Update or replace?

JimDandy

Desired outcome: productivity (video editing, virtual machines, etc.) and current gaming on the 49" DELL (60 Hertz, OC potential to ~75, I believe). To be frank, I want to also enter the VR arena, so I guess that might mean bring on a new graphics card? What would you do; replace everything or keep any of it? I want a rig to stay with me a while (3+ years) so if the case I have is a good choice for staying current on motherboard sizes, I think I'll just keep it, though RGB and watercooling is a fun splurge I'll go for.

Budget: What is best done (+/- $250) up to $1,000, $2,000, and $3,000?

I currently have everything on this list

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/JimDandy42/saved/#view=ffgNP6

Stay happy and healthy =]

Edited by JimDandy
Clarification on parts

Updated desired build

this post looks like it wasted all it's budget on a monitor, then started building a pc to go with it, but only had leftover funds. 

did you already buy this monitor? why did you pick that monitor?

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

Thanks for your questions, I updated the OP. I have everything on the list. I picked that monitor to use for connecting my DELL XPS 13 2in1 and my workplace assigned laptop, and to playing most game genres.

Updated desired build

while most everything looks fine, for VMs and Video editing i'd get a CPU refresh if you're not getting the results you want.

i'd monitor your RAM usage and see if you need more later, i don't know how you use your machine. 

if you're trying to go with VR, hear me out. 

I have an Oculus Rift CV1. i use it with a GTX1070 +intel 7700k. 

it's okay. it's playable, but i've got a RTX2070Super on the way and i'm trying to find an Oculus Rift S in stock. 

i don't think the GTX 1060 will be preferable for VR. i know it's what the Oculus Rift S suggests for specs, but it's really a minimum. 

TL:DR add more RAM if needed, do a CPU refresh only if you NEED it, get a better GPU for VR.

PS: I appreciate this well formatted post. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

2 minutes ago, JimDandy said:

Thank you very much for the advice and the compliment which I find is helping my decision. Good luck with the Oculus Rift S!

thanks, good luck in your future VR endeavors! i hope you enjoy it, and i hope you're enjoying that overkill monitor. i wish i had that for CAD work.