Why is there "Year of Linux" Hype

I find the Year of Linux hype peculiar. I started seeing it when wine 3.x.x and dxvk first came out, I get the excitement around  strong gaming performance at one click via lutris, but the year of linux seems a bit much.

Keen to hear thoughts on this.

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

i didnt even know of this hype. i think the Proton of steam is why, least as a linux user.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

it's because people want it to happen but it won't.

i've been a linux user since i was 12 (i'm 20 now so 8 years) but it's always been a secondary OS for me. i always need Windows for something.

now with Ubuntu focusing more on Snap which is a flaming pile of shit and other distro's being based on that flaming pile of garbage i don't see it becoming really popular anytime soon. i tried Ubuntu last night and it immediately broke on me with errors everywhere when i tried to install stuff because of snap.

Linux dev's need to focus on one desktop, one distro and just make something that works. once they do i'll consider switching back, until then i'm staying on Windows. i don't like Windows that much but it's better than Linux at least at the moment.

She/Her

At this point it's a meme, the joke being that every new development gets hyped as though it will suddenly mark the year that Linux becomes popular on the desktop and yet it never seems to happen.

29 minutes ago, Twilight said:

Linux dev's need to focus on one desktop

There is no single entity that develops a "Linux operating system" that you could consider to be a standard. Linux (the kernel) has its own development community, distributions simply package it with a bunch of other software that other people made to make it a complete operating system. When you say "Linux devs" you're talking about a bunch of separate groups doing their own thing, many of whom don't even consider themselves to be operating system developers.

32 minutes ago, Twilight said:

one distro and just make something that works.

You could just... pick one distro. The major ones all pretty much work.

33 minutes ago, Twilight said:

i tried Ubuntu last night and it immediately broke on me with errors everywhere when i tried to install stuff because of snap.

Weird, it has always worked fine for me. Still, snap is actually an effort to do what you were asking for - one package standard for all distributions that doesn't depend on the exact libraries and repositories you have access to.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Personally I'm constantly switching between because one can't fulfill the other, my blasphemy levels are out of control 

I would say Windows is much more garbage of course, Linux would be better with more third-party support 

What do you guys even want?

and 

What is really your problem?

and

Distro-Hopping is just big indicator that people don't really know what is going on beneath the surface.

and

For full support go with RHEL.

and

Regardless of how many years people have used Linux or not, most will never start to think out of the "micorsoft box".

4 hours ago, Twilight said:

it's because people want it to happen but it won't.

i've been a linux user since i was 12 (i'm 20 now so 8 years) but it's always been a secondary OS for me. i always need Windows for something.

now with Ubuntu focusing more on Snap which is a flaming pile of shit and other distro's being based on that flaming pile of garbage i don't see it becoming really popular anytime soon. i tried Ubuntu last night and it immediately broke on me with errors everywhere when i tried to install stuff because of snap.

Linux dev's need to focus on one desktop, one distro and just make something that works. once they do i'll consider switching back, until then i'm staying on Windows. i don't like Windows that much but it's better than Linux at least at the moment.

Ubuntu 20.04 is in my development VM, but I just use .deb and debian repos.  I stay away from basically anything that isnt an AppImage, but I am also a 10year+ linux user.

Ubuntu works out of the box, it is just a bit boring, ironic from a debian SID user lol

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

3 hours ago, Sauron said:

At this point it's a meme, the joke being that every new development gets hyped as though it will suddenly mark the year that Linux becomes popular on the desktop and yet it never seems to happen.

There is no single entity that develops a "Linux operating system" that you could consider to be a standard. Linux (the kernel) has its own development community, distributions simply package it with a bunch of other software that other people made to make it a complete operating system. When you say "Linux devs" you're talking about a bunch of separate groups doing their own thing, many of whom don't even consider themselves to be operating system developers.

You could just... pick one distro. The major ones all pretty much work.

Weird, it has always worked fine for me. Still, snap is actually an effort to do what you were asking for - one package standard for all distributions that doesn't depend on the exact libraries and repositories you have access to.

Yeah has to be a meme, Linux is barely breaking 2% global desktop usage.

There is really only 2 Linux desktop distributions Debian and Arch.... the rest are nice forks 😉

3 hours ago, Chunchunmaru_ said:

Personally I'm constantly switching between because one can't fulfill the other, my blasphemy levels are out of control 

I would say Windows is much more garbage of course, Linux would be better with more third-party support 

It is very chicken and egg.  Either go open-sorce or go wine right now

3 minutes ago, TheFlyingSquirrel said:

There is really only 2 Linux desktop distributions Debian and Arch.... the rest are nice forks

Oh, I is that so?

Linux_Distribution_Timeline.svg

9 minutes ago, benitiv said:

Oh, I is that so?

It was a joke.  Though it wasn't far off based on your amazing chart.

Debian, Arch, Enoch based systems seem to rule the desktop.  Debian taking the lion share due to Ubuntu.

I did not want to split hairs but I had to speak up for Red Hat, which are at least! as significant as Debian.

Just now, benitiv said:

I did not want to split hairs but I had to speak up for Red Hat, which are at least! as significant as Debian.

I love Redhat, but i see it as a server OS

Unless there's some big issue that makes people abandon windows I don't see linux really ever getting mass market share.  Especially since most prebuilt computers don't come with linux pre installed.

@Benitiv 

Distro-Hopping is just big indicator that people don't really know what is going on beneath the surface.

and

For full support go with RHEL.

I repectfully disagree.  If one truly wants to learn GNU/Linux, get to know Slackware.  Those who do not mind paying for support (many Windows users) can go with Redhat if they want.  But, "Why?" when the knowledge that sets one free in Linux comes through distro-hopping and working to learn the most UNIX-like distro, Slackware. 

Pay or Be Free!

Dear sp331yi,

The "For full support go with RHEL" line was _completely_ dedicated to the person who spoke before me, who argued that Linux needs more support (what ever he means by that lol).

As for the rest, I do not even understand. What I tried to say is that there are many people who believe a distribution determines what Linux (the kernel) can do and what not. Like "Oh I failed up setting up samba on Ubuntu, guess I will have better luck with Fedora." kind of thinking.

And still, distro hopping is a really fun and interesting, and I would argue, a necessary step for the most desktop users to get an understanding what distributions are and what Linux does.

Other than that: if this post turns into a turf war (also a big indicator 😈) on distributions then I think it misses the point.

(I'm so sorry that I was not born and stuck with the same language - English - for the rest of my life. Please forgive me for my disability to make myself clear. I will work on it.)