Please Help Me With With The Best AntiVirus

Hello LTT community, I am trying to find the best antivirus software that has all the features that Total Av has I am thinking about buying the total AV premium license but I thought it would be smart to check with you guys first becuase you will probably have the right answer on if I should buy it or if not what other premium anti virus are out there.

Malwarebytes, windows defender and some common sense do the trick for most people

-Moved to Programs Apps and Websites-

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

I honestly think paying for the majority of AV software is a fucking sham.

All I have is Windows defender, Malwarebytes, and common sense. If you want extra security i would recommend Avast is pretty good.

I had Panda because I got a free membership and it was actually really nice to use and had lots of cool features. But I still wouldn't pay for it again. I've also used SuperAntiSpyware and it was pretty good

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

1 minute ago, Statik said:

I honestly think paying for the majority of AV software is a fucking sham.

All I have is Windows defender, Malwarebytes, and common sense. If you want extra security i would recommend Avast is pretty good.

I had Panda because I got a free membership and it was actually really nice to use and had lots of cool features. But I still wouldn't pay for it again. I've also used SuperAntiSpyware and it was pretty good

Ok Yeah because I am looking at bit defender because I have also seen that is highly used what are you thoughts on that.

3 hours ago, Duhgy said:

Ok Yeah because I am looking at bit defender because I have also seen that is highly used what are you thoughts on that.

I think I had it for a bit on my old PC, and I honestly don't remember too much about it, but I thought it was decent. Pretty decent to use and not intrusive.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

I use eset on mine. Switched the company over to it as well. Works pretty well, rated high in the detection tests, and isn't typically resource intensive unlike other ones i have tried in the past. 

This is interesting question - which AV software is the best.

If we're talking about popularity - it's easy to check. But if we're talking about real protection, it may be difficult. Virus creators have the same access to all that software, so they can test their malware / viruses using the same AV programs as you. This gives a little hint to use less popular AV. But then - less popular means worse many times (less money for develop it and there is sometimes good reason why people do not use them). If I would pay for not so popular AV solution, I would choose Vipre - probably for their cool firewall (I was using Sunbelt/Kerio years ago and Vipre is successor of it). If I want to focus on paid antimalware, I would pay for SpyHunter - program that has very bad reputation in fact, but surprisingly in my long time experience, can detect many times real threats when any else popular antimalware can't.

You can also try to install Comodo - their security packet, if combined with firewall, may be more useful than regular AV software (firewall can detect anything that connects to internet, not only when program is infected/trojan - and then you can kill it or disable it).

But if you want just feel more secure, install any free AV that people use widely.

Remember that any AV software have cons - it may slow down your file access (or even whole computer) - just like some viruses. :) It may not work fast enough to detect problem (I saw once when AV detects problem after program was executed and running; it doesn't allow to run the same software again, but once is enough). So, if you're paranoid about viruses and if you're guy who reinstall system every infection, the good option will be made images of your whole system every week (use Macrium Reflect for example) and restore them when needed.

• 3 weeks later...

I have avast and while it works pretty good they SPAM the crap out of you with daily pop up windows telling you to upgrade to this or that etc. Mine expires in 5 days and I am looking forward to ripping it out and installing a different AV

6 hours ago, shadeogray said:

I have avast and while it works pretty good (...)

You mean "work" like detecting viruses (how many) or just "work" in the background and not disturbing?

Windows Defender and keeping windows up to date is good enough, no additional AV needed.

The best free antivirus are Avast and Kaspersky Security Cloud (you really don't need to pay money for antivirus, imo). Both are better and lighter on system resources than Windows Defender. Avast has more features, some of them present in only paid versions on other brands, a behavior shield that sandboxes unknown applications on startup, network inspector...

If you use the new trending Opera GX browser, go for Avast, because Kaspersky doesn't support Opera.

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

Work as in it keeps the virus out but it does disturb more than I care for. 

2 hours ago, shadeogray said:

Work as in it keeps the virus out but it does disturb more than I care for. 

Doesn't disturb at all...

Ryzen 5 2600X / ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 / G.Skill RIPJAWS V 16GB (2X8) 3000Mhz CL15 / Gigabyte RTX 2060 Super Gaming 8GB OC / Corsair RM650X 2018 / Crucial BX500 240GB / Seagate Barracauda 2TB 7200RPM Cooler Master MasterBox E500L /  ASUS TUF Gaming VG27WQ // Rog Orion / Corsair Harpoon RGB Pro / Cooler Master MasterKeys Lite L / Xbox One Red Sport  Special Edition Controller for Windows

• 1 month later...

windows defender. it's built into windows 10. common sense also helps. viruses are a lot less prevalent than they used to be, you don't need to worry. installing 3rd party antiviruses just slows down your computer.

i consider antiviruses malware because their malicious intent is to fearmonger you into buying their overpriced product.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:53 AM, rikupone said:

windows defender. it's built into windows 10. common sense also helps. viruses are a lot less prevalent than they used to be, you don't need to worry. installing 3rd party antiviruses just slows down your computer.

i consider antiviruses malware because their malicious intent is to fearmonger you into buying their overpriced product.

I've seen tests where Windows Defender now slows down your computer more than Kaspersky and Avast, it's the cost of their recent improvement in protection. Still its Ransomware protection is weak.

It's not a problem if they try to make you buy the paid version, just don't buy it 🤣