AMD 3960x crazy temperatures!

Hi guys,

Please help me out. I've got a Threadripper 3960x cooled with Corsair H115i Platinum RGB and while on heavy load temperatures reach 88C and 93C with PBO turned on (max temp according to AMD is 95C; CPU doesn't switch off after reaching that level). By heavy load I mean 3D rendering using Arnold (CPU-based renderer). Idle temps are oscillating around 60C. Is that normal? I am not sure whether I'm experiencing throttling. All cores work steadily around 3.8-3.9GHz and render times per frame are stable as well. I guess that means no throttling? 

All drivers, including chipset drivers, are up to date as well as Windows is where it should be too. Here is the complete spec and let me know if you need more info.

AMD Threadripper 3960x 

Corsair H115i Platinum

Aorus TRX40 Xtreme

Corsair CMK64GX4M4C3200C16

Corsair 680X

GeForce RTX 2080Ti

Samsung Evo Pro m2 1TB

Segate HDD 4TB 5400 RPM 

Windows 10 Pro 64

Shall I consider switching to a bigger cooler like Wraith Ripper? Shall I invest in better cooling paste? Shall I not worry at all?

Thanks a lot,

Bart

Just turn off PBO? I dont think it will even do anything when temperature is this high.

and yes, the small cooling plate size is hurting cooling.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

The H115i is kind of ok stock, but w/ PBO I strongly recommend against it. Asetek cold plates are not properly designed for use with Threadripper. Especially not overclocked.

Edit: Also Wraith Ripper is a poor cooler.

Something like the Dark Rock TR4 or ARCTIC Freezer 50 TR would be better.

The only AIOs that were really up to the task performance wise for these chips were the Enermax, but since they gunk up and fail after a few months it leaves you with one of the big boy air coolers meant for TR4 (or a custom loop).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

The only AIOs that were really up to the task performance wise for these chips were the Enermax, but since they gunk up and fail after a few months it leaves you with one of the big boy air coolers meant for TR4 (or a custom loop).

You also have this one https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml360-rgb-tr4/  which I have on my 2950X, but it's nowhere to be found, sadly.

53 minutes ago, bartmazur said:

Hi guys,

1. Threadripper 3960x  heavy load temperatures reach 88C and 93C with PBO turned on
  2. (max temp according to AMD is 95C; CPU doesn't switch off after reaching that level). 
  3. Idle temps are oscillating around 60C. Is that normal?
  4. I am not sure whether I'm experiencing throttling.  All cores work steadily around 3.8-3.9GHz and render times per frame are stable as well.
  5. Shall I consider switching to a bigger cooler like Wraith Ripper?
  6. Shall I invest in better cooling paste? Shall I not worry at all?

Thanks a lot,

Bart

1. 93c with PBO on isn't a shock.
  2. Cpu is meant to throttle at 95c, Thermtrip (board shuts off) is about 15c higher. 
  3. 60c idle would be expected on a static boosting clock with higher voltage yes.
  4. In a sense it is throttling the all core boosts due to high temps, but won't drop lower until 96c
  5. Yes get a bigger cooler. I'd suggest perhaps more of a custom loop vs All in One liquid poopers.
  6. Better thermal paste, We don't know what you currently use to properly suggest anything here.

Sorry I cleaned up the quoted post for better concentration.

17 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

1. 93c with PBO on isn't a shock.
  2. Cpu is meant to throttle at 95c, Thermtrip (board shuts off) is about 15c higher. 
  3. 60c idle would be expected on a static boosting clock with higher voltage yes.
  4. In a sense it is throttling the all core boosts due to high temps, but won't drop lower until 96c
  5. Yes get a bigger cooler. I'd suggest perhaps more of a custom loop vs All in One liquid poopers.
  6. Better thermal paste, We don't know what you currently use to properly suggest anything here.

Sorry I cleaned up the quoted post for better concentration.

Thanks ShrimpBrime! 

6. H115i came with thermal paste applied already on the plate.

5. Would an air cooler with huge plate covering the whole chip be a better solution?

1. Would you say constant, long hours rendering without PBO could damage CPU?

1 hour ago, bartmazur said:

Thanks ShrimpBrime! 

5. Would an air cooler with huge plate covering the whole chip be a better solution?

Any cooler with a corresponding cold plate meant for threadripper will perform better since the heat will the dispersed thoroughly, I would suggest a high end dual tower air cooler. For now, I'd suggest turning off pbo until you get a new cooler that's better designed for threadripper 

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

did you use thermal paste? or you left it with the stuff that's on it out of the box? because its a smaller surface than the lid it creates issues (consider buying a noctua air cooler designed for threadripper if that's possible)

What you could try incase you didnt already is to clean the lid and the head of that thin out of the box paste and apply a little more generous portion (like in an X shape) of a reputable thermal-paste brand so that the paste will cover the entire surface area of your head.

If that doesn't help much then you probably need a more appropriate cooler.

6 hours ago, bartmazur said:

Thanks ShrimpBrime! 

Here's some data from a trusted source.

I also have every generation of TR. An Asetek AIO is not going to cut it w/ PBO on.

I'd say def. turn off PBO. Even if you get one of these air coolers, it might not be a good idea to turn it on.

Dialing in a solid all-core OC at the lowest possible voltage may be better for you.

Have you benchmarked your workload with PBO on vs. off?

Even w/ PBO on, you're going to get chopped down based on temps anyway.

I was able to get better performance and temps w/ 4.1GHz all-core + manual voltage than PBO effectively running between 3.9-4.1 all-core in the same time frame. (on my 3970X)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey so i have a corsair 115i on my 3960x also, a couple pieces of advice: there is very little overclock/thermal headroom on a 280 mm radiator for this chip. My biggest gain was to buy nice thermal paste and do the credit card spread method all over the cpu to get excellent thermal contact with all of the cores. there are 4 clusters of them you can find their placement on google-- search for a delidded one. The other thing is watch Llc and pbo, i dont use Llc, let the voltage droop into your stable voltage just raise vcore a click amd retest if you BSOD or fail stress tests etc...seems to keep idle and load temps lower on my 3960. Even after all of that at stock 3.8 it idles at 39c and under prime95 load will hit low 70s. 4.3ghz is the biggest oc i can achieve on that cooler before a hard thermal wall. So i dont need to OC my 3960 this cooler is ok for me now that ive messed with it, but if you need pbo ( which is an extra clock speed and/or smart llc type of thing) a bigger better cooling solution is a must. Good luck hope you figure it out! 😀

Edited by madclocker
cant type on my phone 😆

• 6 months later...

I have my System on a an open water loop with the EK water block with the water flowing through one 360 TT rad (45mm) and then through a 480 rad (45mm) with 8 TT Ring Plus Trio on a push/pull on the 480 and 3 TT Ring Trios on the 360 rad. My idle temps are between 28C and 39C with lots of Chrome windows open and Premier Pro and LR Classic open in the background. Under heavy editing loads I've never seen it go over the low 70's w/ fairly aggressive fan speeds. I've lost a portion of my hearing over the years so fan noise has never been a problem! Unfortunately, my wife can hear a feather hit the floor, so she might disagree...😄

IMG_20200330_113154_986.jpg

I don't think that AIO can handle a CPU like that. You shall go with a custom loop.

On 3/21/2020 at 7:54 PM, TheDankKoosh said:

Any cooler with a corresponding cold plate meant for threadripper will perform better since the heat will the dispersed thoroughly, I would suggest a high end dual tower air cooler. For now, I'd suggest turning off pbo until you get a new cooler that's better designed for threadripper 

Noctua NH-U14S TR4(single tower) performs better than dual tower like the Darkrock Pro 4 TR4 because how the heatpipes are orientated and the position of the chiplets on TRX4. On the older TR4 the big dual tower cooler would be just fine.

32 minutes ago, RTX 3069 said:

I don't think that AIO can handle a CPU like that. You shall go with a custom loop.

A 240mm radiator is enough to keep a RTX 3090 under 50C. I don't think 3960x even under PBO will draw a lot more power than a RTX3090. I would say a 360mm radiator is plenty for 3960x. An AIO with a proper sized cold plate will get the job done.