How can I Delete windows from a ssd?

AaronG 21

So I recently build a pc for myself, everything was new except a m.2 ssd that I bought of eBay, I didn’t know it came with Windows, I thought I was gonna install it, so I want to delete the windows from the ssd and install the same windows 10 on the ssd, bc the windows that the ssd has doesn’t let me do stuff bc of the older owner stuff are kinda in there

On the off-chance that the Windows install has a license, could be more convenient for you to reset the storage device and just do the normal setup.

Interrupt the boot process 3 times (usually by holding the power button when you see the circling dots come up), and then you'll get the start-up repair menu. One of the options will be to delete everything, and once you select that it becomes a fresh windows install.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

19 minutes ago, AaronG 21 said:

I didn’t know it came with Windows

I can tell you now, it didn't. It probably will not have an activated license.

bc of the older owner stuff are kinda in there

Nearly every seller will wipe a used drives before sending to the buyer.

I thought I was gonna install it, so I want to delete the windows from the ssd and install the same windows 10 on the ssd

When setting up Windows 10, just select Custom install, select every partition individually, and press "Delete". Then, select the new SSD from the list and click "Next".

How to Install Windows 10 on a New Hard Drive (with Pictures)

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

Just now, PorkishPig said:

A lot of sellers plain forget to do this.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

6 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

A lot of sellers plain forget to do this.

I've never seen that myself, but the thought that someone could forget to do this when just selling a drive is chilling me to the bone.

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

4 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

I've never seen that myself, but the thought that someone could forget to do this when just selling a drive is chilling me to the bone.

I've had plenty of ebay drives show up full of data. Pretty much every small lot of drives I've bought were unwiped. Always good practice to wipe your drives as a lot of refurbishing companies just don't.

12 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

I can tell you now, it didn't. It probably probably not have an activated license.

When setting up Windows 10, just select Custom install, select every partition individually, and press "Delete". Then, select the new SSD from the list and click "Next".

How to Install Windows 10 on a New Hard Drive (with Pictures)

Ok I wanna thank you for the feedback, so #1 I am as surprised as you are, but there is no water mark saying “activate windows” and he didn’t wipe his info, some of the apps were there, it seems that he was a person who tested systems since there was nothing of personal info other than his name and windows acc connected to it. And how can I delete the window and install the same windows but factory, like I make my acc and everything? Bc when I turn on the computer, it directly goes to windows and it says “Greg” no password no nothing and it puts me to the desktop, even when I put the pen drive with the windows installer in that drive 

Just now, AaronG 21 said:

12 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

on the flip side, buyers like myself won't skim the data and sometimes get a free license out of it ;>

Ok I wanna thank you for the feedback, so #1 I am as surprised as you are, but there is no water mark saying “activate windows” and he didn’t wipe his info, some of the apps were there, it seems that he was a person who tested systems since there was nothing of personal info other than his name and windows acc connected to it. And how can I delete the window and install the same windows but factory, like I make my acc and everything? Bc when I turn on the computer, it directly goes to windows and it says “Greg” no password no nothing and it puts me to the desktop, even when I put the pen drive with the windows installer in that drive 

simply type "reset" in the bottom left corner and follow the steps, easy as pie.

I highly suggest removing internet connection for this, so as to not be forced to make/add a microsoft account.

Primary PC:

19 minutes ago, Fishscene said:

When installing Windows 10, you'll have the option to wipe the drive to install Windows.

Just now, Fasauceome said:

on the flip side, buyers like myself won't skim the data and sometimes get a free license out of it ;>

Lol I want to do that as well but I can’t use it, it says something like “settings can’t be changed due to your administrator 

Lol I want to do that as well but I can’t use it, it says something like “settings can’t be changed due to your administrator 

I edited my post above, can you include a screenshot of what hap[ens why you try it?

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, AaronG 21 said:

The computer's probably Domain joined, which will add restrictions like this. As long as Windows Activation does not list the current install as Windows 10 Enterprise, you can snag the key with ProduKey from https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html. Otherwise, just grab the key from your previous Windows install before wiping it.

11 minutes ago, AaronG 21 said:

Bc when I turn on the computer, it directly goes to windows and it says “Greg” no password no nothing and it puts me to the desktop, even when I put the pen drive with the windows installer in that drive

You will need to select a temporary boot device during POST in order to boot to the Windows installation media.

Desktop

Homelab

So what do you guys think I should do? Keep the windows or reset it? I wanna mention the fact that I currently have no internet connected to it, so idk if I could log the dudes info out and install mine, it does give me the option to sign in my Microsoft acc, but I haven’t been able, I currently have another topic going on, on what WiFi card to buy, bc when I use the Ethernet, it says “‘Ethernet 3’ doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” which idk what to do with.