Sennheiser HD 600 vs HD 650's

Oh, right. So...a tad sensationalist? Really then, a decent sound card isn't necessarily a BAD solution, but that with an external solution, your eliminating any problems that COULD occur using an internal solution (less interference etc..) is that more or less it?

Pretty much. Additionally modern onboard audio can do everything a soundcard can. The two exceptions are an extra amp (though there's not been a good one yet) and various virtual surround sound (and it's a whole other discussion on why that's a gimmick).

Unless you have static, crackles, or pops (read: a broken solution) then onboard is all anyone needs. Plus, it's free.

Pretty much. Additionally modern onboard audio can do everything a soundcard can. The two exceptions are an extra amp (though there's not been a good one yet) and various virtual surround sound (and it's a whole other discussion on why that's a gimmick).

Unless you have static, crackles, or pops (read: a broken solution) then onboard is all anyone needs. Plus, it's free.

Well when moving between my on-board and the D2X, I notice a pretty significant improvement. There seems to be a lot of interference coming through the On-board that isn't there with the D2X. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

Well when moving between my on-board and the D2X, I notice a pretty significant improvement. There seems to be a lot of interference coming through the On-board that isn't there with the D2X. 

and at the same time, I hear no difference between my onboard and D2X, so that's probably just different scenarios, and I don't have that much stuff inside my PC, D2X is mounted at the bottom, not even in use, and a single 660Ti at the top, overclocked to 1060 Mhz. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

and at the same time, I hear no difference between my onboard and D2X, so that's probably just different scenarios, and I don't have that much stuff inside my PC, D2X is mounted at the bottom, not even in use, and a single 66Ti at the top, overclocked to 1060 Mhz. 

I would say that, but having a triple slot GPU, I'm not sure I'd qualify for "not much in my PC" :L 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

I would say that, but having a triple slot GPU, I'm not sure I'd qualify for "not much in my PC" :L 

on a sidenote- I freaking love the look of the 7950 and 7970 triple slot cooler, too bad there are no up to date triple slot coolers nowadays that look equally good. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

on a sidenote- I freaking love the look of the 7950 and 7970 triple slot cooler, too bad there are no up to date triple slot coolers nowadays that look equally good. 

If it wasn't for the inevitable sag that it causes, I love how it looks too. Even more so considering that setting the fans to 30% means the card never gets hotter than about 56 degrees.

So you personally use 650's with a FiiO E10. Would you recommend the FiiO as an upgrade from my D2X or would I be looking at spending my original £200 budget for an improvement over a £100 sound card? I was looking at the O2+ODAC solution, but availability seems limited in the U.K, so when it is available, the price seems pretty high (£250)

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

O2 + ODAC is around £170. I ordered one myself recently and was very happy with the speed of delivery/quality etc

Well, that's either a broken motherboard or a poorly implemented sound solution, which falls under the exception to the statement.

If it wasn't for the inevitable sag that it causes

Vertical cases FTW!

My Rig

Well, that's either a broken motherboard or a poorly implemented sound solution, which falls under the exception to the statement.

Vertical cases FTW!

Yes, my Mobo came from a friend, 2nd hand. I did take a closer look at the "Supreme FX" separated PCB. It looks like it's taken a knock or two.

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/ehp-o2d-miniature-desktop-headphone-amplifier-with-usb-dac/

O2 + ODAC is around £170. I ordered one myself recently and was very happy with the speed of delivery/quality etc

Oh, less than I first thought. Still, after what I've heard here it seems It's not worth spending the money on, not yet anyway.