3600 hitting 95c on stock cooler?

I ordered a aftermarket but its gonna be like 1.5 weeks until its here due to 'rona. in hwinfo64 the 3600 is reporting temps up to 95-96c while gaming!

I opened the side and its been keeping the CPU at like 85c but do you think I have done any damage/will do damage running these temps? I heard 7nm is really frail. 

That reeks of a improper mounting. The stock cooler isn't amazing but it's not quite that bad. 

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

4 minutes ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

That reeks of a improper mounting. The stock cooler isn't amazing but it's not quite that bad. 

or the pre applied thermal paste is dry.

Just now, boey said:

True. I made the assumption that Ops build is new. 

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

12 minutes ago, boey said:

i mean it came with the paste applied, not separate in a tube. Do you think theres damage conducted by running the chip at 95c?

28 minutes ago, SecondGuessing said:

i mean it came with the paste applied, not separate in a tube. Do you think theres damage conducted by running the chip at 95c?

Unlikely even if it ran for a good bit. CPUs will underclock or just shut off GENERALLY before damage. I agree with FruitBasketSilex I think you mounted it wrong. Possible its the thermal paste but generally thats with last gen chips (been on the shelves awhile).

Technically the hotter a chip runs, the lower its life span.  But will this cause it to break in the next week, month, year even?  Unlikely, they are designed to throttle down to their maximum safe temperature.

Would it be safer to temporarily underclock it?  Absolutely.

If opening the case makes a big difference though, it maybe suggests the case needs more/better fans?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If opening the case makes a big difference though, it maybe suggests the case needs more/better fans?

That's a fair point. OP, what is your case fan setup like? 

Spoiler

Or possibly even a tweak of the BIOS fan profile as it may be set to the quietest profile.
I don't know what options they have on AMD as I'm all Intel at the moment.

WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)

I'd want to pull and remount it as well.

I tried the stock cooler for my 3600 before my AM4 mount arrived and never had temps remotely that high. Maybe mid 60s while gaming? I did scrape/clean the cooler and apply Noctua H1 before I installed it. But the stock paste was still wet and soft.

I'd like to know what your case fan setup is like as well.

12 hours ago, FruitBasketSilex said:

True. I made the assumption that Ops build is new. 

even if its new, it can dry out. have seen it multiple times, that cpu box and the plastic cover isn't fully airtight so air can still go in and dry it out. out of maybe 30-40 coolers unboxed, i've seen 2 coolers that have fresh paste. One was a Corsair H100i(the one that's white with the LL120s, and I bought right after it came out), and my Cryorig H7, where Cryorig gave an entire 4g tube of high quality thermal paste(on a cheap ass cooler as well)

12 hours ago, SecondGuessing said:

probably no damage, would suggest buying a cheap tube of arctic mx-4 of thermal grizzly kryonaut to replace the stock paste. 

1 hour ago, boey said:

even if its new, it can dry out. have seen it multiple times, that cpu box and the plastic cover isn't fully airtight so air can still go in and dry it out. out of maybe 30-40 coolers unboxed, i've seen 2 coolers that have fresh paste. One was a Corsair H100i(the one that's white with the LL120s, and I bought right after it came out), and my Cryorig H7, where Cryorig gave an entire 4g tube of high quality thermal paste(on a cheap ass cooler as well)

probably no damage, would suggest buying a cheap tube of arctic mx-4 of thermal grizzly kryonaut to replace the stock paste. 

Have you had any problems with MX-4?  My tune seemed to separate into its components whereas my years old MX-2 is still fine.

10 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Have you had any problems with MX-4?  My tune seemed to separate into its components whereas my years old MX-2 is still fine.

Nope. I have a big bag of tubes of thermal paste. Ranging from the free ones you get with coolers to Kryonaut. It's possible you got a bad batch or something. I have a tube of MX-4 that's still pretty fresh even though I opened it 2 years ago. Same with Kryonaut. Have a tube of brandless thermal paste I used for testing which I opened around the same time that is completely dried at this point though

Only thing I've really noticed between my tubes of thermal paste is viscosity, kryonaut lowers temps by a little and MX-4 is pretty cheap, but they all do the job well(some of the cheaper ones are a little thick and gooey though)

Not sure about how long they last, my first build using MX-4 was in 2018 and that's still running completely fine, although it is a 240mm AIO on a stock 3570k(yeah, i know. long story).

Undo the overclock...

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

Heres my setup:

https://imgur.com/a/EiN9SIw

PC case is a phanteks enthoo pro m. I feel maybe the front fan could be higher cause its blowing into the GPU but the front vents are at the bottom not the top.

Yeah with a external fan blowing directly on the CPU my temps are normal so I think i can rock it this way until my new CPU cooler comes. I believe it comes with thermal paste but should I buy some extra anyways(there appears to be a difference in quality with thermal paste)? I ordered a scythe Fuma 2.

Just hope there's just no damage, but it seems like everyone is saying I shouldn't be worried? I mean as long as the CPU is okay I will feel okay haha, just read some reports of high temps killing these 7nm chips so it has me feeling paranoid.

No OC btw, I just disabled PBO..