Your favourite euphemism for coronavirus?

WereCatf
9 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Side note, there are terms other than "racist" that you can use when something is culturally insensitive. The more you use the term "racist" on things that are not actually racist, the more you dilute the term and minimize the perceived severity of actual racism.

Diluting with round-about terminology won't change the core sense of it.

Exactly in the same way as almost all white americans would/used to call native americans "Hey! Cochise!" when they'd want to talk to them to get their attention. If that is not racist and deragotary, then I don't know what is.

Excuse the poor stranger (as actual foreigner writing in an foreign language) to call a cat "cat". ^o^

And I'm out of this thread now 🙂

edited to precise some intended meaning

Edited by Guest

2 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Exactly in the same way as almost all white americans would call native americans "Hey! Cochise!" when they'd want to talk to them to get their attention. If that is not racist and deragotary, then I don't know what is.

Excellent - we have an example of stereotyping in this thread at least :)

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Tristerin said:

Image result for meme picard

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Not even a bad example at that!

We are kinda veering off-topic here, but constructive talk about what constitutes stereotyping shouldn't hurt anyone, so I don't even mind.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Not even a bad example at that! I, for one, wasn't aware of this Cochise-thing, so I just learned something new here.

We are kinda veering off-topic here, but constructive talk about what constitutes stereotyping shouldn't hurt anyone, so I don't even mind.

Yeah I had to look up Cochise as I wasn't historically aware of all of his exploits.  

3 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

Responding with a meme after giving such a great example of stereotyping makes me even more confused.  Well, Id rather be confused then offended at either rate.

EDIT - haha you edited your post.  At least I got it captured first.  

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

8 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

This is the most Boomer response possible. Sick meme from over a decade ago.

I also like that you added a caveat, but it doesn't fix the problem that your response is still a racial stereotype at the expense of "almost all white Americans," and you still have the audacity to say that someone else is failing.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

Yeah I had to look up Cochise as I wasn't historically aware of all of his exploits.  

Responding with a meme after giving such a great example of stereotyping makes me even more confused.  Well, Id rather be confused then offended at either rate.

EDIT - haha you edited your post.  At least I got it captured first.  

In all this post I don't know which one is worse... 🙂

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

This is the most Boomer response possible. Sick meme from over a decade ago.

I also like that you added a caveat, but it doesn't fix the problem that your response is still a racial stereotype at the expense of "almost all white Americans," but you still have the audacity to say that someone else is failing.

🤣

If you don't understand the whole irony of it, I can't help you... 🤷‍♀️

5 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

🤣

If you don't understand the whole irony of it, I can't help you... 🤷‍♀️

Ditto, I guess? You seem to be acting like saying "almost all white people are racist" is not, itself, a racial stereotype. In essence, that is what you said.

It's probably not even true. While there's no statistic on what percentage of Americans used "Cochise," I know for a fact that saying "Indian" or "native American" is extremely common.

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

34 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

I've yet to see Chinese people offended by these. Just white folks.

There are a lot of problems with Trump insisting on the term "Chinese virus," basically always using it with a negative connotation and a blaming demeanor. But I think it's demeaning that you assume Chinese people can't tell when someone is joking when they say "Kung flu" and wouldn't be able to handle that. I'll stop saying it when I say it to a Chinese person and they tell me they're offended, which has yet to happen.

If anything, satirical use of these stereotypes can be a beneficial thing, because of the aggressive tone against China coming from the white house. A less serious nickname of the virus would have a much more friendly appeal.

I refer to it as the Wuhan Virus.

Its not racist at all to even say "Chinese Virus". Its came from China. Just like when we talk about the "Spanish Flu".

Nobody is blaming Chinese people for any of this. Only an absolute idiot would look at a asian person born and raised in texas and think it has anything to do with the virus. And i refuse to cater to dumb people.

The blame is on Chinas government. Not the people of the race. And theres nothing wrong with pointing out wjos to blame. This is like the third time China has caused this kind of issue.

5 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

Nobody is blaming Chinese people for any of this

Now that's definitely not true

https://youtu.be/c09m5f7Gnic?t=967

I can't find the clip in isolation so here's the segment from last week tonight. A news anchor literally says that China is not part of the civilized world, and there's definitely animosity against the Chinese people from a portion of Americans. People have suggested that eating at Chinese restaurants is no longer safe because the workers or food is contaminated, which is not any more true of them than non-chinese restaurants.

5 minutes ago, RonnieOP said:

And theres nothing wrong with pointing out wjos to blame

I think the stipulation would have to be "Chinese government virus" but then that's a whole mouthful. The term "Chinese virus" really isn't an apt term, and since it's not even funny like "Kung flu" and therefore has no levity, it's not particularly useful for referring to it anyway. 

Primary PC:

20 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

EDIT - haha you edited your post.  At least I got it captured first

Yeah, I felt like I should check out the whole Cochise-thing before I go and say anything about it, so as not to throw any more gasoline on the fire.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

12 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Ditto, I guess? You seem to be acting like saying "almost all white people are racist" is not, itself, a racial stereotype. In essence, that is what you said.

I will repeat myself again slowly:

If     you      don't      understand      the      whole      irony      of      it,      I      can't      help      you... 🤷‍♀️

^o^

3 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

Now that's definitely not true

https://youtu.be/c09m5f7Gnic?t=967

I can't find the clip in isolation so here's the segment from last week tonight. A news anchor literally says that China is not part of the civilized world, and there's definitely animosity against the Chinese people from a portion of Americans. People have suggested that eating at Chinese restaurants is no longer safe because the workers or food is contaminated, which is not any more true of them than non-chinese restaurants.

I think the stipulation would have to be "Chinese government virus" but then that's a whole mouthful. The term "Chinese virus" really isn't an apt term, and since it's not even funny like "Kung flu" and therefore has no levity, it's not particularly useful for referring to it anyway. 

Your always going to have idiots out there. You have people so dumb they think corona virus has something to do with the beer. Like i said. I refuse to cater to stupid people. 

Its a virus that originated from china. Calling it a Chinese virus is not racist. Its literally no different then the Spanish Flu. We just live in a time where idiots want to be offended. They feel empowered by being offended. 

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

haha you edited your post.

I only added "used to" and put it in bold... It's not as I totally rewrote it... *sigh*

Just now, RonnieOP said:

You have people so dumb they think corona virus has something to do with the beer.

Ah, that reminds me: I like to call it the Budweiser-virus myself 😃

Just now, WereCatf said:

Ah, that reminds me: I like to call it the Budweiser-virus myself 😃

Ive told people that im not worried about corona because that pbr virus is the real killer lol.

1 minute ago, Cora_Lie said:

I only added "used to" and put it in bold... It's not as I totally rewrote it... *sigh*

Just to point out, you quoted the wrong person.

9 minutes ago, Cora_Lie said:

I don't think you go around being stereotypical   (EDIT - I meant going around stereotyping people).   I think you were seeking to give an example - while that may be the case, it was poorly timed and worded when you are picking sides in this debate - HOWEVER shows exactly what stereotyping is.  And how EASILY IT CAN BE MISCONSTRUED.

Perfect example, in this thread, if I say so myself.

EDIT - Kung Flu isn't a stereotype.  But its being poorly misconstrued as one.

8 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

I don't think you go around being stereotypical   (EDIT - I meant going around stereotyping people).   I think you were seeking to give an example - while that may be the case, it was poorly timed and worded when you are picking sides in this debate - HOWEVER shows exactly what stereotyping is.  And how EASILY IT CAN BE MISCONSTRUED.

Perfect example, in this thread, if I say so myself.

EDIT - Kung Flu isn't a stereotype.  But its being poorly misconstrued as one.

As usual, you misjudge me!  🤣

Just now, Cora_Lie said:

As usual, you misjudge me!  🤣

Easily done when the modicum of communication available is text - but that would mean, using the English language we are communing with over text - based on your response just now that you actually do go around stereotyping people.  In that case, you make zero sense to me and your chosen position.  

Or maybe Im assuming English is your first language and...well, that may be the issue then.

6 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Biological warfare gone sideways

Releasing it own country for proxy war attack and claim your citizens did it iq100?

as for kung flu things, i'm not offended by it but i know some people are

here are mine:

-the 2nd spanish flu

-spanish flu 2.0

-korona virus (when used in text)

-keronavirus (also when used in text)

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh