Upgrading from 8 year old build (i7 3770K) - Need Help!

bdk74

Hello,

I've been out of the game with hardware for quite some time now thus asking for the advise.  Looking for best build for the $ to replace my good old 3770K. Thank you in advance for your input.

Long story short:

Since the beginning I've been with Intel but for this build I think I want to go team red (not only because performance wise they got better but $ also).

Budget is tight so I'm trying to squeeze most of out the buck. I don't really care much about i.e: 5 degrees Celsius difference or minor FPS improvement.  Performance to $ ratio (ROI)  needs to be there. But if I would have to give you the number we are looking $900 +-

Would like to reduce noise to the minimum since I'm planing to place the case on the table.

Currently using 34 inch LG monitor (3440x1440) just fyi.

Not really interested in OCing anymore and not interested much in RGB theme.

Use for this build is a mix of:

- "light" gaming i.e: csgo, gta5, witcher bf4 - nothing crazy

- work mostly email, ssh, visio, slack etc.. so nothing intense

- 1080/4K drone footage editing as a hobby(powerDirector) - I've done 4K footage editing on my current setup and I didn't really complain but thought I'll mention it.

So Far Build(as of 3/27/2020):

- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ $160 (can't beat microcenter) -  thoughts?

- HSF: Not sure if I should go with stock or beQuiet (Rock Slim) or Noctua (nh-u12a) so for the sake @ $65.I don't trust AIO since once I had a leak and it fried my GPU so... - Thoughts ?

- MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M @ $65 (microcenter) - I've also considered ASRock B450M PRO4 which would be $5 less than AORUS but my 8 year old rig is running on Gigabyte and I've never had issues with it. Also I don't see PCIE 4.0 to be huge at this point so I think B450 is solid - What do you think?

- MEM: Don't really care much since no OCing so i.e: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 2400 @ 68 (newegg). Any other company you would recommend?

- STORAGE: I've heard good reviews about Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME @ $100. Don't really need 500GB since 256 is plenty but $20 difference between 256<>500 is no brainier imho thoughts?! I have spare spinning for data so we good there.

- GPU: Tough one for me - undecided. Currently running on rx 480 and had nothing but problems (drivers etc). I don't know if I should just go back to team green on this one. Perhaps 2060S or 2070S? Need to do more research if 2070s is worth it that extra $100 +-

- CASE: I want to go mATX and I have two on my mind: Corsair Crystal 280X @ $95 (non RGB) or  NZXT H510 @ 70 - Anyone with one of these cases that could share your opinion? I love the isolation for the PSU and cable management.

- PSU: Another tough one for me. Estimate Wattage with this setup is at around 321W (estimated with 2060S). Primarily it needs to  be as quite at possible and would like it to be modular (less cable mess). Was looking at beQuiet PSUs but again I would love to hear your opinion on this one. For the sake I've looked at EVGA SuperNOVA @ $80 ($20 rebate).

That being said rough total so far: $608‬ (without GPU)?!

Trying to see how can this be optimized and of course your opinion matters!

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

I'd go with this.

you're right on the cpu.

better motherboard. cheaper cooler with two fans (will keep things cool and quiet)

2x8 3200 ram (ryen benefits from it, believe me. all you have to do is enable xmp in bios, it's not really overclocking)

samsung is overpriced, grabbed you a decent nvme drive for much less

2070s doesn't really fit your budget, and if you only do light gaming, no need for it to be honest.

matx case with decent cooling

good quiet psu

4 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

I'd go with this.

you're right on the cpu.

better motherboard. cheaper cooler with two fans (will keep things cool and quiet)

2x8 3200 ram (ryen benefits from it, believe me. all you have to do is enable xmp in bios, it's not really overclocking)

samsung is overpriced, grabbed you a decent nvme drive for much less

2070s doesn't really fit your budget, and if you only do light gaming, no need for it to be honest.

matx case with decent cooling

good quiet psu

boggy77 thank you for the input - couple follow ups.

Thoughts on perhaps going 2700x since its got more cores for extra $20? 2700x also comes with better HSF so no need for ARCTIC?!

Scared of MSI to be honest unless its $150+ mobo its risky. I'll check it out though...

Not familiar with OLOy memory. Is this reliable vendor?

500W should be sufficient?

What is your opinion about GTX instead of RTX? Again been awhile so not sure what is better....

Welcome to the forum!

21 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

- HSF: Not sure if I should go with stock or beQuiet (Rock Slim) or Noctua (nh-u12a) so for the sake @ $65.I don't trust AIO since once I had a leak and it fried my GPU so... - Thoughts ?

- MOBO: Gigabyte B450 AORUS M @ $65 (microcenter) - I've also considered ASRock B450M PRO4 which would be $5 less than AORUS but my 8 year old rig is running on Gigabyte and I've never had issues with it. Also I don't see PCIE 4.0 to be huge at this point so I think B450 is solid - What do you think?

- MEM: Don't really care much since no OCing so i.e: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB 2400 @ 68 (newegg). Any other company you would recommend?

- STORAGE: I've heard good reviews about Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME @ $100. Don't really need 500GB since 256 is plenty but $20 difference between 256<>500 is no brainier imho thoughts?! I have spare spinning for data so we good there.

- GPU: Tough one for me - undecided. Currently running on rx 480 and had nothing but problems (drivers etc). I don't know if I should just go back to team green on this one. Perhaps 2060S or 2070S? Need to do more research if 2070s is worth it that extra $100 +-

- CASE: I want to go mATX and I have two on my mind: Corsair Crystal 280X @ $95 (non RGB) or  NZXT H510 @ 70 - Anyone with one of these cases that could share your opinion? I love the isolation for the PSU and cable management.

- PSU: Another tough one for me. Estimate Wattage with this setup is at around 321W (estimated with 2060S). Primarily it needs to  be as quite at possible and would like it to be modular (less cable mess). Was looking at beQuiet PSUs but again I would love to hear your opinion on this one. For the sake I've looked at EVGA SuperNOVA @ $80 ($20 rebate).

Just skimmed your post, but I get what you are going for.

This is my recommendation:

Good choice on the CPU, phenomenal performance and value.

I'd stick to the stock cooler for now, since you don't plan to OC. 

Much better motherboard in terms of VRM cooling.

Ryzen LOVES fast dual channel RAM, this G.skill kit is 3600MHz and CL16.

Better NVME drive in terms of $/GB value, functionally just as good at the 970 Evo.

I'd recommend the RX 5700XT in terms of value it is cheaper/similar price to the RTX 2060S but is nearly the equal to the 2070S in performance. Navi driver issues are no longer a problem, and for the money nothing will be better for your 1440p UW display.

Case is my recommendation as it is good value, good airflow, TG, and very compact for a mATX mini tower, I recently moved one of my systems in the this case, not great for cable management, but otherwise it is great. Feel free to look HERE. Between the cases you are looking at I would get the Corsair Crystal 280X, NZXT cases are overrated, bad airflow. 

PSU, could go for lesser, like the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600W for $90, but the TXm is better quality and a good deal right now, up to you.

And some extra fans that will be needed for intake.

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

Thoughts on perhaps going 2700x since its got more cores for extra $20? 2700x also comes with better HSF so no need for ARCTIC?!

the 3600 performs better in gaming and most productivity tasks. there are only a couple of programs where the 2700x has the edge. the 2700x is more power hungry, so it's included better cooler doesn't really keep it cooler or more quiet. if you want quiet, go for a cooler.

3 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

Scared of MSI to be honest unless its $150+ mobo its risky. I'll check it out though...

msi have the best b450 boards and the worst x570, while asus and gigabyte have the best x570 and the worst b450. asrock have average boards for both categories. Plus, msi MAX boards come with the correct bios for the 3000 series ryzen, while most of the others don't.

4 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

Not familiar with OLOy memory. Is this reliable vendor?

all ram is made by samsung, micron or skhynix and vendors such as oloy just add their own heat spreaders and design. they still have lifetime warranty, so they should be good.

5 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

500W should be sufficient?

yes. 450W would be enough as well.

5 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

What is your opinion about GTX instead of RTX? Again been awhile so not sure what is better....

I don't care for raytracing and I wouldn't recommend a RTX board if there was a gtx board of similar performance. unfortunately, only the older 180 and 1080ti match up with the RTX series, and they are difficult to find and expensive, even the used ones.

3 minutes ago, JM21 said:

Welcome to the forum!

Just skimmed your post, but I get what you are going for.

This is my recommendation:

Good choice on the CPU, phenomenal performance and value.

I'd stick to the stock cooler for now, since you don't plan to OC. 

Much better motherboard in terms of VRM cooling.

Ryzen LOVES fast dual channel RAM, this G.skill kit is 3600MHz and CL16.

Better NVME drive in terms of $/GB value, functionally just as good at the 970 Evo.

I'd recommend the RX 5700XT in terms of value it is cheaper/similar price to the RTX 2060S but is nearly the equal to the 2070S in performance. Navi driver issues are no longer a problem, and for the money nothing will be better for your 1440p UW display.

Case is my recommendation as it is good value, good airflow, TG, and very compact for a mATX mini tower, I recently moved one of my systems in the this case, not great for cable management, but otherwise it is great. Feel free to look HERE. Between the cases you are looking at I would get the Corsair Crystal 280X, NZXT cases are overrated, bad airflow. 

PSU, could go for lesser, like the Be Quiet Pure Power 11 600W for $90, but the TXm is better quality and a good deal right now, up to you.

And some extra fans that will be needed for intake.

JM21 thank you for your input. Let me digest it.

Question about ASRock. Are they reliable? Like I said I've been on Gigabyte forever and never had any issues with it. Been solid. Can you elaborate why this mobo?

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

msi have the best b450 boards and the worst x570, while asus and gigabyte have the best x570 and the worst b450.

Anything supporting this? Very interesting...

1 minute ago, bdk74 said:

Anything supporting this? Very interesting...

it's based on power delivery and thermals. there are numerous reviews online and a motherboard tier list on this forum(see my signature) with all the research and sources and reasons behind it.

Motherboard tier list (AMD)  

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

it's based on power delivery and thermals. there are numerous reviews online and a motherboard tier list on this forum(see my signature) with all the research and sources and reasons behind it.

Motherboard tier list (AMD)  

Awesome thanks. Let me dig in.....

Just now, bdk74 said:

JM21 thank you for your input. Let me digest it.

Question about ASRock. Are they reliable? Like I said I've been on Gigabyte forever and never had any issues with it. Been solid. Can you elaborate why this mobo?

Asrock is solid, I have really only owned Asus motherboards, but the Steel Legend motherboards have much better VRM cooling which for longevity sake (as well as headroom for a potential future upgrade) is a better choice. The VRM cooling is evidently better when you look at the motherboard versus the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M you were looking at, plus it is cheaper at the moment. The other alternative I would suggest, is some of the MSI motherboards. They have solid B450 motherboards, not so much on X570 though. 

AMD Motherboard Tier List  GPU Cooling Tier List  PSU Tier List  A Dive Into Custom Keyboards & Mechanical Switches

NEWCOMERS Remember to ' Reply ' to comments in order for people to see them, this is done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

Blueberry Pi  R9 3950X  Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 4x16GB 3200MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB  EVGA P2 850W w/ Blue Sleeved Cables  Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue)  2x Corsair Force MP510 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Corsair ML Pro Blue LED Fans  Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower  

Asus ROG SWIFT PG348Q 100Hz IPS G-Sync UW  Dell UltraSharp U3419W 60Hz IPS UW  Custom TOFU96  Corsair Scimitar Pro RGB 

Work Rig  ThreadRipper 3970X  Asus Prime TRX40 Pro ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 8x32GB 3200Mhz CL16  Nvidia Quadro RTX 6000 24GB  Corsair HXi 1000W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO  8x Sabrent Rocket 2TB w/ 2x Asus Hyper m.2 V2   Arctic P12 Fans  Phanteks P400A ATX Mid Tower 

Plotting Machine 1  ThreadRipper 2990WX  AsRock X399 Taichi ATX  Kingston HyperX Fury 8x16GB 2666Mhz CL18   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RMx 850W  EVGA CLC 360 AIO ‖ 2x Sabrent Rocket 2TB & 2x Sabrent Rocket 4TB w/ Asus Hyper m.2 V2  Arctic P12 Fans  Rosewill RSV-L4500 4U  5x Dell DS60 60-bay JBOD w/ 1.2PB of HDD Storage  HP 22U Half Rack

Plotting Machine 2  R9 3950X  Asus TUF X570-Plus Wi-Fi ATX  G.Skill RipjawsV 4x16GB 3200Mhz CL16   Nvidia Quadro K600 1GB  Corsair RM 650W  Noctua NH-D15s Chormax ‖ 4x Corsair MP600 Force 1TB W/ Asus Hyper m.2 Gen4  Arctic P14 & P12 Fans  Silverstone FARA R1 ATX Mid Tower

J.A.R.V.I.S.  R9 3900XT  Asus B550-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16  EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 iCX 8GB  Corsair SF 750W Platinum  Corsair H100i Pro AIO  Noctua NF-A12x15 Chromax Fans  FormD T1 SFF ITX Case  

LG 75UM8070PUA 4K UHD 120Hz IPS HDR TV  Corsair K63 Cherry MX Red Special Edition Wireless  Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless

Archive Server  R3 2200G  Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Wi-Fi ITX  Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16 White  Vega Integrated Graphics  EVGA P2 750W  Prism Wraith Cooler  ITX Open Bench  2x HP SAS Expander  LSI-SAS9211  220TB of HDD Storage

SFF ITX Home PC  i5-7500  MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX  G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz  Intel Integrated Graphics  Seasonic SSP Flex ATX 300W PSU  Cryorig C7  Velka 3 rev 1.2 SFF ITX Case (Grey)  

Laptop  Dell XPS13 2-in-1 7390 (2020)  i7-1065G7  32GB 3733MHz LPDDR4x  Intel Integrated Graphics  1TB NVME M.2  UHD+ (3840 x 2400) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Keyboard Collection  GMMK Full Size  TOFU96 90%  ‖ KBD8x MKII TKL ‖ Drop CTRL High Profile TKL ‖ KBD Bella 75% ‖ GMMK Pro 75% ‖ XD84 Pro 75%  KBD67 V2 MKII 65%  KBD67Lite 65%  TOFU65 65%  KBD Blade 60%  Drop Carina 60%  Southpaw75 60% w/ Left Numpad  OLKB Preonic V3 Ortholinear ‖ CosPad XD24  ‖ KBDPad MKII

Key Cap Collection  GMK Boba Fett  GMK Red Samurai  GMK Laser CyberDeck +Novalties  GMK Arch  MaxKey B&W  Drop MT3 Camillo ‖ Matt3o MT3 /dev/tty  KBDfans Biip Torii Ext-2048  ePBT Less But Better +Novalties  EnjoyPBT Dolch  WinMix Mustard  Drop Skylight Horizon & Slate ‖ Glorious Black Aura   

Mechanical Key Switch Collection  Zealios V2 65g  Zealios V2 78g ‖ Zilents V2 67g  Tealios V2 67g  C³ Kiwi ‖ C³ Tangerine  Invyr Holy Panda  Durock T1 67g  Kailh Box Thick Jades ‖ Kailh Box Royal ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Dark Yellow ‖ Kailh Box Heavy Burnt Orange  Kailh Box White  Kailh Box Red  Kailh Pro Purple  Kailh Pro Burgandy  Gateron Ink Black V2  Gateron Black  Gateron Yellow  Gateron Brown  Gateron Green  Gateron Blue ‖ Cherry MX Black ‖ Cherry MX Brown ‖ Cherry MX Red

3 hours ago, JM21 said:

Asrock is solid, I have really only owned Asus motherboards, but the Steel Legend motherboards have much better VRM cooling which for longevity sake (as well as headroom for a potential future upgrade) is a better choice. The VRM cooling is evidently better when you look at the motherboard versus the Gigabyte B450 AORUS M you were looking at, plus it is cheaper at the moment. The other alternative I would suggest, is some of the MSI motherboards. They have solid B450 motherboards, not so much on X570 though. 

jm21 so the ASRock B450M Pro4 would also be in the same tier as msi but highlighted in blue (tier D) - correct?

lastly is it really worth going xt?

2 hours ago, bdk74 said:

jm21 so the ASRock B450M Pro4 would also be in the same tier as msi but highlighted in blue (tier D) - correct?

Yeah, the list is good guide, a bit arbitrary but I would still go for the Steel Legend, others have rated it higher.

40 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

lastly is it really worth going xt?

Really up to you the RX 5700 is also very good, for 1440p I would get the RX 5700XT personally, but only get what you can afford. 

My Builds:

MEGA Desk Build

8 hours ago, bdk74 said:

Hello,

I've been out of the game with hardware for quite some time now thus asking for the advise.  Looking for best build for the $ to replace my good old 3770K. Thank you in advance for your input.

Long story short:

Since the beginning I've been with Intel but for this build I think I want to go team red (not only because performance wise they got better but $ also).

Budget is tight so I'm trying to squeeze most of out the buck. I don't really care much about i.e: 5 degrees Celsius difference or minor FPS improvement.  Performance to $ ratio (ROI)  needs to be there. But if I would have to give you the number we are looking $900 +-

Would like to reduce noise to the minimum since I'm planing to place the case on the table.

Currently using 34 inch LG monitor (3440x1440) just fyi.

Not really interested in OCing anymore and not interested much in RGB theme.

Use for this build is a mix of:

- "light" gaming i.e: csgo, gta5, witcher bf4 - nothing crazy

- work mostly email, ssh, visio, slack etc.. so nothing intense

- 1080/4K drone footage editing as a hobby(powerDirector) - I've done 4K footage editing on my current setup and I didn't really complain but thought I'll mention it.

That being said rough total so far: $608‬ (without GPU)?!

Trying to see how can this be optimized and of course your opinion matters!

Constructive criticism is welcomed.

I would actually go with a rx 5700 and flash the bios if you want to into a rx 5700 xt 

i would also get a kit of 8x2gb-3600 cas latency 16 

Ram link: https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232880?Description=gskill ripjaws&cm_re=gskill_ripjaws-_-20-232-880-_-Product&quicklink=true 

Gpu Link Rx5700 or get a 5700xt thicc: https://www.newegg.com/powercolor-radeon-rx-5700-axrx-5700-8gbd6-3dhe-oc/p/N82E16814131750?Item=N82E16814131750&Description=RX 5700&cm_re=RX_5700-_-14-131-750-_-Product as the Thic is about a $10 price dif so i mean if you dont want to flash a gpu rx5700xt thicc: https://www.newegg.com/p/27N-0002-000T2?Item=9SIAD2CB6M6892&Description=RX 5700&cm_re=RX_5700-_-9SIAD2CB6M6892-_-Product

14 hours ago, JM21 said:

I would still go for the Steel Legend, others have rated it higher.

I've seen multiple people complaining about its software and hot it locks the pc. See even though it "looks" cool and it comes with RGB based on the i.e reviews from newegg we can conclude that pro4 is 100x more popular that needs to speak for something - wouldn't you agree?

15 hours ago, justino said:

i would also get a kit of 8x2gb-3600 cas latency 16 

Everybody keeps telling me to go with 3600 - which is OCing correct? I heard 3000 is the sweet spot for 3600...

Would somebody be able to tell me what is actual "real life" difference i.e between 2400 vs 3200 vs 3600? Because I don't care about synthetic benchmarks and few points more - its not something you'll ever notice - please correct me if I'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

I've seen multiple people complaining about its software and hot it locks the pc. See even though it "looks" cool and it comes with RGB based on the i.e reviews from newegg we can conclude that pro4 is 100x more popular that needs to speak for something - wouldn't you agree?

Pro4 is way more popular because Steel Legend is fairly recent SKU, a few months or so or maybe half a year already. No idea about it's software but if OP doesn't care about RGB they may just leave it on defaults without installing software, or maybe it's configurable through UEFI\BIOS.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

1 hour ago, Juular said:

Pro4 is way more popular because Steel Legend is fairly recent SKU

And we know how it is with something new on the market (rev1) :). 

Can you reiterate on the pros for Steel Legend again i.e over Pro4?

6 minutes ago, bdk74 said:

Can you reiterate on the pros for Steel Legend again i.e over Pro4?

One bundled SSD heatsink, 5-channel audio with optical, possibly slightly better VRM, RGB sync support, neither of this really that important tho.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wmsTYK9Z3-jUX5LGRoFnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

OK my update to the build:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($83.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card  ($363.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: be quiet! SilentWings 3 PWM 50.5 CFM 120 mm Fan
Custom: Sleeved Cables PSU Extension Cable Kit with 30CM Sleeved Extension Cable with Combs for ATX Power Supply
Total: $992.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-29 18:39 EDT-0400

8 hours ago, bdk74 said:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 8 GB RED DRAGON Video Card  ($363.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($94.99 @ B&H)
Custom: Sleeved Cables PSU Extension Cable Kit with 30CM Sleeved Extension Cable with Combs for ATX Power Supply

Everything looks good! 

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

9 hours ago, bdk74 said:

PCPartPicker Part List

VGA: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nd9tt6/msi-radeon-rx-5700-8-gb-gaming-x-video-card-radeon-rx-5700-gaming-x

better cooled, better PCB. 

Life is really challenging. I don't always suceed: )