Worried about PSU upgrading from radeon rx 580 to rtx 2060..

Go to solution Solved by CopiWasTaken,
2 minutes ago, ZeroTwo02 said:

So I have a cyber power prebuilt that is a couple years old now.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700x

Radeon rx 580 4gb

Corsair 2x 8gb ddr4

Total of 3 terabytes of storage

The red flag came after I ordered the new Rtx 2060 online. I found out that I only have a 430 watt PSU in the prebuilt. Some say the power draw of the rtx 2060 is not that much more than the 580 but I just don't want to fry the card with an inadequate psu. I also would rather not drop extra money on a new PSU and have to rewire the whole system if I really don't have to. Please help! If so any recommendation on a specific psu?

430 watts should be enough, you wont really have much headroom though. If you want to buy a new PSU, I would reccomend the Cooler Master MWE Gold 650w, that is a nice power supply that will last future upgrades.

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700x

Radeon rx 580 4gb

Corsair 2x 8gb ddr4

The red flag came after I ordered the new Rtx 2060 online. I found out that I only have a 430 watt PSU in the prebuilt. Some say the power draw of the rtx 2060 is not that much more than the 580 but I just don't want to fry the card with an inadequate psu. I also would rather not drop extra money on a new PSU and have to rewire the whole system if I really don't have to. Please help! If so any recommendation on a specific psu?

2 minutes ago, ZeroTwo02 said:

Specs:

Ryzen 7 1700x

Radeon rx 580 4gb

Corsair 2x 8gb ddr4

430 watts should be enough, you wont really have much headroom though. If you want to buy a new PSU, I would reccomend the Cooler Master MWE Gold 650w, that is a nice power supply that will last future upgrades.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

The 2060 consumes less power than the RX 580. If it worked with the 580, then it should work with the 2060 too.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

3 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

The 2060 consumes less power than the RX 580. If it worked with the 580, then it should work with the 2060 too.

Awesome, that's what ive been hearing but wanted a second opinion, thanks!

6 minutes ago, ItzCopiouz said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the PSU and see if it's in stock locally!

Just now, ZeroTwo02 said:

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out the PSU and see if it's in stock locally!

If not, the corsair Rm 650w is also great. Always happy to help!

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

4 minutes ago, ZeroTwo02 said:

Awesome, that's what ive been hearing but wanted a second opinion, thanks!

The 2060 actually uses around the same amount of power as a 580. Not sure what he's talking about. But an upgrade is HIGHLY recommended as the 2060 produces heat and heat can choke a power supply just like any other component. Strongly suggest getting, at the very least, a Corsair CX 550