Need a laptop suggestion - mild gaming/heavy multimedia

Titan_X

Hello, all. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been looking for a new laptop for a few months now. In fact, I've bought three laptops recently, and believe me when I say I've had the worst run of luck:

1. The first laptop that caught my eye was the Lenovo y510p. Core i7 4770MQ, 2x GeForce GT750M in SLI, 16GB RAM. It fit the bill just fine and worked perfect for the first two months, then the second/ultrabay GPU failed. Very strange, since I monitored the temps pretty closely and the hottest they got was in the 80-85ºC range.
  2. I sent the first laptop back to the retailer. Thinking it was just a fluke, I exchanged the laptop for another Lenovo y510p. Worked just fine, but when playing a game, even Minecraft, the GPU1 temp would shoot up to 98ºC and throttle in a matter of 10-15 seconds. Even playing a 1080p movie would raise the GPU1 temp to around 66ºC. I tried a gaming laptop cooler and it didn't help.
  3. I sent the second Lenovo back for a refund, and picked up the ASUS N56JR-EH71. Core i7 4770HQ, GeForce GTX760M, 12GB RAM. Out of the box it failed to load the GTX760M drivers. Called ASUS and confirmed it was indeed a failed GPU.

So now that I've sent the ASUS back for a refund, being the third laptop I've returned in the last two months, I'm a bit disheartened and unsure what to try next.

I'm considering trying a different model of the Lenovo y510p as I loved the first laptop I bought; I'm looking at the 8GB version with 2x GeForce GT750M. I'm also considering the new version of the 16GB Lenovo y510p with 2x GeForce GT755M, but as it just came out I want to wait to see some feedback on this model.

Regardless, I'm open to suggestions. Specs I'm looking for:

• Core i5/i7 Haswell
  • At least 8GB RAM
  • Discrete GPU
  • HDD doesn't matter - I have a 500GB SSD ready to pop in
  • 15.6" 1080p screen
  • HDMI port
  • At least 2 USB 3.0 ports
  • ODD optional
  • Good built-in speakers
  • Reputable brand; I tend to avoid Acer, Gateway, etc.
  • Under $1,300 USD
  • I want to be able to play StarCraft II and Civ V on it. Not looking to play Crysis 3 or Metro Last Light.

Any thoughts or suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr - I want a 15.6" laptop I can take to LANs and play StarCraft II and watch movies.

I do like the specs on the Sony VAIO Flip 15; in fact I wouldn't mind the tablet form factor. My only reluctance comes form the fact Sony is discontinuing the VAIO line, and the availability of warranty and support because of it.

HP Pavilion 15, AMD version, plays Garry's Mod prety good so it would play SC II

There is an Intel edition, but I have the AMD edition.

Maybe I Like Bacon? :ph34r:

what games do you play?

I play a lot of games, but I have a desktop to play my more graphics intensive games. I'm mainly looking for something to play StarCraft II and Civ V when away from home.

Main PC:

ASUS F1A55-M LX, AMD A6-3500, (2x2)gb Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600mhz, Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm, 
 Corsair CX430M, Cooler Master Elite 343, Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit

Netbook:

Lenovo Ideapad S10-2, Intel Atom N280, (1x1)gb DDR2 667mhz, WD Scorpio Blue 250gb 5400rpm, Zorin OS 9 Lite

I play a lot of games, but I have a desktop to play my more graphics intensive games. I'm mainly looking for something to play StarCraft II and Civ V when away from home.

your problems with the Y510p are strange. I guess it could have been solved somehow

Anyway, are you really limited to 15.6"? and - can you install your own OS?

Dell has a nice refurbished deal also, is it interesting for you?

your problems with the Y510p are strange. I guess it could have been solved somehow

The first y510p I'm sure could have been fixed by replacing the ultrabay GPU, but Lenovo wouldn't send me a replacement and told me to return the entire laptop to the retailer. The second y510p could possibly have been remedied if I replaced the TIM and the springs that hold down the heatsink; I found it's a common issue with the y510p that the heat transfer system was poorly engineered and Lenovo either put too much TIM on, or in some cases none at all.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/ideapad-essential/734442-y500-y510p-spring-mod-spacer-guide.html

EIther way, I'm certainly not trying the latter while the laptop is still under warranty and within return period.

Anyway, are you really limited to 15.6"? and - can you install your own OS?

Dell has a nice refurbished deal also, is it interesting for you?

I always install a fresh copy of Windows when I buy a new computer; I'd rather spend the same time installing the OS and drivers rather than trying to clean up every last bit of crapware the manufacturers put on it. I'm just AR that way.

I'm certainly open to considering Dell. The deal Probenja posted looks pretty good, but I'm still weighing my options.

Well, I'll just recommend the whole shubbang of gaming laptops around your budget and see if you're caught in the net

1. the more interesting gaming laptops under $1000

2. Dell Latitude 3540 refurbished deal : Radeon 8850M, 1080p screen, I5-4200U, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD - you can replace those. Gaming performance level is around GT 750M + a bit. For $525 it's a lot

3. Clevo based laptops, as you can save on the OS. I'd suggest the 13.3" Clevo W230ST from the list as it comes with a GTX 765M and 1080p IPS screen, so you should consider it. A really nice machine

The Eurocom Shark 2.0 for $770 is also a really nice laptop with GTX 765M, but the 1080p screen is not an IPS.

4. Also, the Sager NP8235 (XoticPC for example) should be selling for like $1100 w/o OS and it's a very nice machine  with GTX 770M - low heat and good build

I had the Lenovo gaming one and it overheated so I returned it then got the msi one and its never overheated but I do link Lenovo laptops just not the gaming ones

Aselwyn1

the MSI GT60 a great laptop

It sure looks like a beast. Price and specs are in the ballpark. The two year warranty is a definite plus. I'll look into this one. Thanks!

I had the Lenovo gaming one and it overheated so I returned it then got the msi one and its never overheated but I do link Lenovo laptops just not the gaming ones

It sure seems to be a common issue with the Lenovo Ideapad y series. Otherwise, I've used Lenovo laptops at work to great success; I've bought close to 100 Lenovo ThinkPads without a single factory defect.

What games have you played on the MSI GT60, and how were the temps?

It sure looks like a beast. Price and specs are in the ballpark. The two year warranty is a definite plus. I'll look into this one. Thanks!

It sure seems to be a common issue with the Lenovo Ideapad y series. Otherwise, I've used Lenovo laptops at work to great success; I've bought close to 100 Lenovo ThinkPads without a single factory defect.

What games have you played on the MSI GT60, and how were the temps?

I have played bf4 and it is great in 1080p with over 60 fps my model has a 770m. There are times where the fan gets a little loud but with headphones on you don't hear it. Also you can't feel the heat on the keyboard

Aselwyn1

I have played bf4 and it is great in 1080p with over 60 fps my model has a 770m. There are times where the fan gets a little loud but with headphones on you don't hear it. Also you can't feel the heat on the keyboard

Also, looking at photos I see the warranty void sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Is that blocking any screws that would prevent me from installing an SSD without voiding the warranty?

I'm assuming you're using the GT60 2OC:

http://www.msimobile.com/level3_productpage.aspx?id=402

Also, looking at photos I see the warranty void sticker on the bottom of the laptop. Is that blocking any screws that would prevent me from installing an SSD without voiding the warranty?

yes I am it's the 24us or something like that. I contacted the msi support about the warranty sticker and they said as long as I know what I'm doing its ok as I needed to get a replacement hard drive as the wd 1tb blue that came with it was not being recognized. But it only took 20 days or so to get a new one. Lucky my model has a ssd as boot so did not really matter to me

Aselwyn1

yes I am it's the 24us or something like that. I contacted the msi support about the warranty sticker and they said as long as I know what I'm doing its ok as I needed to get a replacement hard drive as the wd 1tb blue that came with it was not being recognized. But it only took 20 days or so to get a new one. Lucky my model has a ssd as boot so did not really matter to me

Just checked the MSI web site and confirmed this is indeed the case: http://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3070

"You are allowed to upgrade the internal components of your system without voiding your warranty as long as no damages are inflicted during the upgrade process."

MSI GT60 2OC-022US is on my short list. Thanks, aselwyn1!

Build your own or get a macbook pro

you cant build a laptop on your own the closet was a barebones from 4 years back

Aselwyn1

The Y510p performs better than the GT60 with GTX 770M on BF4

The Y510p performs better than the GT60 with GTX 770M on BF4

True, but I'm looking for performance and reliability. The y510p is getting mixed reviews because it just can't handle the heat. It's a fantastic laptop; I loved the one I had, but I don't want to have to be bothered with warranty replacements from overheating.

Either way, I'm not looking to play BF4, just StarCraft II mainly.

At this point, I'm between trying another Lenovo Ideapad y510p (59388313 or 59406636) or the MSI GT60 2OC-022US.

If you'll get the I5 and make some modifications it will be great:1

1. The I5 version which is as good for gaming as the I7 version, but produces less heat. Also, if you'll end up with the Y510p again, come back to here and we'll talk about how to limit the heat a little with Nvidia Inspector and Intel XTU. It can really help

2. The GT60 isn't that great. The Sager NP8235 is better in terms of thermals + it's cheaper if you can install an OS

If you'll get the I5 and make some modifications it will be great:1

1. The I5 version which is as good for gaming as the I7 version, but produces less heat. Also, if you'll end up with the Y510p again, come back to here and we'll talk about how to limit the heat a little with Nvidia Inspector and Intel XTU. It can really help

2. The GT60 isn't that great. The Sager NP8235 is better in terms of thermals + it's cheaper if you can install an OS

Great, will consider the i5. Don't really need the hyperthreading for what I do.

I am leaning towards the y510p, so feel free to share the info on the heat limiting. Thanks for the suggestions.

Wait for the Lenovo y50 it should be coming out soon. It looks really sweet

I do like the looks of the y50. I'll wait to see what folks say about it after it comes out.

The I5 does have hyperthreading, but 2 +2 cores, instead 4 + 4. It sounds a lot, but for gaming the difference is minimal