What highest gpu to buy to avoid bottleneck?

sahildale
Go to solution Solved by papajo,
36 minutes ago, sahildale said:

I currently dont have any gpu I'm thinking of getting 710

Anything tha has just a "GT" in its name (and not GTX) and or ends in x10,x20,x30,x40 is not a graphics card its more like a video adapter.. like the basic means to be able to see windows on your screen definitely not for gaming (Gt 1030 being the only exception but its nothing to write home about either) 

try to find a decent priced GTX 750 ti

but if I were you I would just try to sell that rig for a few bucks (try facebook market, local techforums etc) save some money on top + the money you are looking to spend for the GPU and buy instead a ryzen system with vega integrated graphics...

It will be able to play counter strike at a similar performance than what you can hope for with your current rig and then you can save money for getting a decent graphics card in the future which would be supported by your ryzen system..

the one you have has an OEM mobo, 200watt PSU and a core 2 duo.. which restrains you at picking anything decent without bottlenecking your GPU and/or have power delivery issues or compatibility issues.. 

Motherboard : HP Pegatron IPM41-D3

https://www.game-debate.com/motherboard/index.php?mot_id=3341&motherboard=HP Pegatron IPM41-D3

CPU : Core 2 duo E8400

Ram ddr3 3 gb

Expansion slots

2 x PCI 32bit
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16

I will be playing cs go mostly at 1280 * 1024 resolution 

I have gt 710 in mind 

Also If cpu upgrade is possible for motherboard  please do suggest

Honestly, junk this system and get a used workstation with an i5 or i7 then add a used 1050 Ti

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

Honestly, junk this system and get a used workstation with an i5 or i7 then add a used 1050 Ti

I don't have money to upgrade 

I just wanna play cs go and for that ubwant me to upgrade

Do you have additional available power from the existing PSU for a GPU?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Your current GT710 not enough? How many fps did you get?

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

16 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

Your current GT710 not enough? How many fps did you get?

that 200W PSU might be a problem so ye, a GT1030 might be ok. a 710 as it literally is worse than an integrated display adapter. might as well just use the integrated graphics from your cpu. 

Options would be

GTX750Ti(no power connector versions)

GTX750(no power connector version)

GT1030

RX550

RX560

RX450

RX460

GTX950 (no power connector)

check if any of these matches your price point. as mucch as possible, try to look for something that consumes less than 75W and is used since that would be cheaper.

Im with the mentaility of "IF IM NOT SURE IF ITS ENOUGH COOLING, GO OVERKILL"

CURRENT PC SPECS    

CPU             Ryzen 5 3600 (Formerly Ryzen 3 1200)

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

MOBO            : MSI B350m Bazooka

MEMORY          Team Group Elite TUF DDR4 3600 Mhz CL 16
STORAGE         : Seagate Baracudda 1TB and Kingston SSD
PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE            : Rakk Anyag Frost
CPU COOLER      : ID-Cooling SE 207
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)
DISPLAY         : SpectrePro XTNS24 144hz Curved VA panel
MOUSE           : Logitech G603 Lightspeed
KEYBOARD        : Rakk Lam Ang

HEADSET         : Plantronics RIG 500HD

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

1 minute ago, MartinKweh said:

that 200W PSU might be a problem so ye, a GT1030 might be ok. a 710 feels a bit underwhelming. a 730 may be ok

Do i need power cable from psu for 1030 or just plug it straight into pcie 

Just now, sahildale said:

3 minutes ago, MartinKweh said:

that 200W PSU might be a problem so ye, a GT1030 might be ok. a 710 feels a bit underwhelming. a 730 may be ok.

Problem for 710 or 730 or 1030 

GT 1030 GDDR5 would be the only worthwhile purchase, but your experience still be very underwhelming because of your CPU and the lack of RAM.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

Just now, sahildale said:

there are 1030 that doesnt require power connectors so you can just plug it straight in to the PCIE slot. as far as i know a 1030 can consume less than 50W. Also a fair warning. dont buy the DDR4 version of the 1030. check if its the gddr5.

CURRENT PC SPECS    

GPU             : ASUS RX 580 Dual OC (Formerly ASUS GTX 1060 but it got corroded for some odd reasons)

GPU COOOER      : ID Cooling Frostflow 120 VGA (Stock cooler overheats even when undervolted :()

PSU             : Thermaltake Lite power 550W (Gonna change soon as i dont trust this)
CASE FANS       : Mix of ID cooling fans, Corsair fans and Rakk Ounos (planned change to ID Cooling)

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

and a whole lot of LED everywhere(behind the monitor, behind the desk, behind the shelf of the PC mount and inside the case)

Just now, Benji said:

I do agree with a GT 1030 (GDDR5!) being the best choice for such a system. In that case you can also keep the PSU and don't need to upgrade anything else.

@MartinKweh The maximum TDP of the GT1030 is actually 30 Watts, so there are literally no versions of it with any sort of external power connector as it simply just doesn't need one.

i meant on the other cards i mentioned since some of those cards comes with power connectors. 

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

3 minutes ago, sahildale said:

Problem for 710 or 730 or 1030 

Drop 710, it just too weak.

730, 750, 1030
Depend on pricing, all 3 should be good enough for your need but your CPU will be the biggest bottleneck imo. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Just now, Benji said:

@MartinKweh Ah, got it. Yet I think, especially since he is apparently financially constrained, a GT1030 would be the only choice that makes sense.

i think the parts i mentioned could fit in as well. especially used. i gave my sister an RX560 2gb i got for $40 and it literally feels a lot better than a 1050. they are pretty cheap. 

though i doubt he can find the same offers but its worth a try. (the model was HIS RX560 2gb)

CURRENT PC SPECS    

Kingston Hyper X Stinger

Just be aware that cards with no power connector use the pcie slot to provide the power.  775 boards can be pretty flaky supplying power through the pcie slots. 

well ryzen 5 1600 af is pretty good and cheap rn. You should just buy a new system

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

36 minutes ago, sahildale said:

Anything tha has just a "GT" in its name (and not GTX) and or ends in x10,x20,x30,x40 is not a graphics card its more like a video adapter.. like the basic means to be able to see windows on your screen definitely not for gaming (Gt 1030 being the only exception but its nothing to write home about either) 

try to find a decent priced GTX 750 ti

but if I were you I would just try to sell that rig for a few bucks (try facebook market, local techforums etc) save some money on top + the money you are looking to spend for the GPU and buy instead a ryzen system with vega integrated graphics...

It will be able to play counter strike at a similar performance than what you can hope for with your current rig and then you can save money for getting a decent graphics card in the future which would be supported by your ryzen system..

the one you have has an OEM mobo, 200watt PSU and a core 2 duo.. which restrains you at picking anything decent without bottlenecking your GPU and/or have power delivery issues or compatibility issues.. 

Core 2 Quad CPU & GT 1030.

SLAMD-XT  Ryzen 2600X 4.125ghz 1.26v~Gigabyte B450 Aorus ELITE~16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz C15~Arcting Cooling Freezer 34 Esports Duo~Gigabyte Aorus RX 5700-XT~CIT chassis~120GB PNY SSD~WD BLUE 3D NAND 1TB SSD M.2~Phobya 120mm G.Silent's~SuperFlower Leadex III GOLD~Razer Basilisk~RedDragon Kumura

59 minutes ago, sahildale said:

Also If cpu upgrade is possible for motherboard  please do suggest

Looks like you are stuck with the cpu.  HP website says the E8xxx series chips are top of the line for it.  This board is very strange, they built it with ddr3 but only a max of 4gb can be installed and it doesn't support any core 2 quads.  I would save up for a newer system at this point. 

14 minutes ago, GreyestGoat said:

Core 2 Quad CPU & GT 1030.

not sure if PSU cant handle it... core 2 quat has 95 to 115 watt TDP depending on the chip he chooses + some dell mobos dont support quads he should better check on the dell forums for that. 

9 minutes ago, Benji said:

@papajo Based on HPs official specification webpage for this motherboard, it supports Core 2 Duo E8xxx, Core 2 Duo E7xxx, Pentium E5xxx and Celeron E1xx0 CPUs, so this board actually doesn't support Core 2 Quads anyway.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02185182

This is the weblink for anyone that should be interested.

well although I thought it was a dell (didnt check much on the other posts, I thought that just from the PSU pictureand by glancing on the tower pic) same goes for HP OEM prebuilds unfortunately its a dead end he should try to build a new system with integrated vega graphics that would be the cheapest option to meet his creteria that makes sense + it will have much bigger life expectancy and futureproofness