I just bought FC980C Black on Black and keycaps are starting to shine after ... 1 week?

Hello guys, I

just bought FC980C (Black on Black) and the typing feel is amazing. But there's an issue with the keycaps, they are starting to shine, I keep my hand clean before using the keyboard and even have my sanitizer gel bottle next to me but the keycaps still shine (it's like a little greasy/oily on the keycaps) ... I did a light clean by using microfiber and warm water but the grease/oily is still there. Does cleaning too much will remove the matte of the keycaps so they are easily to get greasy/oily? Should I just leave it there and light clean regularly?  Cannot believe a $300 keyboard has shining keycaps after 1 week... :(

4 minutes ago, NickPham said:
Hello guys, I

just bought FC980C (Black on Black) and the typing feel is amazing. But there's an issue with the keycaps, they are starting to shine, I keep my hand clean before using the keyboard and even have my sanitizer gel bottle next to me but the keycaps still shine (it's like a little greasy/oily on the keycaps) ... I did a light clean by using microfiber and warm water but the grease/oily is still there. Does cleaning too much will remove the matte of the keycaps so they are easily to get greasy/oily? Should I just leave it there and light clean regularly?  Cannot believe a $300 keyboard has shining keycaps after 1 week... :(

Dip a microfiber cloth in some warm water mixed with a bit of dishwash soap and clean a couple off. I had this issue with a couple keyboards before and after a couple weeks it stopped being bad. Keycaps will always shine but sometimes a material has to get broken in first.

@NickPhamCare to post a pic? It's very odd, pbt caps don't tend to shine quickly.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Dip a microfiber cloth in some warm water mixed with a bit of dishwash soap and clean a couple off. I had this issue with a couple keyboards before and after a couple weeks it stopped being bad. Keycaps will always shine but sometimes a material has to get broken in first.

Were they pbt though?

2 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Care to post a pic? It's very odd, pbt caps don't tend to shine quickly.

Were they pbt though?

Nope just normal abs.

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Nope just normal abs.

That's not the case with op's board, it has pbt caps, great quality ones even. abs always(with some exceptions) shines, pbt does not(again, with exceptions).

I'm using DasKeyboard Ultimate, very similar. And yes - it start shining not so long after first use. I think that mate color is just polished somehow by typing. I use to it, still looks good (but used).

@noxdeouroboros I try to take pics but the grease/oil doesn't show up in the pictures with no filter on the camera... :(

@jaslion I did, but I feel like it's still the same, just annoyed with keycap issue that I mentioned above... :(

2 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

I'm using DasKeyboard Ultimate, very similar.

Not similar... Again, abs caps.

Just now, NickPham said:

@noxdeouroboros I try to take pics but the grease/oil doesn't show up in the pictures with no filter on the camera... :(

@jaslion I did, but I feel like it's still the same, just annoyed with keycap issue that I mentioned above... :(

I would consider returning it. Where did you buy it from?

7 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

That's not the case with op's board, it has pbt caps, great quality ones even. abs always(with some exceptions) shines, pbt does not(again, with exceptions).

I did a search and found that PBT caps will take much longer to shine, wish Leopold used PBT Double Shot to make it oil & scratch-resistance. :( I bought it from a supplier in Vietnam, it's over 1 week of use so I cannot return the product...

6 minutes ago, NickPham said:

I did a search and found that PBT caps will take much longer to shine, wish Leopold used PBT Double Shot to make it oil & scratch-resistance. :( 

They use dye sublimated pbt caps, which are great. Where did you buy it from?

Edited by noxdeouroboros
wrong type of caps

1 minute ago, NickPham said:

I did a search and found that PBT caps will take much longer to shine, wish Leopold used PBT Double Shot to make it oil & scratch-resistance. :( I bought it from a supplier in Vietnam, it's over 1 week of use so I cannot return the product...

Can you remove any keycap, put it upside down and take a pic?

4 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Can you remove any keycap, put it upside down and take a pic?

These pics are the best that I can take...

image.png.9e5058f433194a9f94eaaf2a79ad59d0.png

image.png.cd6536e6c57bad62b3de38e8880a37bf.png

11 minutes ago, NickPham said:

These pics are the best that I can take...

Spoiler

image.png.9e5058f433194a9f94eaaf2a79ad59d0.png

Spoiler

image.png.cd6536e6c57bad62b3de38e8880a37bf.png

Looks fine, as they should look. Maybe you spilled some hand sanitizer on them by any chance?

@geo3 Do dye subs tend to shine quicker compared to doubleshots? I don't think so, am I wrong?

6 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Looks fine, as they should look. Maybe you spilled some hand sanitizer on them by any chance?

I keep liquid away from keyboard so I'm sure there's no chance that will happen, just sometimes I use hand sanitizer on my hands and let them dry before using the keyboard.

6 minutes ago, NickPham said:

I keep liquid away from keyboard so I'm sure there's no chance that will happen, just sometimes I use hand sanitizer on my hands and let them dry before using the keyboard.

Post a pic of those shiny caps if you can. It's an odd thing, your caps shouldn't shine, especially not after a week of use.