2 hdd failures and cant reinstall windows

Tim613

so to begin with my issue i changed the storage location of nvidia experience recordings to go to one my 4tb hdd's and my pc started acting funny and froze. I rebooted my computer and took way longer to start up, logged in and then my hdd was gone from my list. went into disk manager and it was showing it was offline. tried to make it come back online with no successful attempts. at that point my computer takes a long time to shut down and start up. a day later i lose my 2nd 4tb hdd for no reason. i cant get both of them online now. so i figure ill just do a clean install of windows on my nvme to hope clean up whatever is causing this. i have tried to install it with the removable media and everytime ive installed windows i get a blue screen and tells me i need to reinstall windows on my pc. ive also had to use cmd prompt to clean my nvme and set ti to gpt as well because i was getting and error for that and now my usb drive got messed up so now im  reformatting it and going to install a new media tool to it to see if that fixes it. ive never had this serious of a problem before and i cant really think what could of messed it up. its making me think all my drives a failing and ill prob need new hdd's.

Did you disconnect those HDDs before attempting the reinstall?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you disconnect those HDDs before attempting the reinstall?

not at first but i disconnected them today and tried to reinstall with the same issue of windows getting a blue screen. im in the process of reformatting my usb drive through cmd prompt and reinstalling windows on it. it wouldnt let me format it the easy way.

What PSU?

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Tristerin said:

What PSU?

corsair hx1200i

7 minutes ago, Tim613 said:

new hdd's.

Start with the basics.

Reset BIOS back to default. This means no OCing, no XMP, etc.

Ensure your USB stick has a known, good, ISO of WIn10 on it (that's important)

Unplug and unpower everything not required for botting, basically, only your boot drive, GPU, 1 stick of RAM.

When installing Windows, use the standard NTFS format.

See what happens, report back.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Start with the basics.

Reset BIOS back to default. This means no OCing, no XMP, etc.

Ensure your USB stick has a known, good, ISO of WIn10 on it (that's important)

Unplug and unpower everything not required for botting, basically, only your boot drive, GPU, 1 stick of RAM.

When installing Windows, use the standard NTFS format.

See what happens, report back.

So I’ve done that and I’m getting the error for gpt still on my nvme

109BDE95-4531-4193-AE20-2B0EC36DD1F1.jpeg

0645C502-24C1-4357-A11B-7B81AA293655.jpeg

83D7E1D2-2EA7-4E54-AA1B-4BD08CD6CA24.jpeg

1 hour ago, Tim613 said:

So I’ve done that and I’m getting the error for gpt still on my nvme

Does your BIOS offer the option to use Legacy, rather than EFI?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

23 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does your BIOS offer the option to use Legacy, rather than EFI?

Yes it does have that option, I’ve been using efi 

I do legacy and install windows and re boot on my nvme and get blue screen 

A9F8B953-0589-4AAA-A729-DF8F1100BE11.jpeg

Can you format the drive before installation to GPT? This should be a option in the other pic you included (Delete the partition and format as GPT). You can boot Windows PE or something similar and format the drive also. 

7 hours ago, Tim613 said:

I do legacy and install windows and re boot on my nvme and get blue screen

Yes, you are going to get that, as Windows is expecting efi format.

Just erase the SSD, don't format it, let Windows decide formats when you go to re-install

so I couldnt get it to work still with even with disabling my lan in the bios, apparently that blue screen is from having lan or wifi enabled. I ended up throwing in my extra asus board vs the msi one i had in there and i was able to get it up and running and installed. Also my pump died on my Corsair h115i  for the second time, threw in my trusty evga one and worked fine. next im going to clear my two hard drives from the bios to hopefully be able to salvage them again and make some more partitions in them.