So is now generally considered a good or bad time to start a new build?

9 hours ago, PineyCreek said:

When I get packages from Ebay there's no guarantee it's going to be coming in a box or even proper packaging.  I assume for example that if I buy a video card and it comes in just a static bag (not sealed in an OEM box) that someone's handled it directly and recently.  I'm not about to put standard disinfectant on it, nor am I about to bathe it in isopropyl unless I'm going to completely redo the paste/pads.

Overkill is better than missing something in today's current situation.  I refuse to take it lightly.

Im not talking about taking precautions.

Im talking about the "couple weeks" part.

Theres no reason to leave it that long. I mean the second you grab the box and bring it inside you are taking the most risks since its been handled by multiple people at the carrier alone. 

Just a quick wipe down would be enough. 

On 4/7/2020 at 9:03 AM, juandeag2k said:

Do not build/buy a PC anytime soon.

Why?

18 hours ago, TobyJT said:

Why?

All components prices are inflated due to the current situation.

so heres the thing

right now say a build would cost 1500, it could inflate to 2000 or more if the virus keeps happening.

but usually when a new series comes out, the old series has a slight price drop.

so i would actually wit for the virus pandemic to be done and over with, then when the 3000 series drops, the inflation will most likely be gone and the price will be lower than before because of the new series.

BTW ive heard some parts are already inflating, so if you do decide to do it now, do it fast.

stuff is cool. stuff that has fancy lighting is cooler. stuff that has fancy lighting and works is the coolest.

i game so i know a bit abt gaming tech, not much abt professional tech.

writing this as i finish a 3 hour D2 sesh so excuse anything wrong.

On the flip side, if you are planning on upgrading some time in the near future, supply chains are probably going to be disrupted for a while. As it's likely to be downhill for the foreseeable future, this might be the best time to buy for the next 6 months to a year.

On 3/30/2020 at 3:05 AM, TobyJT said:

I'm honestly completely on the fence, from what I heard the RTX 3000 series & Ryzen 4000s were supposed to come this year, but with the whole world on shut down I feel somewhat conflicted on whether to finally make my new 2020 build.

I was looking to spend something like £1500 to £1800ish, aiming at a Ryzen 3700x & RTX 2070 Super for editing and streaming, possibly even trying a Mini ITX or SFF build, but have the prices on components started increasing?

Anyone else in a similar situation where they're worried about getting hit by those ridiculous RAM prices a few years ago when there was a large shortage of supplies?

same here mate , saved 1200$ for my first gaming rig and I have no clue what to do now , do I actually do it and lose like 200$ worth of value cause of the whole world shut down thing or just wait? Idk , I don't even have a proper desk to get a gaming rig I need a new desk and I have no clue how to get one cause everything is fucking closed. 

its quite sad I was planning on spending quite the summer vacation with my buds gaming but I guess not , Thanks CoShit-19

On 3/31/2020 at 5:06 AM, GDRRiley said:

I don’t have any knowledge in retail and what will happen. The factories are coming online finally so unless they get re tooled for something around the virus supply should grow and outpace demand but shipping will be the issue. 

The issue is this is out of economic desperation, we already see the signs of a second (or continued?) outbreak in the PRC. I believe that we can expect another shutdown in the next month or so.  

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

On 3/31/2020 at 6:57 AM, Bruh1 said:

Oh are factories really coming back online? that's some GREAT news if so , cause from what I can tell China is kinda controlling the situation and like literally 90% of factories are there so we might have some hopes if they are getting back online , shipping is truly the issue now , hopefully it will be all resolved I really really wanted my gaming rig to enjoy this summer before I go to med school :/ 

The factories are coming back online, but the question is how long as the PRC has not truly defeated COVID19, this is an effort by the CCP to save the Chinese economy, and not a real recovery. If you do not need a new computer now, I would recommend waiting a year unless the state of geopolitics devolves more rapidly than anticipated.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!