The Necessity of 144Hz on a Secondary Monitor...

alessioamarin
Go to solution Solved by Ergroilnin,

I also like some people in here run 144 Hz main monitor and 60 hz secondary just for web, movies etc. and it is completely fine. To be honest, I actually kind of enjoy sometimes dicking around the background with my mouse to refresh my awe of just how much more 144 Hz is smoother :P If anythink would be worth it to invest a little more money, then for the secondary it should either be higher resolution or better color quality imho.

My primary monitor, which I use for gaming at 1440p, is 165Hz. I'm thinking of buying a secondary monitor for practical reasons such as web browsing in-game and editing/comparing two drafts of whatever essay I happen to need to be doing, but I'm not sure whether or not it's worth spending the extra money on a 144Hz monitor if desktop use if all it's even there for. I admit that after having used a 144Hz plus monitor for the last 3.5 years I think 60Hz is pretty disgusting and hard on the eyes.

What do you guys think?

I think 60Hz should be fine.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Just now, alessioamarin said:

after having used a 144Hz plus monitor for the last 3.5 years I think 60Hz is pretty disgusting and hard on the eyes.

What do you guys think?

Then the 144 Hz is worth it.  Spare yourself the eyestrain. :P

And I love how smooth 144 Hz is, too!  The new 144Hz laptops make me drool every time! xD

Sorry for the mess!  My laptop just went ROG!

"THE ROGUE":  ASUS ROG Zephyrus G15 GA503QR (2021)

• Ryzen 9 5900HS
  • RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (80W)
  • 24GB DDR4-3200 (8+16)
  • 2TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial P2 NVMe (games)
  • 90Wh battery + 200W power brick
  • 15.6" 1440p 165Hz IPS Pantone display
  • Logitech G603 mouse + Logitech G733 headset

"Hex": Dell G7 7588 (2018)

• i7-8750H
  • GTX 1060 Max-Q
  • 16GB DDR4-2666
  • 1TB SK Hynix NVMe (boot) + 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA (games)
  • 56Wh battery + 180W power brick
  • 15.6" 1080p 60Hz IPS display
  • Corsair Harpoon Wireless mouse + Corsair HS70 headset

"Mishiimin": Apple iMac 5K 27" (2017)

• i7-7700K
  • Radeon Pro 580 8GB (basically a desktop R9 390)
  • 16GB DDR4-2400
  • 2TB SSHD
  • 400W power supply (I think?)
  • 27" 5K 75Hz Retina display
  • Logitech G213 keyboard + Logitech G203 Prodigy mouse

Other tech: Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max 256GB in White, Sennheiser PXC 550-II, Razer Hammerhead earbuds, JBL Tune Flex earbuds, OontZ Angle 3 Ultra, Raspberry Pi 400, Logitech M510 mouse, Redragon S113 keyboard & mouse, Cherry MX Silent Red keyboard, Cooler Master Devastator II keyboard (not in use), Sennheiser HD4.40BT (not in use)

Retired tech: Apple iPhone XR 256GB in Product(RED), Apple iPhone SE 64GB in Space Grey (2016), iPod Nano 7th Gen in Product(RED), Logitech G533 headset, Logitech G930 headset, Apple AirPods Gen 2 and Gen 3

Trash bin (do not buy): Logitech G935 headset, Logitech G933 headset, Cooler Master Devastator II mouse, Razer Atheris mouse, Chinese off-brand earbuds, anything made by Skullcandy

13 minutes ago, alessioamarin said:

My primary monitor, which I use for gaming at 1440p, is 165Hz. I'm thinking of buying a secondary monitor for practical reasons such as web browsing in-game and editing/comparing two drafts of whatever essay I happen to need to be doing, but I'm not sure whether or not it's worth spending the extra money on a 144Hz monitor if desktop use if all it's even there for. I admit that after having used a 144Hz plus monitor for the last 3.5 years I think 60Hz is pretty disgusting and hard on the eyes.

What do you guys think?

60Hz may give you some whiplash, I’d just take something over 100Hz. To be fair it doesn’t need to be great quality for that use a cheap TN would do it. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

im running a 165hz display and two 60hz on the side.

the side displays always only run video or show websites, things where its basically impossible to see the refresh rate unless you whip around your mouse just to see it move less smooth.

i would say its not worth getting 144hz side displays unless you game in 144hz on 3 displays and have the GPU to push the required framerate.

I also like some people in here run 144 Hz main monitor and 60 hz secondary just for web, movies etc. and it is completely fine. To be honest, I actually kind of enjoy sometimes dicking around the background with my mouse to refresh my awe of just how much more 144 Hz is smoother :P If anythink would be worth it to invest a little more money, then for the secondary it should either be higher resolution or better color quality imho.

I have a 144hz monitor as my main and a 60Hz as my second. Works fine. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

I have chosen to just go with a 60Hz monitor. I'll probably be able to OC it to about 75Hz like I have done with about 3 different 60Hz monitors in the past, not that it'll make much of a difference or anything, but hey, why not?