Phanteks Revolt X - powering the water pump only when system 2 is running

oscar7601
Go to solution Solved by For Science!,
7 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Just make a custom connector that powers the pump through the CPU power cable. I assume you only need 12 V and ground.

Hi guys,

I have a Phanteks Evolv X case inside which are two systems.

The first one is my NAS, running most of the time, and air-cooled.

The second one is my desktop pc, which is water-cooled.

The water pump is powered by a sata plug.

Both systems run off a Phanteks Revolt X PSU which can run both systems independently.

My issue is that as soon as at least one of the systems is turned on, all the sata power cables are powered on as well. Therefore, as long as my NAS is running, the water pump is also running, even when the water-cooled system is powered off.

I am trying to find the best solution to power the pump on only when the desktop PC is running.

Until now the only /easiest way I can think of would be a relay triggered by the 5V from the 24 pin cable of the desktop PC.

Yet, I would like to know what you guys think about it. Would that be a good idea if done properly? Are there any precautions you advise I take if I do this? Can you think of another easy solution to achieve the same goal?

This pump consumes 2 amps under 12V, so 24W.

The desktop PC is an itx build and the pcie slot is already populated so I cannot use any sort of zombie pcie card adapter to power my pump off a pcie header (however bad an idea it might have been).

7 minutes ago, oscar7601 said:

Just make a custom connector that powers the pump through the CPU power cable. I assume you only need 12 V and ground.

• 3 months later...
On 4/24/2020 at 2:29 PM, For Science! said:

Just to report I did this and it works like a charm thank you a lot! :)