a clean install of the latest version of my gpu drivers, Aswell as my chipset drivers. And now I literally cannot even get to the loading scene of the game, let alone even the main menu before it just freezes and I have to restart my computer. I ran exodus, gears 4 & 5, final fantasy 14, 3DMark, unigine heaven and valley all at max settings with no issues whatsoever but metro last light redux crashes on startup. I've heard from other people that having Physx on is what was causing issues for them. I had it on at first even though I have an AMD gpu(5700xt red devil) bc I didn't know it was an nvida thing at first. I can't even get to the menu to change it though. I have also reinstalled the game twice on both my hard drive and ssd. Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this? Its infuriating.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 3700x 4.2ghz 1.225v 76c max

Asrock x570m pro4 mobo

Rx 5700 xt Red Devil stock 68c max

G.skill 32gb 3600mgz cl16 ram

Cm850 gold psu

1tb sabrent rocket nvme gen4 ssd

2tb seagate hard drive

Can you run the game after turning on the debug mode from the Nvidia control panel? Your overclock may not suit this game

53 minutes ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

Can you run the game after turning on the debug mode from the Nvidia control panel? Your overclock may not suit this game

Thats an excellent point, sometimes what people think is a stable overclock isn't actually stable and also some games are more susceptible than others. 

Tho, question, what does "debug mode" even do? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

39 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats an excellent point, sometimes what people think is a stable overclock isn't actually stable and also some games are more susceptible than others. 

Tho, question, what does "debug mode" even do? 

It will disable the overclock without altering any of your GPU software settings and allow us to understand if an aggressive overclock was causing issues.

2 minutes ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

It will disable the overclock without altering any of your GPU software settings and allow us to understand if an aggressive overclock was causing issues.

Wait... Even factory overclocks? 

Because otherwise you could always just disable your oc in Afterburner or similar software. But you cannot really "turn off" a factory overclock, without investing a lot of time to find the right settings in software, and even then I think it would never be possible to have accurate "stock" boost clocks etc? 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Wait... Even factory overclocks? 

Because otherwise you could always just disable your oc in Afterburner or similar software. But you cannot really "turn off" a factory overclock, without investing a lot of time to find the right settings in software, and even then I think it would never be possible to have accurate "stock" boost clocks etc? 

No, it won't alter the factory OC settings... just the ones that the user changed (and there could be many which could be difficult to disable quickly/keep track of)

15 minutes ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

No, it won't alter the factory OC settings... just the ones that the user changed (and there could be many which could be difficult to disable quickly/keep track of)

Ah, yeah I can see that being an issue sometimes, personally I only use AB,  so I'd always just reset that... 

But yeah it would be nice to be able to disable factory overclocks just like that lol, but I guess that would be in the bios then.

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 hours ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

It removes the factory overclock and sets the card to the Nvidia reference clock speeds.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

18 minutes ago, jones177 said:

It removes the factory overclock and sets the card to the Nvidia reference clock speeds.

That didn't happen for me. I have a 1080TI which has a boost of 1730 MHz but I did get close to 1850 with the debug mode.

You guys sure are necromants, reviving a 5 month old topic.

As for Metro, removing initial intro was a fix for one of those.

3 hours ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

That didn't happen for me. I have a 1080TI which has a boost of 1730 MHz but I did get close to 1850 with the debug mode.

Base and boost clocks are what Nvidia garranties a GPU can do. It is not what cards actually run at.  

For example, the boost clock of a 1080 ti is 1670mhzs. I think both of us would be unhappy if our cards could only do that. 

This is what it looks like on my EVGA 1080 ti SC2. As you cans see with debug mode on I am close to your number but my card goes up with it off.

I think there is an issue with your card.

1080tidebugmode.thumb.jpg.5694b7f02d068902a154a3b5b1b31138.jpg

Op has a AMD card so no Debug mode.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

8 hours ago, jones177 said:

Base and boost clocks are what Nvidia garranties a GPU can do. It is not what cards actually run at.  

For example, the boost clock of a 1080 ti is 1670mhzs. I think both of us would be unhappy if our cards could only do that. 

This is what it looks like on my EVGA 1080 ti SC2. As you cans see with debug mode on I am close to your number but my card goes up with it off.

I think there is an issue with your card.

1080tidebugmode.thumb.jpg.5694b7f02d068902a154a3b5b1b31138.jpg

Op has a AMD card so no Debug mode.

Yes, my friend. I was facing some issues with crashing and realized that my card possibly had issues with OC. That's actually how I stumbled upon the debug mode option 🙂 I don't know if I was being too greedy and messed up something but at this point I am getting a stable 2.0 Ghz in all games. Do you think that is good enough for a Zotac 1080TI Amp Extreme?

And yes, I totally missed the fact that the OP has an AMD card. Any idea what the alternative to debug mode would be here?

4 hours ago, Vibes NoVibes said:

Yes, my friend. I was facing some issues with crashing and realized that my card possibly had issues with OC. That's actually how I stumbled upon the debug mode option 🙂 I don't know if I was being too greedy and messed up something but at this point I am getting a stable 2.0 Ghz in all games. Do you think that is good enough for a Zotac 1080TI Amp Extreme?

And yes, I totally missed the fact that the OP has an AMD card. Any idea what the alternative to debug mode would be here?

I bought a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme and that is how I discovered debug mod. It was a little too Extreme. It put me off buying anything extreme.

If you are not crashing your are doing fine.   

I've had intermittent issues with Last Light too.

Shame, as it's a great game.

Having played it on ps4 with no issues, albeit at a much reduced frame rate etc..., it's frustrating to move to a "superior" platform and have problems. 

When it runs it's obviously much better looking and running at a significantly improved frame rate...but, still, it doesn't mitigate the frustration. 

I'm afraid I can't even offer anything more than commiserations.