Switches like the MX Brown

AndreiArgeanu

So, currently I have had a keyboard with Outemu Blue switches for over 2 years and I want to switch something with the similar tactile feel but without the loud clicks.

What I do want to know is what are all the MX Brown like switches other than the ones that are obviously named after the MX Brown, (e.g. Outemu Brown, TTC Brown, Kailh Brown etc.)? Because there are a lot of other switches that I don't get what they're like (White, Black, Speed Silver, Green, Halo Clear/True etc.).

Also what switch would you recommend best for gaming and typing that are quiet and tactile?

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Also what switch would you recommend best for gaming and typing that are quiet and tactile?

No one can answer this question for you, it boils down to personal preference. Buy a switch tester, and decide for yourself what you think is the best.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

5 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

No one can answer this question for you, it boils down to personal preference. Buy a switch tester, and decide for yourself what you think is the best.

Switch testers give pretty bad impression of the switch. Gotta have a keyboard and type on it, at least for a few words/sentences/minutes, to feel what they're really like.

For example, Mitsumi Miniatures feel pretty damn decent when they're loose switches but feel fucking awful in a keyboard, and bind horribly when in a keyboard. Nobody really knows why, they just do.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Switch testers give pretty bad impression of the switch.

Not necessarily. They provide a good starting point for getting familiar with different switch types (tactile, linear, etc.) and then choosing a keyboard.

That's just my opinion anyways.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

8 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

There's like 80 different switches out there at the very least, and some that  I can't even find testers for like for Logitech switches and some others. I'd have to spend more money and time on finding testers than I would on buying an actual keyboard, that's why I asked for a personal prefference.

1 minute ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

There's like 80 different switches out there at the very least, and some that  I can't even find testers for like for Logitech switches and some others. I'd have to spend more money and time on finding testers than I would on buying an actual keyboard, that's why I asked for a personal prefference.

Someone else's personal preference is an awful way to pick a keyboard.

I fucking love Alps SKCL/SKCM but highly doubt you will want a vintage board that requires cleaning and will likely be fairly expensive.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

47 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

White

Cherry MX White (Milk) is terrible, it's basically a MX Green with grease applied in between the click jacket and the stem it mutes the click but makes it super inconsistent and just feels awful 

Cherry MX Clear (Translucent White) Is alright if you're fine with the weight and the scratchiness of the unretooled switches, and if you're fine with the keycap stems breaking off a few times because of the stem's really tight tolerances. They're p decent if you can find an older batch and lube/film them and spring swap them to make some nice ergo clears 

50 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Halo Clear/True

They're only good for meme holy panda switches which are p over rated imo. 

48 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Black

Cherry MX Blacks are heavy linear switches and are p good if you can find a good Vintage or Retooled batch, they feel and sound p nice after switch films spring swapping and lubing.

51 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Speed Silver

Just a shittier red for gamers 

52 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

Green

Just a heavier mx blue

54 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

The differences would be in weight, height of the tactile bump, length/sharpness of the tactile bump, position of the tactile bump, and over all smoothness of the switch operation. How much do each of those matter to you and what is you preference on each?

If you wan't something that is similar to MX blue but without the click, then I would stat away from any switch with brown in the name. Maybe Kailk Box Brown. But there are other Kailh box switches with sharper more MX blue like bumps. The only issue there is that they tend to have the bump positioned at the top of the stroke rather than near the middle like MX Blue. If position is more important than sharpness then Zealios V1s may be more to your liking. Or MX clear with a lighter spring.

If you want my personal preference for tactiles, get Zealios V2s, lube or replace and lube the springs so they don't sound crunchy and pingy. But as noted before using someone else's personal preference is not a good basis for choosing a switch.