So is now generally considered a good or bad time to start a new build?

I'm honestly completely on the fence, from what I heard the RTX 3000 series & Ryzen 4000s were supposed to come this year, but with the whole world on shut down I feel somewhat conflicted on whether to finally make my new 2020 build.

I was looking to spend something like £1500 to £1800ish, aiming at a Ryzen 3700x & RTX 2070 Super for editing and streaming, possibly even trying a Mini ITX or SFF build, but have the prices on components started increasing?

Anyone else in a similar situation where they're worried about getting hit by those ridiculous RAM prices a few years ago when there was a large shortage of supplies?

6 minutes ago, TobyJT said:

I'm honestly completely on the fence, from what I heard the RTX 3000 series & Ryzen 4000s were supposed to come this year, but with the whole world on shut down I feel somewhat conflicted on whether to finally make my new 2020 build.

I was looking to spend something like £1500 to £1800ish, aiming at a Ryzen 3700x & RTX 2070 Super for editing and streaming, possibly even trying a Mini ITX or SFF build, but have the prices on components started increasing?

Anyone else in a similar situation where they're worried about getting hit by those ridiculous RAM prices a few years ago when there was a large shortage of supplies?

I don't want to sound negative at all, but you need to pay attention to the world around you right now. If you have the disposable income available - then go for it. I'd count on some major inflation going on and prices going up quite a bit due to that. So say you have this build all lined up and it costs 1600, if inflation is that bad, that same build might cost 2500 later this year.

12 minutes ago, NovaNightmare said:

I don't want to sound negative at all, but you need to pay attention to the world around you right now. If you have the disposable income available - then go for it. I'd count on some major inflation going on and prices going up quite a bit due to that. So say you have this build all lined up and it costs 1600, if inflation is that bad, that same build might cost 2500 later this year.

Yeah that's what I'm expecting, rising prices on everything but given that the RTX 2000 series is a couple of years old and the AM4 will turn four years old I feel like I'm running the risk of buying right as it's about to become dated.

In addition to what @NovaNightmare said you can probably expect shipping times (if getting something shipped) to suck, and you should probably quarantine any packages for a few weeks as a precaution, and by the time you open it who knows how badly you were potentially scammed.

Just now, PineyCreek said:

In addition to what @NovaNightmare said you can probably expect shipping times (if getting something shipped) to suck, and you should probably quarantine any packages for a few weeks as a precaution, and by the time you open it who knows how badly you were potentially scammed.

Wouldn't it be better to just clean it wearing gloves, open the box outside etc?

It is a quite good period to start a new build as the prices to almost all hardware are decent.

Except from the monitor side, that i have seen crazy higher prices, for example, i bought my monitor 6 month ago for 300€ and now it cost 600++€

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

None of us can tell the future, but if you can wait until later this year, that's what I'd recommend. It also depends on your financial situation. I'm more on the budget side (plus I just love bargain shopping), and upgrades are often cheapest right when something new comes out because people are selling their last gen hardware. For example, a couple years ago I sold my 1060 6GB for $200 and bought a 980 Ti (equivalent to a GTX 1070) for $180.   I got an upgrade and $20 for free.

With the global pandemic, it's not a safe time to be shopping anywhere but online, and prices are fairly inflated right now. Most of us need to save money now as well, but that depends on your personal situation.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

22 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Spray the whole thing down with Lysol, rubbing alcohol, and bleach. That is what I did with my last amazon purchase in this pandemic.

23 minutes ago, TobyJT said:

Wouldn't it be better to just clean it wearing gloves, open the box outside etc?

If it's a new product, that's probably fine.  Disinfect the outside of each box you encounter.  If it's a used item though, I think you're kind of out of luck.  It's guaranteed at that point that someone's touched the product directly since it was first sealed in its package.

depends, this is not the best time but it will be much better than the next months, so if you really need to build a new pc do it now, otherwise I would build a pc 7-8 month from now 

Main PC [The Rig of Theseus]:

CPU: i5-8600K @ 5.0 GHz | GPU: GTX 1660 | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic | PSU: Corsair RM 650i | SSD: Corsair MP510 480 GB |  HDD: 2x 6 TB WD Red| Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Secondary PC [Why did I bother]:

CPU: AMD Athlon 3000G | GPU: Vega 3 iGPU | RAM: 8 GB DDR4 3000 MHz | Case: Corsair 88R | PSU: Corsair VS 650 | SSD: WD Green M.2 SATA 120 GB | Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX | OS: Windows 11 Pro for Workstations

Server [Solution in search of a problem]:

Model: HP DL360e Gen8 | CPU: 1x Xeon E5-2430L v1 | RAM: 12 GB DDR3 1066 MHz | SSD: Kingston A400 120 GB | OS: VMware ESXi 7

Server 2 electric boogaloo [A waste of electricity]:

Model: intel NUC NUC5CPYH | CPU: Celeron N3050 | RAM: 2GB DDR3L 1600 MHz | SSD: Kingston UV400 120 GB | OS: Debian Bullseye

Laptop:

Model: ThinkBook 14 Gen 2 AMD | CPU: Ryzen 7 4700U | RAM: 16 GB DDR4 3200 MHz | OS: Windows 11 Pro

Photography:

Cameras:

Full Frame digital: Sony α7

APS-C digital: Sony α100

Medium Format Film: Kodak Junior SIX-20

35mm Film:

Lenses:

Sony SAL-1870 18-70mm ƒ/3.5-5.6 

Sony SAL-75300 75-300mm ƒ/4.5-5.6

Meike MK-50mm ƒ/1.7

PSA: No, I didn't waste all that money on computers, (except the main one) my server cost $40, the intel NUC was my old PC (although then it had 8GB of ram, I gave the bigger stick of ram to a person who really needed it), my laptop is used and the second PC is really cheap.

I like tinkering with computers and have a personal hatred towards phones and everything they represent (I daily drive an iPhone 7, or a 6, depends on which one works that day)

It depends on your current build.  Are you able to do what you are looking to do on your current build?  Do you need to upgrade other items besides cpu and mobo?  Can your current cpu and mobo use the features of the new hardware that you're looking to get?  Has it been a long time since your last build?

I pulled the trigger on my build a few days ago (likely will make a build log as I work on it) and some of it are being delivered today.  I have been on the same motherboard and cpu for the last 8 years.  I was due for one.  When I made the decision to buy I focused on ram, cpu, cpu cooling, and motherboard.  I generally upgrade my graphics card every few years and wait for prices to drop.  Depending on how this year goes I may pull the trigger on a newer card.

Like others said on this thread - I will be setting the packages aside for a bit to avoid getting Covid.  Everything I purchased is new, but there is no telling about the boxes used for shipping.

13 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

A few weeks? Thats really overkill.

Wear gloves and wipe it with disinfectant and itll be fine.

46 minutes ago, AstroAlan said:

It depends on your current build.  Are you able to do what you are looking to do on your current build?  Do you need to upgrade other items besides cpu and mobo?  Can your current cpu and mobo use the features of the new hardware that you're looking to get?  Has it been a long time since your last build?

I pulled the trigger on my build a few days ago (likely will make a build log as I work on it) and some of it are being delivered today.  I have been on the same motherboard and cpu for the last 8 years.  I was due for one.  When I made the decision to buy I focused on ram, cpu, cpu cooling, and motherboard.  I generally upgrade my graphics card every few years and wait for prices to drop.  Depending on how this year goes I may pull the trigger on a newer card.

Like others said on this thread - I will be setting the packages aside for a bit to avoid getting Covid.  Everything I purchased is new, but there is no telling about the boxes used for shipping.

My last proper gaming/editing PC was way back around 2007 to 2010.

I built my brother's first gaming PC in 2011 which has an i7 3770k and had a GTX670, which is now replaced by an MSI GTX 970 4GB (Might be one of the ones that is really 3.5GB)

Been working on laptops and office PCs since then really, always wanted to get into some nice high refresh rate gaming for things like COD, CSGO etc but never gotten around to doing it.

Brother has finally built his own PC with a bit of my help and he's now running an i7 9700k with a RTX 2070 Super, so he's let me have his old i7 3770k & GTX 970 build.

Don't think it's really going to be able to do much more than low settings all round and still struggle to get a consistent 60fps.

8 minutes ago, TobyJT said:

My last proper gaming/editing PC was way back around 2007 to 2010.

I built my brother's first gaming PC in 2011 which has an i7 3770k and had a GTX670, which is now replaced by an MSI GTX 970 4GB (Might be one of the ones that is really 3.5GB)

Been working on laptops and office PCs since then really, always wanted to get into some nice high refresh rate gaming for things like COD, CSGO etc but never gotten around to doing it.

Brother has finally built his own PC with a bit of my help and he's now running an i7 9700k with a RTX 2070 Super, so he's let me have his old i7 3770k & GTX 970 build.

Don't think it's really going to be able to do much more than low settings all round and still struggle to get a consistent 60fps.

I feel you.  The cpu I have been on for the last 8 years is the i3-3770k (oc to 4.6ghz) and with this combo of cpu and mobo I started with the 760 nvidia card and now up to the 980ti.

The CPU I went to (and should come in today) is the Ryzen 9 3900x.  It's going to feel weird having 12 cores and 24 threads over 4 cores and 8 threads.

I didn't check the pricing of the markets.  I just decided it was time for an overhaul and turn my old system into a server at home.

I'd say if you have the money and planned what you want to build - go for it.  Do not kick yourself later if the market changes because the market is unpredictable.  Maybe hold off on your graphics card if you want to hold out and see the card prices drop again before buying.

22 minutes ago, AstroAlan said:

I feel you.  The cpu I have been on for the last 8 years is the i3-3770k (oc to 4.6ghz) and with this combo of cpu and mobo I started with the 760 nvidia card and now up to the 980ti.

The CPU I went to (and should come in today) is the Ryzen 9 3900x.  It's going to feel weird having 12 cores and 24 threads over 4 cores and 8 threads.

I didn't check the pricing of the markets.  I just decided it was time for an overhaul and turn my old system into a server at home.

I'd say if you have the money and planned what you want to build - go for it.  Do not kick yourself later if the market changes because the market is unpredictable.  Maybe hold off on your graphics card if you want to hold out and see the card prices drop again before buying.

Yeah, reusing and working with older hardware has a nice sentiment to it. What do you use your home server primarily for?
I might do the same with my own, playing about and learning things would be a nice way to kill some time.

Nice CPU though, I was wondering how much more you gain in terms of both performance and heat comparing the 3700x to the 3900x. I've heard people recommending saving extra for the 3900x if you plan to stream and edit. 

1 hour ago, TobyJT said:

Yeah, reusing and working with older hardware has a nice sentiment to it. What do you use your home server primarily for?
I might do the same with my own, playing about and learning things would be a nice way to kill some time.

Nice CPU though, I was wondering how much more you gain in terms of both performance and heat comparing the 3700x to the 3900x. I've heard people recommending saving extra for the 3900x if you plan to stream and edit. 

I'll probably set it up as a media server and to be the server for home security cameras.  I do not like the idea of my home security footage hosted elsewhere.  So I might buy IP cameras and use Blue Iris as the software to run it.  I've set up a virtual home lab for SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager) to learn how to manage end user machines and deploy applications to them.

I would wait. Right now is not a good time to buy. States are shutting down, amazon employees are looking to go on strike, postal workers are getting sick. Warehouses are closing temporally. 

Being here in NY, everything is grinding to a halt. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

14 hours ago, RonnieOP said:

A few weeks? Thats really overkill.

Wear gloves and wipe it with disinfectant and itll be fine.

When I get packages from Ebay there's no guarantee it's going to be coming in a box or even proper packaging.  I assume for example that if I buy a video card and it comes in just a static bag (not sealed in an OEM box) that someone's handled it directly and recently.  I'm not about to put standard disinfectant on it, nor am I about to bathe it in isopropyl unless I'm going to completely redo the paste/pads.

Overkill is better than missing something in today's current situation.  I refuse to take it lightly.

cases and PSU are up in price and board and GPUs are getting hard to find. I'd wait.

before lunar new years is always better than post for the next month-2 after and this just extended it.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

On 3/30/2020 at 3:05 AM, TobyJT said:

I'm a 100% in the same situation as you brother , I just saved enough money for my first gaming rig I was gaming on a laptop for 5 years and I figured it's time to stop and save some money for a proper PC , and here we are.

Ridiculous prices left and right , Ram went up 40$ (ddr4 3600 mhz was 80$ now its 120$) , SSD NVME went 30$ (130$ for 1 TB NVME) , Graphics cards.... was gonna get the 5600 xt for 289$ now its 330$ , my point is everything , literally EVERYTHING is increasing exponentially in price and it might stay that way till quarantine is over. and that is pretty sad cause RIP gaming PC for this summer for sure.  

4 minutes ago, Bruh1 said:

I'm a 100% in the same situation as you brother , I just saved enough money for my first gaming rig I was gaming on a laptop for 5 years and I figured it's time to stop and save some money for a proper PC , and here we are.

Ridiculous prices left and right , Ram went up 40$ (ddr4 3600 mhz was 80$ now its 120$) , SSD NVME went 30$ (130$ for 1 TB NVME) , Graphics cards.... was gonna get the 5600 xt for 289$ now its 330$ , my point is everything , literally EVERYTHING is increasing exponentially in price and it might stay that way till quarantine is over. and that is pretty sad cause RIP gaming PC for this summer for sure.  

well my advice is go new on most and save on a used GPU, even grab a 470/480/570/580/590 or a 980 will be an upgrade over a cheap laptop.wait for GPU prices to drop and buy.

it may also be the specific part you are looking at. I'm still seeing lots of SSDs at 100$. DDR4 is like a roller coaster so that stick may have gone up but most haven't.

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

well my advice is go new on most and save on a used GPU, even grab a 470/480/570/580/590 or a 980 will be an upgrade over a cheap laptop.wait for GPU prices to drop and buy.

it may also be the specific part you are looking at. I'm still seeing lots of SSDs at 100$. DDR4 is like a roller coaster so that stick may have gone up but most haven't.

I actually looked some more into ddr4 and I somehow found a 16 gb kit 2x8 4000 Mhz for 110$ and its a good brand G.skill ripjaws , thats some great value for nowadays.

I'll just wait to build the entire thing later , hopefully this summer when I finish college things start to open up a  bit , you think this would be over by the end of June? It's really unpredictable I can't even tell whats gonna happen in 3 months

1 minute ago, Bruh1 said:

I actually looked some more into ddr4 and I somehow found a 16 gb kit 2x8 4000 Mhz for 110$ and its a good brand G.skill ripjaws , thats some great value for nowadays.

I'll just wait to build the entire thing later , hopefully this summer when I finish college things start to open up a  bit , you think this would be over by the end of June? It's really unpredictable I can't even tell whats gonna happen in 3 months

I don’t have any knowledge in retail and what will happen. The factories are coming online finally so unless they get re tooled for something around the virus supply should grow and outpace demand but shipping will be the issue. 

Really hard to say.

Here the $AUD has tanked. Don't get much for your dollary doo. I can see stores jacking prices up to compensate.

Monitors, webcams etc. are all sold out and expensive.

I just got a RAM upgrade, doubled it and better speed and RGB for the same price than back when there was the RAM shortage.

Going to be really hard to know how badly affected the supply chain will get, if certain parts of Asia get badly hit you might see prices surge.

1 hour ago, GDRRiley said:

I don’t have any knowledge in retail and what will happen. The factories are coming online finally so unless they get re tooled for something around the virus supply should grow and outpace demand but shipping will be the issue. 

Oh are factories really coming back online? that's some GREAT news if so , cause from what I can tell China is kinda controlling the situation and like literally 90% of factories are there so we might have some hopes if they are getting back online , shipping is truly the issue now , hopefully it will be all resolved I really really wanted my gaming rig to enjoy this summer before I go to med school :/