4790k Folding at 100C with H100i

xBlizzDevious

Hi guys,

I've never noticed a problem before since I rarely hammer my CPU to 100% but since I've been folding, I noticed my CPU throttling to about 4.2GHz instead of running 4.4 all day long (stock clocks).

A quick look in HWMonitor showed temps in the region of 40C idle and 100C at full load which seem excessive for an H100i. I did the usual re-seat CPU and cooler and noticed the backplate for the block is loose. Some Googling suggested this is somewhat known and some foam strips to solidify it on the board would work. I didn't have any but had some rubber O-rings and so used those as spacers to keep the backplate sturdy. This seemed to work but my temps are still awry.

Idle has dipped to about 35C but that's still not cool, and then at 100% load it's still hitting 100C. Any suggestions on what to do? It's clearly still somewhat working but it's not right.

Hello,

If the AIO is as old than the CPU, 6 years assuming you bought it at the released date, it would be a good time to change it.

4 minutes ago, Meganter said:

Hello,

If the AIO is as old than the CPU, 6 years assuming you bought it at the released date, it would be a good time to change it.

Yeah, I figured it would be. Nothing I can do to fix it?

I would contact Corsair since they're absolutely fantastic buuut I got a free replacement from them for another out-of-warranty H100i recently and I would feel bad asking for another, even if they gladly accept it. Haha!

If I'm honest, though, I don't think this cooler has ever been fantastic on this CPU. I'm pretty sure I was always somewhat disappointed with the temps even when it was new. Though it's fair to say they have degraded.

I have a 4790k and I just use an air cooler. i dont fold with it, just my GPU, but I never have terrible temps.

6 minutes ago, Meganter said:

Hello,

I agree with @Meganter, the AIO is probably reaching its EOL unless the rad/fans are clogged with dust and hair'n such.

2 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Yeah, I figured it would be. Nothing I can do to fix it?
I would contact Corsair since they're absolutely fantastic buuut I got a free replacement from them for another out-of-warranty H100i recently and I would feel bad asking for another, even if they gladly accept it. Haha!
If I'm honest, though, I don't think this cooler has ever been fantastic on this CPU. I'm pretty sure I was always somewhat disappointed with the temps even when it was new. Though it's fair to say they have degraded.

Not unless the rad/fans are clogged, you probably can't fix it.

Don't feel bad about asking for another replacement as long as it is a different one. If Corsair replaces it then not only do you get a new cooler but you can share your experience with others. Word of Mouth is far cheaper and more effective than advertising. If the cooler has not been real good it could have been slightly defective from the start. I had the H100i gtx and loved it but sold it to get a cheaper air cooler (D15s) at the time (I ended up trading the AIO for a GPU and made money selling the GPU). The paste under the IHS might need to be replaced too. If you don't want to get another AIO then an air cooler from Be Quiet or Noctua would be perfect to look at.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

1 minute ago, dual290x said:

I agree with @Meganter, the AIO is probably reaching its EOL unless the rad/fans are clogged with dust and hair'n such.

Not unless the rad/fans are clogged, you probably can't fix it.

Don't feel bad about asking for another replacement as long as it is a different one. If Corsair replaces it then not only do you get a new cooler but you can share your experience with others. Word of Mouth is far cheaper and more effective than advertising. If the cooler has not been real good it could have been slightly defective from the start. I had the H100i gtx and loved it but sold it to get a cheaper air cooler (D15s) at the time (I ended up trading the AIO for a GPU and made money selling the GPU). The paste under the IHS might need to be replaced too. If you don't want to get another AIO then an air cooler from Be Quiet or Noctua would be perfect to look at.

Hey, the one thing I'll always say about Corsair support is that they are fantastic. I specifically do recommend them to people just for that fact. Any Corsair product I've had issues with, they've been happy to help diagnose and then replace if necessary.

That being said, I would still feel bad if they replaced another one... I mean... The warranty is 5 years and I know that it's out of that time because I got two at the same time and just a couple of months ago got the other one replaced. Then again, it's my gain and their loss so I just may well go for it.

5 minutes ago, xBlizzDevious said:

Then again, it's my gain and their loss so I just may well go for it.

As my uncle would say, "What the hell are they going to do? Say no!?!"

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar