Air conditioner leak

hackgod

I have a split A/C and the exhaust unit that is mounted on the roof is leaking the coolant . I discovered it yesterday only so hiw should I stop the leak ??

The copper pipe that is bent is leaking.

IMG_20200410_010814.jpg

If you're seeing drops of water on/under the bend, then it's condensation.

If that bend has a crack and gas is coming out of it, then you'll probably need to replace that part of the pipe. It's best to get a professional to do it.

9 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

If that bend has a crack and gas is coming out of it, then you'll probably need to replace that part of the pipe. It's best to get a professional to do it.

Yeah there is no condensation but I can feel and hear the gas leaking from the bend.

Can I use a sealing solution to seal the crack ?? Like hardening  white cement

1 minute ago, hackgod said:

Yeah there is no condensation but I can feel and hear the gas leaking from the bend.

Can I use a sealing solution to seal the crack ??

As a temporary fix, maybe, but you might need to get it refilled with gas.

1 minute ago, lewdicrous said:

As a temporary fix, maybe, but you might need to get it refilled with gas.

Have you heard of M seal and can I use it ??

4 minutes ago, hackgod said:

Have you heard of M seal and can I use it ??

Never heard of it, have no idea if it'll work or not.

2 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

Never heard of it, have no idea if it'll work or not.

OK Thanks!!!

59 minutes ago, lewdicrous said:

This is true.  There are patch fixes and soldering, but they don’t last, and you have to refill the system every time it leaks.  A pro is the best way imho.  A solder fix requires removal of the part anyway so you might as well put in a new one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1. Freon (the refrigerant inside the AC lines) is toxic and if this is indoors you should not hang around too long and call a repair person immediately.

2. The proper way to repair the leak is with soldering or brazing. Glue, tape or other leak fixers are not adequate for this kind of leak.

3. The AC will almost certainly need to be refilled after it is repaired. At least in the US this can only be done by a certified professional.

4. Call a professional repair person.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever installed it like that is an idiot. Thats what, 16mm pipe? It should be bended with a tube bender, not like that. And not at that exact point. It looks like done by hand, no wonder you have a leak. Call a professional, he'll most likely cut the pipe and weld some new piece to it. Properly bended. Than refill, as they suggested.

You may want to contact someone at an HVAC company (if they are open) to come out and fix it. Dealing with AC lines unless you know what you are doing is not advisable. Using stuff to try and plug the leak short of soldering or replacing the line may and liklely will cause more damage in the future. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD