Which motherboard and cooler to get for 10700k?

Hi all, about to pre order a i7 10700k. Need suggestions on a motherboard and cpu cooler to go with it. Its hard due to lack of reviews at the moment. Also I may need to upgrade my case If I go for an AIO since my 2080 super ftw3 is a big card and I dont think I would fit a radiator at the front with fans. 

Looking to overclock. Budget between £190-£300 for motherboard and up to £150 for cpu cooler. I dont mind air or water, just want the best performance for my money. Not too fussed if I need to upgrade my case as I'm using my old parts to build another pc. 

Gaming only build which is why I am going with intel. 

Any advice/recommendations much appreciated.

Current spec:

CPU: i5-8400

GPU: Evga rtx 2080 super ftw 3 ultra

Motherboard: Gigabyte z370xp sli 

PSU: corsair hx750i platinum 

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000mhz 51mm 

Case: corsair 460x

I would go with the AIO from arctic
GN made a video on it a few weeks ago

for pure gaming performance, the 10700k shoud be a little better @ki8aras. It is basically a 9900k afaik, which beats the 3700x in a lot of games. For everything else, I agree with you and I would also buy the 3700x but @Silverbackk explicitly said, he( or she) wants to go intel

Yeah I agree amd is better for everything else other than gaming. As said my system is purely for gaming hence why I am going with intel. Value is pretty good with the i7 10700k being equivalent to an i9 9900k for less. I ordered a 9700k a month ago but cancelled my order to wait for 10th gen. 

20 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I would go with the AIO from arctic
GN made a video on it a few weeks ago

What do you think 240 or 360? 10th gen are going to be hot. 

I think they have a 280 variant. I would go with that i guess

2 minutes ago, Devryd said:

I think they have a 280 variant. I would go with that i guess

Thanks for the suggestion!

34 minutes ago, Devryd said:

for pure gaming performance, the 10700k shoud be a little better @ki8aras. It is basically a 9900k afaik, which beats the 3700x in a lot of games. For everything else, I agree with you and I would also buy the 3700x but @Silverbackk explicitly said, he( or she) wants to go intel

It’s true. The saying is “tell them once, tell them twice, take their money”  not sure if it’s been once or twice. 

if the 10700 is a 9900k it will run between 110-300w depending on bin and OC.  for 300w a large AIO is needed.  There are air coolers that claim over 300w, but practically they poop out around 250w

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

33 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s true. The saying is “tell them once, tell them twice, take their money”  not sure if it’s been once or twice. 

if the 10700 is a 9900k it will run between 110-300w depending on bin and OC.  for 300w a large AIO is needed.  There are air coolers that claim over 300w, but practically they poop out around 250w

Would Something like the corsair h150i be good? Was consider the noctua d15 but I'd have to get lower profile ram for it to fit. Making it the same/cheaper to go for a big aio. So a 240/280 wouldn't be enough then? 

1 hour ago, Silverbackk said:

Would Something like the corsair h150i be good? Was consider the noctua d15 but I'd have to get lower profile ram for it to fit. Making it the same/cheaper to go for a big aio. So a 240/280 wouldn't be enough then? 

I don’t know.  The issue is the high end of overclock for the 9900k is the top end of 240/280mm.  It’s also theoretically the top end of big air.   If big air won’t work because of thermal envelope, 240 probably won’t either.  There’s a 7pipe Macho air cooler that’s a tiny bit bigger than the others.  Might have the gumption.  Might not.  Hard to say.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I watched a video (kitguru? Can't remember) that indicates Intel binning is much harsher this generation.

So to get their 10 core chips, they binned the i7 and i5 lower.

Getting an i7-10700k to the same clocks as a 9900k may not be a reality.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

I watched a video (kitguru? Can't remember) that indicates Intel binning is much harsher this generation.

So to get their 10 core chips, they binned the i7 and i5 lower.

So getting an i7-10700k to the sake clocks as a 9900k may not be a reality.

So it’s a 10 core with 2 cores shut off and not actually a 9900k.  Makes sense.  Goes to That thing about intel CPUs actually all being the same chip, but merely with various bits turned off.  I’ve never been able to verify that one.  Goes all the way back to the 2 core 4 core stuff.

If true it’s going to be a poor bin and at a minimum it will run hot.  Unless it’s a good 10 core with one bad core that didn’t make spec so it got cut to an 8 core. Edge case maybe.  

What was that company that did it’s own binning of chips?  Sounds like this is a job for them.   Stupid secrecy corporate huckster chicanery

11 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

So it’s a 10 core with 2 cores shut off and not actually a 9900k.  Makes sense.  Goes to That thing about intel CPUs actually all being the same chip, but merely with various bits turned off.  I’ve never been able to verify that one.  Goes all the way back to the 2 core 4 core stuff.

If true it’s going to be a poor bin and at a minimum it will run hot.

Here's an article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-cpus-overclocking-binning-power-voltage-scaling-statistics-detailed/amp/

Data is from MSI.

Intel-10th-Gen-Desktop-CPU-Binning-Power

• Level A - Best Dies, Extra headroom for overclocking
  • Level B - Standard Dies, Run per Intel spec and can provide decent overclocking
  • Level C - Below Average Dies, Run below Intel spec and may not provide better overclocking

Seems only 63% of their i7 samples had decent or better OC headroom. The big deal is 32% underperformed, meaning they needed more voltage to just hit spec.

Iirc the 8700k something like 80%+ could hit 5ghz, which was considered decent OC. So that's a big difference.

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 hour ago, Mister Woof said:

Here's an article.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wccftech.com/intel-10th-gen-comet-lake-cpus-overclocking-binning-power-voltage-scaling-statistics-detailed/amp/

Data is from MSI.

Intel-10th-Gen-Desktop-CPU-Binning-Power

• Level A - Best Dies, Extra headroom for overclocking
  • Level B - Standard Dies, Run per Intel spec and can provide decent overclocking
  • Level C - Below Average Dies, Run below Intel spec and may not provide better overclocking

Seems only 63% of their i7 samples had decent or better OC headroom. The big deal is 32% underperformed, meaning they needed more voltage to just hit spec.

Iirc the 8700k something like 80%+ could hit 5ghz, which was considered decent OC. So that's a big difference.

Interesting article.  Good example of the problems of binary thinking.

It says it has more level A chips and fewer level C chips.  As if the two numbers are similar.

The number of c chips in the samples though while slighty lower is almost the same between the core types.  whereas the number of A chips in i5 and i7 is nearly zero.  So i9 isn’t binned but i5 and i7 are, and they’re binned negatively to raise the number of chips for i9.

Sounds like a rebinning company is flat out needed for these intel’s.  Chances of getting a lead chip are always at least near a third, and chances of getting a gold chip are near zero unless an i9 is bought and then it’s still unlikely.

it also implies that the one-chip-with-things-turned-off thing might be true, or at least doesn’t say it isn’t because of the thin percentage of i5s and i7s that are A chips.  That would happen if you had a mostly good chip with a flaw.

Edited by Bombastinator
Additional hemming and hawing

47 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Interesting article.  Good example of the problems of binary thinking.

It says it has more level A chips and fewer level C chips.  As if the two numbers are similar.

The number of c chips in the samples though while slighty lower is almost the same between the core types.  whereas the number of A chips in i5 and i7 is nearly zero.  So i9 isn’t binned but i5 and i7 are, and they’re binned negatively to raise the number of chips for i9.

Sounds like a rebinning company is flat out needed for these intel’s.  Chances of getting a lead chip are always at least near a third, and chances of getting a gold chip are near zero unless an i9 is bought and then it’s still unlikely.

it also implies that the one-chip-with-things-turned-off thing might be true, or at least doesn’t say it isn’t because of the thin percentage of i5s and i7s that are A chips.  That would happen if you had a mostly good chip with a flaw.

Sad part is there's still no compelling argument to move on from the 8700k :(

Likely same exact IPC and frequency given binning, and only more cores.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

I don’t know.  The issue is the high end of overclock for the 9900k is the top end of 240/280mm.  It’s also theoretically the top end of big air.   If big air won’t work because of thermal envelope, 240 probably won’t either.  There’s a 7pipe Macho air cooler that’s a tiny bit bigger than the others.  Might have the gumption.  Might not.  Hard to say.

I'm not going to go crazy with a overclock, Haven't overclocked before. So I'm guessing a 360 will be the way to go? Not a massive difference in price to a 240/280 anyway. My only concern is that if i go with the 360 In most cases it has to mounted at the front, would this negatively effect gpu temps? 

Maybe ill just pre order the cpu today to make sure I don't have any problems getting hold of one and wait to see what mobo's and cpu coolers are recommended once reviews come out.  

4 minutes ago, Silverbackk said:

I'm not going to go crazy with a overclock, Haven't overclocked before. So I'm guessing a 360 will be the way to go? Not a massive difference in price to a 240/280 anyway. My only concern is that if i go with the 360 In most cases it has to mounted at the front, would this negatively effect gpu temps? 

If you’re not going crazy with overclock you won’t need a 360.  Remember the top end (which is crazy overclock) is the only thing that requires big AIO.  A $30 air cooler will get you stock or maybe a bit better.  Big air will likely get you all core near or above 4ghz.  It’s that 5.0-5.1 that’s going to need the 360.

5 minutes ago, Silverbackk said:

Maybe ill just pre order the cpu today to make sure I don't have any problems getting hold of one and wait to see what mobo's and cpu coolers are recommended once reviews come out.  

Looking at this binning thing I would say pre-order through a binning company (which will cost extra) rather than intel to make sure you don’t get a lead chip.  They are apparently pretty common, and the gold chips are so rare it doesn’t matter on the i7 according to available data. (Which could change)  Of course you might get something nice because of company pre-order.  A die roll.

49 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Sad part is there's still no compelling argument to move on from the 8700k :(

Likely same exact IPC and frequency given binning, and only more cores.

Pretty much 5ghz since 7700K is expected even on the lowest Bin silicon.

The only road block is user cooling abilities.

1.4v on any 14nm starts getting hot.

With a decent custom loop, would expect clocks at 5.2-5.3ghz so long as you can remove the BTUs fast enough exceeding now 1.40v and reaching the diminishing returns point at these frequencies.

No point to upgrade 8700K except for the thread count, 12 is plenty. 

Hi Silverbackk, I too am in the same position as you in regards to waiting for 10th gen and trying to anticipate what cooler to get which will be able to control their heat. In the end I’ve gone for a Corsair H115i Platinum which is a 280mm AIO. I personally feel like having a 360mm on my case (which like you would require front intake mounting) isn’t the best idea as all the heat coming off your radiator will then be blown into the case and as such warm up the ambient temp inside your case, causing everything else to run warmer. By how much, I don’t know, but that’s my opinion on it.

I’m aware there may be better performing AIO’s

than this one too, but I’m a dirty Corsair fan boy and also wanted the aesthetic (and rgb) to match the rest of my build.

As for motherboard I wouldn’t know what to recommend I’m afraid. I have one in mind which I’m looking at for me personally but I feel others with more knowledge could make a better recommendation for that one.

Hope this helps at all

01000001 01110110 01100001 01101100 01100001 01101110 01100011 01101000 01100101

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Pretty much 5ghz since 7700K is expected even on the lowest Bin silicon.

The only road block is user cooling abilities.

1.4v on any 14nm starts getting hot.

With a decent custom loop, would expect clocks at 5.2-5.3ghz so long as you can remove the BTUs fast enough exceeding now 1.40v and reaching the diminishing returns point at these frequencies.

No point to upgrade 8700K except for the thread count, 12 is plenty. 

Even if Ryzen 4000 (or whatever Intel comes up with) can improve my performance per core by 20%, I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon.

Feels like since Sandybridge stuff has really slowed down. Only way to go is sideways now, which is what AMD seems to be doing well.

9 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

Even if Ryzen 4000 (or whatever Intel comes up with) can improve my performance per core by 20%, I don't think I'll be upgrading any time soon.

Feels like since Sandybridge stuff has really slowed down. Only way to go is sideways now, which is what AMD seems to be doing well.

On the downside, nothing exciting likely for you to upgrade to until next year at the minimum

On the upside, you clearly made an awesome CPU choice at the right time!

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar 

Did I get in before the "BUT RYZEN BETTER VALUE!!! MORE CORES!! WHY NOT RYZEN?!?!" comments?  

If you are looking to overclock, expect it to run hot with the high power usage.  If you do air, its going to need the high tier stuff to get a good all core OC (D15 / DRP4).  I had the D15 with a 5.0 all core very comfortable on my 9900k and the 10700 should be comparable to that (if not maybe a bit hotter). 

AIO, would aim for a 280 personally (or 360 if your case fits it).  

El Zoido:  9900k + RTX 4090 / 32 gb 3600mHz RAM / z390 Aorus Master 

The Box:  3900x + RTX 3080 /  32 gb 3000mHz RAM / B550 MSI mortar