The grand final: HD598 or DT990 pro?

Shuai

So after months of dwelling within forums I've come to a conclusion, I'll either get the HD598 or DT990 pro.

My 1st question is quite simple, is any of the aforementioned products about to be replaced in the near future? I don't want to be the guy to buy some headphones in the last 3 weeks of their life.

The second one is regarding which one I'd like the most, I'm linking some youtube tracks as examples of the music i listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaTBWr-5hY

Prices:

HD598 50 ohm: 1490 sek <=> $230

DT990 pro 250 ohm: 1380 sek <=> $215

Thank you for your time!

The 598's shouldn't be replaced within the next six months, I asked one of the guys at Sennheiser before I bought mine.  The DT990's will probably suit your taste in music better as they're more bass heavy than the 598's, you will need an amp if you use those though.

12600k | MSI MEG S280 | SSUPD Meshilicious | Asus ROG STRIX Z690-I | Crucial 16GB 4800MHz CL38 | MSI Gaming 980Ti | CM V850 SFX | WD SN850 1TB, WD SN550 1TB 
Pi 4TB NAS | Asus VG27AQ, Asus PB278Q | Logitech G Pro X Superlight | Glorious G-HXL-STEALTH | Keychron K4 V2 | Sennheiser HD 599 w/ Fiio E10

The 598's shouldn't be replaced within the next six months, I asked one of the guys at Sennheiser before I bought mine.  The DT990's will probably suit your taste in music better as they're more bass heavy than the 598's, you will need an amp if you use those though.

no need for an amp.

I have a laptop from 2005, and even that one can drive the DT 990's to a pretty loud level.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

no need for an amp.

I have a laptop from 2005, and even that one can drive the DT 990's to a pretty loud level.

Varies from person to person.

Those are pretty different headphones when it comes to sound.. I myself prefer the Sennheisers, as the PC360's I have (same drivers) sound pretty good to me, but it's your choice. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

The DT 990's in theory will sound better on an amp and they are quite a lot harder to drive the the 598's, but really both are very good headphones.

The DT 990's in theory will sound better on an amp and they are quite a lot harder to drive the the 598's, but really both are very good headphones.

In theory, you can't listen to a headphone without an amp.

Hmm... Well, my problem is that I can test the HD 598, but not the DT 990 pro.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the HD 598's soundstage is kind of narrow, would the DT 900 pro be an improvement?

Then there's the V-shape of the DT 900 pros, in a track like this:

Would the DT 990 pros be able to make the high-pitch violins clearer or would they just become too bright and squeeky?

And well, I guess that segways into the third and final question, which one got better clarity in general?

Yet again, thank you for your time!

Hmm... Well, my problem is that I can test the HD 598, but not the DT 990 pro.

I don't know if it's just me, but I think the HD 598's soundstage is kind of narrow, would the DT 900 pro be an improvement?

Then there's the V-shape of the DT 900 pros, in a track like this:

Would the DT 990 pros be able to make the high-pitch violins clearer or would they just become too bright and squeeky?

And well, I guess that segways into the third and final question, which one got better clarity in general?

Yet again, thank you for your time!

Clarity is not an audio term. It doesn't mean anything. Clear to one person is muddy to another and sibilant to a third.

If you want a wide soundstage, go for an ATH-AD700X, because the DT 990 and HD 598 are just "regular" open headphones.

Well, I would've had lest they costed $354, +54% compared to the HD 598.

Oh right.... Norway... Sorry, I forgot.

I think he's in Sweden, as he listed swedish currency in the first post. I agree with everything else you've said though.

I think he's in Sweden, as he listed swedish currency in the first post. I agree with everything else you've said though.

So Sweden uses SEK, what does Norway use?

So Sweden uses SEK, what does Norway use?

NOK.

Sweden, Norway, Denmark and Iceland all use their own variant of the Krone, so it's Norwegian Krone (NOK), Swedish Krone (SEK), Danish Krone (DKK), Icelandic Krone (ISK).

EDIT: and they're all different in value.

Edited by Lauen

1 very cool thing about headphones and decent speakers: Moores Law does not apply. Unlike GPUs where a 2 yr. Old card is ancient, a good pair of speakers/headphones, when taken care of will last decades.