PC Build Planning? ($2,000 USD +- $300)

Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
10 minutes ago, Green L.E.D. said:

The P2 is $64 and the Samsung is $108. Is it worth upgrading to a Samsung M.2?

If you also intend to use the SSD for the OS other than games and other applications, don't get the P2. Samsung's 970 Evo is a great option, but tends to be pretty overpriced compared to other similarly performing options, so I'd suggest looking on deals on either the Sabrent Rocket, ADATA SX8200 Pro, WD Black SN750, HP EX950 or Silicon Power A80.

Budget (including currency):

$2,000 (Willing to budge up or down on the budget)

US (Access to MicroCenter)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

AAA Titles, SolidWorks (CAD), Personal (read: light) video rendering

Other details

• Looking for a build around a 2080ti and a 3900x.
  • I'm upgrading from a laptop and finally am hoping to be above 60hz & 60FPS.  
  • A budget monitor recommendation would be nice but is not included in the budget.
  • I'm a bit lost on the Ryzen OC even after rewatching the LTT videos but I can cross that bridge when I get to it.
  • My parts will be sourced about a month from now so I'm hoping to snag a decent B550 board.
  • I love that case but if you can find one with a similar aesthetic that's cheaper then go ahead.

All customs parts in the list below are based off the Dallas MicroCenter prices.

PCPartPicker Part List
Type Item Price
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 64.95 CFM CPU Cooler $79.95 @ Amazon
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ Best Buy
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $73.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $64.99 @ B&H
Case NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ B&H
Custom AMD Ryzen 9 3900X $409.99
Custom Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA III 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive $50.99
Custom EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC Dual-Fan 11GB OPEN BOX $1079.96
Custom PowerSpec 850 Watt 80 Plus Gold ATX $99.55
  Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts  
  Total $2044.40
  Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-12 03:53 EDT-0400  

I appreciate the help! Thanks :)

Edit: I know prices are pretty steep right now bc of COVID so it's still okay to give items at their regular average price.

Looks fine, you could get a much cheaper 650-750W PSU though, preferably from a well known brand like EVGA/seasonic/corsair, and also maybe a samsung 970 evo SSD instead of the P2.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

Looks fine, you could get a much cheaper 650-750W PSU though, preferably from a well known brand like EVGA/seasonic/corsair, and also maybe a samsung 970 evo SSD instead of the P2.

For some reason PSU prices are absurd right now so it's difficult to find standard prices. I was thinking it might be because of COVID? Do you have any links? I was hoping for modularity in the PSU but understand if I need to give that up in order to save money to use elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Green L.E.D. said:

For some reason PSU prices are absurd right now so it's difficult to find standard prices. I was thinking it might be because of COVID? Do you have any links? I was hoping for modularity in the PSU but understand if I need to give that up in order to save money to use elsewhere. 

Yeah probably covid, low supply high demand.

Check pcpartpicker, I don't really know which to recommend in your budget.

Also you're right the 970 is much more expensive, stick with the P2.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

10 minutes ago, Green L.E.D. said:

If you also intend to use the SSD for the OS other than games and other applications, don't get the P2. Samsung's 970 Evo is a great option, but tends to be pretty overpriced compared to other similarly performing options, so I'd suggest looking on deals on either the Sabrent Rocket, ADATA SX8200 Pro, WD Black SN750, HP EX950 or Silicon Power A80.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

6 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Great suggestions, thank you. I'll be keeping an eye out for dropping prices!

Edit: Found the Silicon Power A80 for $74.98 USD so a fairly easy swap

i would get a x570 board and invest a bit more in a better power supply.

21 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i would get a x570 board and invest a bit more in a better power supply.

I stated in other details that I'll be buying a month from now so will probably drop the b450 from the list for the b550. Would you recommend an x570 board over a b550?

b550s are not out yet, reviews are not out so no one really know which are good/bad and which are actually capable of powering a 3900x

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

b550s are not out yet, reviews are not out so no one really know which are good/bad and which are actually capable of powering a 3900x

Okay good point. Do you have any recommendations for an x570 board that can take the 3900 (no OC) in my budget?

@boggy77I'm seeing that the motherboard is sold out. Any others similar or will it come back in stock later?

6 hours ago, Green L.E.D. said:

@boggy77I'm seeing that the motherboard is sold out. Any others similar or will it come back in stock later?

Lots of stuff is out of stock lately. It's difficult to figure out what you can buy. What websites are you looking at?

On 5/13/2020 at 2:06 AM, boggy77 said:

Lots of stuff is out of stock lately. It's difficult to figure out what you can buy. What websites are you looking at?

Microcenter, BestBuy, Newegg, Amazon. Even went to tigerdirect lol

On 5/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, Green L.E.D. said:

I stated in other details that I'll be buying a month from now so will probably drop the b450 from the list for the b550. Would you recommend an x570 board over a b550?

Wait for B550. There will be plenty of boards to choose from, and the few I have seen look fine in the VRM department. Also pretty sure that I read/watched there will be no chipset fan as well which is a big plus.