10gb/s ethernet

Go to solution Solved by WereCatf,
1 minute ago, DarkMedic said:

1st question) do i need to upgrade my modem to a 10gb/s one?

Only if you have a 10Gbps Internet-connection. Hint: you almost certainly do not.

2 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

2nd question) if my motherboard only has a 1gb/s ethernet connector, what should i do to like increase to either 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s?

You need to buy a 2.5Gbps or 10Gbps PCI-E NIC, yes.

Now, I have a question for you: do you actually have any use for such? Do you e.g. have a NAS with 2.5Gbps (or faster) NIC? It'd be pointless to upgrade, if you don't actually have any use for it.

(I mean modem as router)Hi guys, I'm planning to build a gaming desktop. I'm wondering about ethernet. Normally, a household uses 1gb/s modem or ethernet, but I'm thinking to have my gaming desktop to have like 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s ethernet. 1st question) do i need to upgrade my modem to a 10gb/s one? 2nd question) if my motherboard only has a 1gb/s ethernet connector, what should i do to like increase to either 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s? should i buy something? Thank you

1st question) do i need to upgrade my modem to a 10gb/s one?

Only if you have a 10Gbps Internet-connection. Hint: you almost certainly do not.

2 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

2nd question) if my motherboard only has a 1gb/s ethernet connector, what should i do to like increase to either 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s?

Now, I have a question for you: do you actually have any use for such? Do you e.g. have a NAS with 2.5Gbps (or faster) NIC? It'd be pointless to upgrade, if you don't actually have any use for it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

Hi guys, I'm planning to build a gaming desktop. I'm wondering about ethernet. Normally, a household uses 1gb/s modem or ethernet, but I'm thinking to have my gaming desktop to have like 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s ethernet. 1st question) do i need to upgrade my modem to a 10gb/s one? 2nd question) if my motherboard only has a 1gb/s ethernet connector, what should i do to like increase to either 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s? should i buy something? Thank you

Why would you need 10GB/s? are you working for NASA or something? like that internet is just insanely good... and i don't see the point of spending money to upgrade your 1gb/s or better internet... That is already insanely good. Can download the biggest games in 3 minutes like bruh. For me it takes 4 days.

5 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

Hi guys, I'm planning to build a gaming desktop. I'm wondering about ethernet. Normally, a household uses 1gb/s modem or ethernet, but I'm thinking to have my gaming desktop to have like 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s ethernet. 1st question) do i need to upgrade my modem to a 10gb/s one? 2nd question) if my motherboard only has a 1gb/s ethernet connector, what should i do to like increase to either 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s? should i buy something? Thank you

You can upgrade if you wish but your speed will be determined by your IPS connection, if you know what that sped is then go by that figure.

If you do not, contact your ISP and find out what you are receiving.

Commonly DSL is 5/2-40/5 and cable is 20/2-100/10. If you are lucky to have fiber your looking at 1000/10-100.

Most commonly your internet modem is provided by the IPS if it is DSL, Cable you can sometimes get your own modem.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Just now, WereCatf said:

He lives in Signapore, and that city/country is known for having one of the best and highest internet speeds in the world so he probs do. 

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

do you actually have any use for such?

normally what do we use 2.5gb/s or 10gb/s for?

13 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

For transferring files between computers, like e.g. between desktop and NAS.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

30 minutes ago, DarkMedic said:

With a 10gb/s connection you could have 10 people on your plan all using 1gb/s at the same time (quick maffs).

Or if you look at the LTT guys for example you can have people do their video editing via ethernet connections on their company network.

Linus did the thing in his own house too. I was watching it when I looked into 10 gig connections. 

btw for me this is pointless i get 50mb/s from my isp and I think the equipment is still too expensive and I'm also not a youtuber who gets content out of upgrading his house ;) interesting to watch though

Do i need to change my modem (router) to like a 2.5gb/s one if i'm getting a 2.5gb/s pcie nic for my desktop?

Just now, DarkMedic said:

Do i need to change my modem (router) to like a 2.5gb/s one if i'm getting a 2.5gb/s pcie nic for my desktop?

What's your Internet-speed?

4 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

What's your Internet-speed?

I'm so sorry, but i do i check it?

I'm so sorry, but i do i check it?

Surely you know what speed you're paying for? If not, you ask your ISP.

2 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Surely you know what speed you're paying for? If not, you ask your ISP.

If I'm not wrong, I think it is like 1gb/s

If I'm not wrong, I think it is like 1gb/s

Then you won't get any benefit from upgrading your modem.

you could just run a speedtest like http://speed.googlefiber.net/ for example

Just now, WereCatf said:

If he has a 1Gbps-modem, how do you expect a speedtest to be able to show if he has more than 1Gbps internet?

yes that is a fair point :D

Just now, merco said:

you could just run a speedtest like http://speed.googlefiber.net/ for example

If he has a 1Gbps-modem, how do you expect a speedtest to be able to show if he has more than 1Gbps internet?

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

But my gaming laptop is just getting 68 t;his from speed.googlefiber.netCapture.JPG.c182fe9523b69e707bdc0140a85d0710.JPG

Maybe to clear things up if you want higher speed everything in your network needs to support that, your internet plan from your ISP, your router, your ethernet device, your cables, everything needs to support the higher speed.

Of course you could still only upgrade your PC and the rest of your home network to increase your speed inside of it, like werecatf mentioned for example if you want to speed up the connection between your NAS at home and your desktop. That will NOT speed up your internet connection though.

Do you have a NAS? If you don't, it's no point going 10 Gbps.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Just now, Mihle said:

This is what I've been trying to say, but it seems no one's listening to me.

18 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Yeah what this guy said. Finally someone who understands! 

5 hours ago, DarkMedic said:

But my gaming laptop is just getting 68 t;his from speed.googlefiber.net

That's because you're trying to transmit crap half way across the earth.  Choose a more local speed test and you'll see higher numbers.

Unless you have the option of over 1 gbps for WAN or move a lot of data internally, it's not worth the equipment investment.

PC : 3600 · Crosshair VI WiFi · 2x16GB RGB 3200 · 1080Ti SC2 · 1TB WD SN750 · EVGA 1600G2 · Define C 

There is one possibility where it could benefit going higher than 1Gbit, if somehow you managed to download at 1Gbit and wanted to copy files to/from another PC on the LAN, at the same time.  A pretty unlikely scenario though for most people.

I upgraded because I do plan to get Gigabit FTTP once it launches here and I didn't want to bottleneck downloads on my server/NAS while I was also moving files to/from that machine to other PCs on the network.

You don't necessarily need to upgrade the modem/router though, just have a multi-gig switch you plug the PCs into with one port of that going to the router.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

There is one possibility where it could benefit going higher than 1Gbit, if somehow you managed to download at 1Gbit and wanted to copy files to/from another PC on the LAN, at the same time.  A pretty unlikely scenario though for most people.

Ethernet is full-duplex (unless something's wrong with the network), so you can already download from one source at 1Gbps and copy to another at 1Gbps, no need for 2.5Gbps or higher for that.

38 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Ethernet is full-duplex (unless something's wrong with the network), so you can already download from one source at 1Gbps and copy to another at 1Gbps, no need for 2.5Gbps or higher for that.

Except the NAS has Ironwolf drives which can do 200MB/s, so were already bottlenecking. ;)  Plus you'd lose at least 300KB of speed due to ACKs, not even considering that I might be copying TO the machine that was downloading which immediately bottlenecks.

Even low-end modern HDDs should be able to do at least slightly over a Gigabit.

Now is it worth the cost?  For my scenario it clearly was, for anyone else they need to consider what they will be doing.

I'm not trying to divert this thread, just explain that you need to know your use-case to decide if its worth it or not.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7