Disable or enable IPV6 in router?

Im_Ben

I'm tinkering with my internet and read recently that they're some arguing about to disabling or enabling IPV6 can actually be a good/bad thing to do. So, what are the benefits and disadvantages to enabling it?

With that said, should I keep IPV6 disabled in my router or leave it on? I'm trying squeeze every bit of speed I can get out of my internet connection. So I thought I should ask since it was turned off by defualt in my settings. 

It's just an IP address, a few numbers to identify a system. It's not going to make anything noticeably faster.

CPU - FX 8350 @ 4.5GHZ GPU - Radeon 5700  Mobo - M5A99FX Pro R2.0 RAM - Crucial Ballistix 16GB @ 1600 PSU - Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler - Hyper 212 EVO Storage - Samsung EVO 250GB, WD Blue 1TB

A lot of ISPs still don't even support IPv6...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 hours ago, DarkEnergy said:

It's just an IP address, a few numbers to identify a system. It's not going to make anything noticeably faster.

😕 I'm not entirely sure about that. It seems to be faster, or more efficient based on the lower number of hops it takes to get to a destination. I'm talking only three or four hops versus 9-12 hops with IPV4. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

2 hours ago, BlackManINC said:

😕 I'm not entirely sure about that. It seems to be faster, or more efficient based on the lower number of hops it takes to get to a destination. I'm talking only three or four hops versus 9-12 hops with IPV4. 

Number of hops doesn't matter, what's the latency of the route in v4 & v6? Also disabling IPv6 will cause websites that use it to stop working and since we've run out of IPv4 addresses its a problem which is going to get bigger and bigger with time.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Number of hops doesn't matter, what's the latency of the route in v4 & v6? Also disabling IPv6 will cause websites that use it to stop working and since we've run out of IPv4 addresses its a problem which is going to get bigger and bigger with time.

Some people think IPV6 addresses the wrong issues. Why do we need IPV6 for more addresses if we are already using NAT addresses anyway? They also claim IPV6 is more more secure among other things. Not sure how true that really is though, because again, NATing sort of addresses security in itself. 

System Specs

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • Motherboard
    Gigabyte AMD X570 Auros Master
  • RAM
    G.Skill Ripjaws 32 GBs
  • GPU
    Red Devil RX 5700XT
  • Case
    Corsair 570X
  • Storage
    Samsung SSD 860 QVO 2TB - HDD Seagate B arracuda 1TB - External Seagate HDD 8TB
  • PSU
    G.Skill RipJaws 1250 Watts
  • Keyboard
    Corsair Gaming Keyboard K55
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

7 minutes ago, BlackManINC said:

Some people think IPV6 addresses the wrong issues. Why do we need IPV6 for more addresses if we are already using NAT addresses anyway? They also claim IPV6 is more more secure among other things. Not sure how true that really is though, because again, NATing sort of addresses security in itself. 

NAT is not security though, it's not randomized and doesn't provide anything of value other than making things more difficult especially with CGNAT and other double nat situations.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC: