Are original Game Boys worth anything?

GamerBlake

Hey guys!

This post is not an attempt to sell anything:

So I’ll be moving next week and while packing things up I found my old OG Game Boy that I used to play Pokémon Red & Blue on as a kid. The old gray ones that didn’t have color.

Does anyone know if these are worth selling? Mine still works fine (I played some Tetris on it when I found it!) with only a little scratch on the top left of the screen.

If anyone knows about this kind of stuff I’d appreciate your input.

Thanks!

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

9 minutes ago, GamerBlake said:

Hey guys!

This post is not an attempt to sell anything:

So I’ll be moving next week and while packing things up I found my old OG Game Boy that I used to play Pokémon Red & Blue on as a kid. The old gray ones that didn’t have color.

Does anyone know if these are worth selling? Mine still works fine (I played some Tetris on it when I found it!) with only a little scratch on the top left of the screen.

If anyone knows about this kind of stuff I’d appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Looks like an OG GameBoy in decent shape, with the lens cover still there is worth around 30 USD.

Depending on the games, they could be worth something between a couple dollars, to a couple 10's of dollars (like Pokemon is still worth a bit).

The issue with the GameBoys is that they are really only worth it as collectors pieces, as for actually playing the games, there are much better solutions.

As you said, the screen doesn't have color (well it's like green-ish yellow + black), but it also has quite a bit of ghosting and no backlight too. Plus it takes 4 AA batteries.

The GameBoy Color does everything an OG GameBoy does, but better and the GameBoy Advance consoles do even better. Plus the GBA SP has a front/backlight too. 

Those are the more desirable consoles.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

An original GB in very good shape can sell for just about as much as it cost back then, around $70-100. There are quite a few people who want to collect them. They weren't as good as the later models, but they were the OG. 

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

39 minutes ago, minibois said:

Looks like an OG GameBoy in decent shape, with the lens cover still there is worth around 30 USD.

Depending on the games, they could be worth something between a couple dollars, to a couple 10's of dollars (like Pokemon is still worth a bit).

The issue with the GameBoys is that they are really only worth it as collectors pieces, as for actually playing the games, there are much better solutions.

As you said, the screen doesn't have color (well it's like green-ish yellow + black), but it also has quite a bit of ghosting and no backlight too. Plus it takes 4 AA batteries.

The GameBoy Color does everything an OG GameBoy does, but better and the GameBoy Advance consoles do even better. Plus the GBA SP has a front/backlight too. 

Those are the more desirable consoles.

I actually have a purple Game Boy color too! Do you know if they’re worth more than OG GB?

CPU: i7 8700K (5.1 GHz OC). AIO: EVGA CLC 280 280mmGPUEVGA XC2 Ultra 2080Ti. PSU: Corsair RM850x 850W 80+ Gold Fully Modular. MB: MSI MEG Z390 ACE. RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB (3600 MHz OC). STORAGE: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe, 2TB Samsung 860 EVO, 1TB Samsung 860 Evo, 1TB Samsung 860 QVO, 2TB Firecuda 7200rpm SSHD, 1TB WD Blue. CASE: NZXT H510 Elite. FANS: Corsair LL120 RGB 120mm x4. MONITOR: MSI Optix MAG271CQR 2560x1440 144hz. Headset: Steelseries Arctis 5 Gaming Headset. Keyboard: Razer Cynosa Chroma. Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate (Wireless) Webcam: Logitech C922x Pro Stream Webcam.

25 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

An original GB in very good shape can sell for just about as much as it cost back then, around $70-100. There are quite a few people who want to collect them. They weren't as good as the later models, but they were the OG. 

Oh wow! Well $70-$100 is definitely worth selling! Heck anything over $15 is worth it IMO. 😂 

On 3/15/2020 at 11:06 AM, GamerBlake said:

I actually have a purple Game Boy color too! Do you know if they’re worth more than OG GB?

In my experience they are worth a bit more, especially since backlit screen are more available now.

The main six colors of the GBC are worth about the same as far as I have seen. Around 30-50 USD, assuming you have the back battery cover.

Keep in mind there were two 'purple' GameBoy Colors, so if you want people to find your listing as easy as possible, be sure to call it by its right name.

The translucent purple model was called 'Atomic Purple', while the non-translucent one was called 'Grape'.

You aren't from Europe, are you? :^) I am kind of looking for a Grape GBC.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

5 hours ago, minibois said:

In my experience they are worth a bit more, especially since backlit screen are more available now.

The main six colors of the GBC are worth about the same as far as I have seen. Around 30-50 USD, assuming you have the back battery cover.

Keep in mind there were two 'purple' GameBoy Colors, so if you want people to find your listing as easy as possible, be sure to call it by its right name.

The translucent purple model was called 'Atomic Purple', while the non-translucent one was called 'Grape'.

You aren't from Europe, are you? :^) I am kind of looking for a Grape GBC.

Nah I’m from the USA. What do you mean by “back cover”? 🤔 

These are what I have. They turn on and work but I just don’t have any games to put in them at the moment as they’re packed into moving boxes since I’m moving next week.

Not sure if it’s the purple you’re looking for?

FC54A3E7-6FD9-4D81-9AD6-A368E1FDCF59.jpeg

83461D42-775B-4430-ACE2-BA408E770BDF.jpeg