What can you do to a 3600 with the stock cooler?

I'm not sure how well the wraith stealth performs or what can be done with it, does anybody have any experience with it? I have a 3600 inbound but I had to pass on the cooler upgrade for now, so I'll be using the stock wraith stealth temporarily. Obviously I can't hardcore OC, but can I do anything at all? Is it possible to OC slightly without adding more voltage? If I do that what can I expect? Or would it be better to just lock the cores to their turbo frequency and call it a day?

Please Quote me when replying.
CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

I'm not sure how well the wraith stealth performs or what can be done with it, does anybody have any experience with it? I have a 3600 inbound but I had to pass on the cooler upgrade for now, so I'll be using the stock wraith stealth temporarily. Obviously I can't hardcore OC, but can I do anything at all? Is it possible to OC slightly without adding more voltage? If I do that what can I expect? Or would it be better to just lock the cores to their turbo frequency and call it a day?

Most of the time you can get near full boost speeds on all cores on it. Does depend on the temperatures tho as no 2 cpu's behave alike in oc'ing.

3 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

You are changing from intel to AMD? 

Ryzen 5 2600 / MSI B350 Tomahawk / GALAX RTX 2060 6GB (1-Click OC) / Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz 8x2GB / ADATA SX6000 LITE 512 M.2 NVME / KLEVV 128 GB SATA / Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / Seasonic Focus Gold 550W / Tecware Nexus C

Upgrade Plan: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 RAM: GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz/3600MHz MB: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

Most of the time you can get near full boost speeds on all cores on it. Does depend on the temperatures tho as no 2 cpu's behave alike in oc'ing.

That's true, I don't know if I'll win the sillicone lottery or not.

Just now, XandersWithS said:

You are changing from intel to AMD? 

Yep. This old 6700 does get the job done, but I wanted something newer, more modern, and something I can OC as this 6700 is not the K version so im stuck at 3.4 GHz. (usually turbos to 3.7) and I just couldn't pass up the amazing price to performance of the 3600. I hear many many good things about it and it seemed like a great bargain. I paid 185 with taxes, free shipping.

CPU
 - Ryzen 7 5800X3D | RAM - 32GB DDR4 4000Mhz | MB - MSI B550 A-PRO | Boot - 2TB NVME 980 Evo Plus | GPU - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3090 24GB

You can use your computer with the cooler attached.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

1 minute ago, GreyestGoat said:

You can use your computer with the cooler attached.

Sorry sir, the title says what can you do TO a 3600, not what can I do WITH... so a more appropriate answer would be " You can apply the cooler ". or " You can crank the voltage to 1.5 and make it explode ".

CPU

2 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

Sorry sir, the title says what can you do TO a 3600, not what can I do WITH... so a more appropriate answer would be " You can apply the cooler ". or " You can crank the voltage to 1.5 and make it explode ".

Well you already know your answer then sir. 🤣

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

1 minute ago, GreyestGoat said:

Well you already know your answer then sir. 🤣

Damn, goteem.

Just now, boggy77 said:

you can enable pbo in bios and let it self overclock

I will look into that, no idea what PBO is... peanut butter oreos? Why is that in my bios?

CPU

1 minute ago, OnionRings said:

Damn, goteem.

I will look into that, no idea what PBO is... peanut butter oreos? Why is that in my bios?

PBO is just a standard auto OC which is AMD approved.

Just now, OnionRings said:

peanut butter oreos? Why is that in my bios?

precision boost overdrive., although peanut butter oreos sounds good as well.

it's an amd feature that removes some of the stock power and temperature limits and allow your cpu to boost higher.

for example I have a 2600x with the stock cooler. stock cinebench score is 2700, but with pbo enabled i get a score of 3000. so 10% performance increase. the temperatures also increased from 75 to 85 though.

Just now, boggy77 said:

precision boost overdrive., although peanut butter oreos sounds good as well.

it's an amd feature that removes some of the stock power and temperature limits and allow your cpu to boost higher.

for example I have a 2600x with the stock cooler. stock cinebench score is 2700, but with pbo enabled i get a score of 3000. so 10% performance increase. the temperatures also increased from 75 to 85 though.

Alright, ill give it a try and see what happens. 85 seems a little uncomfortable though. But we'll see what the 3600 runs.

CPU

Just now, OnionRings said:

Alright, ill give it a try and see what happens. 85 seems a little uncomfortable though. But we'll see what the 3600 runs.

well, 85 in cinebench. in gaming it would be a bit lower.

Just now, boggy77 said:

well, 85 in cinebench. in gaming it would be a bit lower.

Oh ok, yea that's a different story then, since games don't run your CPU 100% full throttle the whole time. Unless of course you're gaming on a dual core.

CPU

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

The 3600 comes with the Wraith Stealth though, compared to the Spire that comes with the 2600X which is a bit better.

Personally, I'd leave the 3600 as it is with the stock cooler, not even turn on PBO. You might be lucky and get a chip that can overclock like crazy, having no problems even with the stock cooler, but chances are slim to none. Do some stress tests with it running at stock, and if temps top out at 70-75C and you think you wouldn't mind some extra noise, you could try PBO and seeing how that goes.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

25 minutes ago, OnionRings said:

It can run without melting. The Stealth is designed for stock operation. The Prism is what you can use to tinker with a CPU. Leave it on auto and don't push voltage/clocks beyond what it was designed to sustain. If you want to mess around - get a Dark Rock Slim

1 hour ago, OnionRings said:

That's true, I don't know if I'll win the sillicone lottery or not.

Yep. This old 6700 does get the job done, but I wanted something newer, more modern, and something I can OC as this 6700 is not the K version so im stuck at 3.4 GHz. (usually turbos to 3.7) and I just couldn't pass up the amazing price to performance of the 3600. I hear many many good things about it and it seemed like a great bargain. I paid 185 with taxes, free shipping.

I want that cpu too, compared with mine, 2600. 3600 has far performance in single core which I need for gaming. Also 3200MHz. Yes this is best price to performance CPU right now

Ryzen 5 2600 / MSI B350 Tomahawk / GALAX RTX 2060 6GB (1-Click OC) / Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666Mhz 8x2GB / ADATA SX6000 LITE 512 M.2 NVME / KLEVV 128 GB SATA / Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / Seasonic Focus Gold 550W / Tecware Nexus C

Upgrade Plan: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 RAM: GSkill TridentZ RGB 3200MHz/3600MHz MB: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

18 hours ago, Mateyyy said:

The 3600 comes with the Wraith Stealth though, compared to the Spire that comes with the 2600X which is a bit better.

Personally, I'd leave the 3600 as it is with the stock cooler, not even turn on PBO. You might be lucky and get a chip that can overclock like crazy, having no problems even with the stock cooler, but chances are slim to none. Do some stress tests with it running at stock, and if temps top out at 70-75C and you think you wouldn't mind some extra noise, you could try PBO and seeing how that goes.

Ok. I can always run the CPU fan at 100% too if I need too, as long as it isn't too loud anyway... my 212 evo that I have on this i7 isn't even loud at 100% but im imagining a stock cooler to be much louder.

18 hours ago, 5x5 said:

It can run without melting. The Stealth is designed for stock operation. The Prism is what you can use to tinker with a CPU. Leave it on auto and don't push voltage/clocks beyond what it was designed to sustain. If you want to mess around - get a Dark Rock Slim

I plan to get the chromax DH15 at some point, either than or that mutagen thingy.

17 hours ago, XandersWithS said:

I want that cpu too, compared with mine, 2600. 3600 has far performance in single core which I need for gaming. Also 3200MHz. Yes this is best price to performance CPU right now

Yea that's another reason why I targeted it, the lower NM architecture and all that fancy stuff will help with games a good bit. Some games I play cap out the 8 threads on my i7, causing stutters here and there, which are really annoying. World war Z is one of them. 90-100% all the time with only the game and discord running.

CPU

On 4/18/2020 at 1:17 PM, OnionRings said:

Ok. I can always run the CPU fan at 100% too if I need too, as long as it isn't too loud anyway... my 212 evo that I have on this i7 isn't even loud at 100% but im imagining a stock cooler to be much louder.

I plan to get the chromax DH15 at some point, either than or that mutagen thingy.

Yea that's another reason why I targeted it, the lower NM architecture and all that fancy stuff will help with games a good bit. Some games I play cap out the 8 threads on my i7, causing stutters here and there, which are really annoying. World war Z is one of them. 90-100% all the time with only the game and discord running.

Maybe that thing is the reason why i need to upgrade my setup. 3rd gen of ryzen is evolving from before. Also i need to get a new ram of 3200MHZ or above