Covid and PC build.

Bruh1

So I just saved enough money to build my first gaming rig, I've been gaming on a freakin laptop for a while now (5 years...) I saved up 1300$ and I was ready to build a beast of a computer... Then Mr Covid came and ruined everything, prices sky rocketed, the build that I was thinking about was gonna cost 1200$ now it's 1600$ in my country which is kinda sad...

A friend told me I should get everything high end like high end cpu motherboard and ram and then get either a used or a cheap gpu (since those got affected the most) and wait for next Gen next year. What do you guys think? Should I get a low end 200$ gpu or get an over priced 370$ rtx 2060( the cheapest one I could find)? Like I'm wondering will this get worse or get resolved by fall when they're planning to release the next line of gpus 

if yu need the pc now, get what you can afford now and then upgrade whenever you want in the future. if you think the 2060 is overpriced, look around it. how much does a 5600xt cost? how about a 5700? how about a 1660 super or ti? maybe you can find a good offer on one of these. similar story with a cpu. if the 3700x is too expensive, maybe consider a 3600. it has similar performance in gaming.

2 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

Like I'm wondering will this get worse or get resolved by fall when they're planning to release the next line of gpus

That's hard to tell, but I suspect it'll get even worse for a while. The whole economy is expected to tank for the foreseeable future. I've seen estimates of several years (3-5) before the economy recovers itself. Even if the virus is gone by fall that doesn't mean everything will be all right immediately afterwards.

Just think about how many countries are in lockdown right now, how many companies are either shut down or slowed down significantly. The effect of that is delayed while dependent industries still have stockpiles. Once production ramps up again it'll take some time before full capacity is reached.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, boggy77 said:

if yu need the pc now, get what you can afford now and then upgrade whenever you want in the future. if you think the 2060 is overpriced, look around it. how much does a 5600xt cost? how about a 5700? how about a 1660 super or ti? maybe you can find a good offer on one of these. similar story with a cpu. if the 3700x is too expensive, maybe consider a 3600. it has similar performance in gaming.

yea I'm gonna get the 3600 instead and the 1660 super has a decent deal I saw it for 260$ , I think I might get this one , the 5600 xt is 320$ and the 5700 is 350$. Is it worth 60$ from 1660S to 5600 xt? I saw that the performance difference is around 10 to 15 fps. I'm going for 1080p high graphics gaming. I just wanted to finish my college year and start building the rig but I'm afraid things might get much worse and they would start canceling online shipping which is a high possibility right now...

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's hard to tell, but I suspect it'll get even worse for a while. The whole economy is expected to tank for the foreseeable future. I've seen estimates of several years (3-5) before the economy recovers itself. Even if the virus is gone by fall that doesn't mean everything will be all right immediately afterwards.

Just think about how many countries are in lockdown right now, how many companies are either shut down or slowed down significantly. The effect of that is delayed while dependent industries still have stockpiles. Once production ramps up again it'll take some time before full capacity is reached.

I totally agree. even if they find a cure to the virus right now , just companies getting back up on their feet will take a while and prices will still be high...

Well I guess I have to act quickly and get this rig going before they shut down online shipping.

You’re like me, I keep computers forever. I just upgraded from an i7 3770/GTX 670....

I pieced together an R5 3600/1660 Super build right at the start of COVID when LTT posted the video of “if you’re planning on buying parts, do it right now”. Still using the same 15yr old case with front FireWire 400 ports! 

I’m also running at 1080p 144Hz, and the 1660 Super can run pretty much any game maxed out at that resolution with great frame rates. 

for a CPU, honestly for gaming you don’t need anything bigger than a 3600 or even a 1600AF. If you get an X570 board, than when the Ryzen 4000 series rolls out, you’ll be good to go with PCI-E 4.0 and you can keep your Ram and mobo. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |