FPS "Issues" in Minecraft

MysticWolf

Hello. I feel like I should get getting a lot higher FPS, but perhaps others can inform me. My average FPS in Minecraft has been around 120. From my research I should be getting like 600 on average. I play vanilla, SinglePlayer, java. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. I recently brought the computer back in December.

PC Specs:
Motherboard - ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900K 8-Core 3.6 GHz
CPU COOLING -
NZXT Kraken X62
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - ASUS ROG STRIX

RAM - G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 8GB (x4) 

POWER SUPPLY - Seasonic Focus GX 1000W Gold
Display - 2560 x 1440, 144Hz

I've gotten better FPS at times with my old computer that costed 3k dollars less. Idk if it's 600 FPS, but that seems to be beside the point.

What are your in game settings for Minecraft? Have you tried changing your render distance? Downloading optifine? Optifine should increase your fps drastically.

7 minutes ago, MysticWolf said:

I've gotten better FPS at times with my old computer that costed 3k dollars less. Idk if it's 600 FPS, but that seems to be beside the point.

The game is cpu dependant and gpu does absolutly nothing to the game(unless with shader mods) and already kinda runs like crap. At most 200-300 fps. Wherever those numbers came from is a lie.Do you have the max framerate set? Do you have java updated? Also try optifine 

Can you post a screenshot of your in game settings?

I don't use optifine at the moment, but yeah I should download it. Figured even without that, I should be getting higher FPS though. I have java updated (even installed today's update). Here's two images:2020-04-19_01_01_52.thumb.png.5503e2e4a0dd6c4f9ccf54c735101f51.png  two images. 

2020-04-19_01.02.13.png

I installed optifine but not really noticing anything. Average FPS seems to be the same.

2020-04-19_01_25_56.thumb.png.8910f682eb54d0ca0268175103d29e83.pngg. 

This is extremely odd. I know this may sound stupid but sometimes after I restart my PC my fps increases. So, I might give that a try. If that doesn't work, I'm not entirely sure of what the issue is.

I would also recommend installing a PvP client such as Badlion or LunarClient which should increase your fps. I would enjoy hearing whether or not one of these clients increases your fps.

Not a horrible idea, I restart my computer at least once a day though.

Try downloading one of the clients I listed above and see if that fixes anything.

I might, just really want to fix whatever the issue here is.

If you installed the Badlion Client, get rid of it asap. Its pure garbage software and should be avoided at any cost.

You might have installed the newest Java Version, but Minecraft is using its own Java Version, you have to change that in the Launcher.

If you open the Launcher, click at installations, klick at the 3 buttons next to your optifine profile, click edit, more options and puth the path to the new java version there. If your there, you might want to edit your JVM-Arguments aswell.

-Xmx2G -Xms2M -Xmn2M -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseG1GC -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M -XX:+DisableExplicitGC

After that, start Minecraft, go to Options, Video Settings, lower the render distance because the default view distance on servers is 8-10, toggle use vbos on, go to performance and turn everything on except smooth fps.

Also playing in Fullscreen Mode helps a bit, just press F11 to toggle it.

with internal shaders, single player minecraft high bright settings and quake pro/render distance max nvidia driver 430 getting fps between 90-110. using a 1060/p106 gpu on linux.

are your drivers updated? how much ram? can you confirm your gpu is being used instead of igpu? i have about 11.3 of my 15.3 ram gigs used. 100% gpu usage. 

sadly, linux doesnt have an after burner like spec seeing software so have to have nvidia gpu and system monitor on top of the game. so my ram may be a slight bit higher than it should be. 

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

4 hours ago, Snowarch said:

with internal shaders, single player minecraft high bright settings and quake pro/render distance max nvidia driver 430 getting fps between 90-110. using a 1060/p106 gpu on linux.

are your drivers updated? how much ram? can you confirm your gpu is being used instead of igpu? i have about 11.3 of my 15.3 ram gigs used. 100% gpu usage. 

sadly, linux doesnt have an after burner like spec seeing software so have to have nvidia gpu and system monitor on top of the game. so my ram may be a slight bit higher than it should be. 

I have my drivers updated. In my screenshot above it'll show RAM and GPU so I assume my GPU is being used. I don't know how to switch it if it's not. I also find it weird I'm not even getting over 100 FPS anymore at my base anymore.. and it's not even that big. No redstone or anything.

Screenshot (13).png

The 2GB max ram recommended earlier is too low IMO. I would allocate at least 5 GB

I currently use these. Not sure if it is the best one though.

-XX:+UseG1GC -Xmx7G -Xms7G -Dsun.rmi.dgc.server.gcInterval=2147483646 -XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:G1NewSizePercent=20 -XX:G1ReservePercent=20 -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=50 -XX:G1HeapRegionSize=32M

5 hours ago, MysticWolf said:

I'm not even getting over 100 FPS anymore at my base anymore

Looking at one of your prior screenshots, it will be pretty likely due to ~400 Entitys beeing loaded in your render distance. (Can be seen in the Debug Screen at the 5th row)

What does qualify as a Entity except Mobs and Players? Chests, Signs, Item Frames, Shulker Boxes, skulls, beds, enchanting tables and much more.

I copied your settings in a singleplayer world and I'm getting 500-800 fps when playing normal. When I'm near a simmilar amount of Entitys, my fps tank down to "just" 150ish.
I have an R5 3600 and a GTX 1070.

Try using Barrels instead of chests, reduce decorative signs, beds and such stuff and again, lower your view distance.

3 hours ago, Craftyawesome said:

The 2GB max ram recommended earlier is too low IMO

2GB is quiet plenty. My Client is hovering at 750-1200mb depending on what is going on, even after hours of playing.

mine sets 14 of the 16gb ram automatically. that and the high settings may explain my high-ish fps.

main rig:

CPU: 8086k @ 4.00ghz-4.3 boost

PSU: 750 watt psu gold (Corsair rm750)

gpu:axle p106-100 6gbz msi p104-100 @ 1887+150mhz oc gpu clock, 10,012 memory clock*2(sli?) on prime w coffee lake igpu

Mobo: Z390 taichi ultimate

Ram: 2x8gb corsair vengence lpx @3000mhz speed

case: focus G black

Cooler: mugen 5 rev b,

Storage: 860 evo 1tb/ 120 gb corsair force nvme 500

backup

8gb ram celeron laptop/860 evo 500gb

46 minutes ago, Oberfail said:

2GB is quiet plenty. My Client is hovering at 750-1200mb depending on what is going on, even after hours of playing.

Minecraft will use more ram if you let it. At least for servers:

"I recommend using at least 6-10GB, No matter how few players! If you can’t afford 10GB of memory, give as much as you can, but ensure you leave the operating system some memory too. G1GC operates better with more memory."

Although, you should still be getting much more fps. Try setting both windows and nvidia to high performance. 

its about the client here, not the server or am i wrong? And yeah, it can use more Ram, but also can use less. I never had any issues with setting the ram to a reasonable low level. With some modifications, the 1.15.2 Client can run with as low as 1gb of Ram flawlessy. The 1.8.9 Client can run with just 256mb of Ram.

And as I mentoined, i copied OP's settings with a render distance of 16. With a more reasonable of 8, i'm getting twice the amount.

Anyway, thanks for trying to help me, but i dont have any problems. I'm just trying to help OP.

Minecraft's in-game performance is highly variable and really unpredictable. Better hardware gives generally diminishing returns as after a certain point you're more limited by the game itself.

In no particular order, here's some tips that I've found are good for improving FPS:

• Optifine is a must, since it lets you fine tune your graphical settings.
    • VBOs: On
    • Max Framerate: Unlimited - A bug in 1.14 or lower could cause the frame limiter to actually reduce FPS
    • Antisotropic Filtering: off
    • Antialiasing: off
    • Smooth FPS: On
    • Smooth World: On
    • Fast Render: On
    • Fast Math: On
    • Dynamic Updates: On
    • Render Regions: On
  • Decreasing the render distance will help, with less to render. (I tend to crank mine up as high as I can, because 64 chunks render distance in minecraft is amazing)
  • Reduce the entity count in your world (eg. if you have a cow pen with more than like a dozen, kill a few)
  • Give the game a boatload of memory. The game can consume dozens or hundreds of megabytes of memory per second at times, so it will be quite constrained with less RAM. This actually does help. I give my game about 1/2 of my system memory (~8 GB) and it runs well.
  • Oceans can reduce your FPS as the game is rendering the water plus chunks behind the water, plus blending the colors together.

The three biggest factors for your FPS is the entity count (E: value in F3), the particle count (P: value), and the onscreen chunk count (C: value

). The more onscreen chunks there are, the lower your FPS will be. On my 1070 I can get 85 FPS on 32 chunks with around 5000 onscreen chunks, which is pretty good.

13 hours ago, Oberfail said:

You might have installed the newest Java Version, but Minecraft is using its own Java Version, you have to change that in the Launcher.

If you open the Launcher, click at installations ... [snip]

Don't change the Java version Minecraft runs on. Minecraft intentionally uses its own Java version for compatibility, as newer versions can cause problems.

13 hours ago, Oberfail said:

After that, start Minecraft, go to Options, Video Settings, lower the render distance because the default view distance on servers is 8-10

If you join a server, it only renders as many chunks as the server is configured, even if your client is set to 32 chunks. It's not worth changing this setting for servers. Also, OP said he's not on a server anyways

Furry EE student, amateur radio operator, and part-time programmer. https://twitter.com/ntoskrnl4

I play mostly SinglePlayer. I can try allocating more RAM (have to google how lol) and editing my JVM-Arguments as well. For now, I wanted to show this image. Newly created world and I looked straight up. I didn't see more than 143 FPS. The second image was the same set up, lowing the render distance as low as possible (2 chunks) and didn't see a difference in FPS in-game. Odd thing was my FPS increased when I tabbed out and went back to max of 143 when I came back.

2020-04-25_23.02.23.png

2020-04-25_23.10.50.png

Stuck at 143 FPS? That looks like it might be something locking your FPS to your monitor's refresh rate. Check Nvidia Control Panel if any of the vsync or frame limiter options are enabled.

Furry EE student, amateur radio operator, and part-time programmer. https://twitter.com/ntoskrnl4