How should i choose my monitor?

Hi Guys, I'm kind of hesitating which gaming monitor i should choose.

There are 4 factors that i wish my monitor have:

1. More than or equals to 144hz refresh rate

2. IPS Panel Type

3. 1ms

4. G-Sync

I wish that the monitor is Cheap and Good

If you are wondering what my other components are, here this is: 

Parts for desktop
CPU: Amd Ryzen 9 3900x 3.8GHz 12 Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG Ryujin 240 RGB AIO 121.8 CFM liquid CPU Cooler
GPU: MSI RTX 2080ti 11GB Gaming X Trio 
Motherboard: ASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z neo 32 GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo PLUS 1 TB NVME Solid State Drive MZ-V7S1T0B
Storage Cooler: jonsbo m.2 heatsink:
Case: NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: ???

This monitor is really good for the price: ASUS TUF Gaming VG27BQ

1 minute ago, Viper9 said:

ASUS TUF Gaming VG27BQ

It is indeed good, but the panel type is TN which has a very bad colour quality.

What is your budget?

MSI makes some pretty good monitors and some of them are G-Sync compatible.

3 minutes ago, Ozzy12 said:

MSI

They don't make IPS Panel Monitors.

7 minutes ago, Jeve Stobs said:

budget?

About SGD$800+

I have shortlisted 2 of the monitors.

1. ROG Strix XG279Q

2. LG 34GL750-B 34 inch 21: 9

Which one should i choose? In terms of everything.

Hi Guys, I have a question. Is there a big difference between 1ms and 5ms for monitors?  The monitor i shortlisted are these:

LG 34GL750-B 34 inch 21: 9 ---- 5ms (GtG at Faster), 1ms MBR

ROG Strix XG279Q ----1ms gray to gray (GtG)

Is it going to affect my performance by a lot, or is it acceptable for a 5ms monitor because i like bigger screens more. Give me your opinions, and that might change my mind and let me make a better choice!! Thank you!

•  

According to some people, it's totally unacceptable and causes horrible ghosting that ruins it

in my experience, not really that bad, although that's on a 60Hz display. On a 144Hz, could be quite a lot worse.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

unacceptable and causes horrible ghosting that ruins it

Does it crash or something bad happens? Cuz I'm not into gaming that much and just reading comics most of the time.

Just now, DarkMedic said:

Does it crash or something bad happens? Cuz I'm not into gaming that much and just reading comics most of the time.

then why are you buying such expensive and powerful gaming monitors?

it doesn't cause crashing, it causes ghosting like I said. that means images will trail.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 minutes ago, Fasauceome said:

why are you buying such expensive and powerful gaming monitors?

I'm just preparing it for the future as my friends are like into gaming and i would like to join them. And if i have a powerful monitor now, i don't need to waste more money in the future to upgrade the monitor.

Just now, DarkMedic said:

And if i have a powerful monitor now, i don't need to waste more money in the future to upgrade the monitor.

yes but good monitors in the future will probably be cheaper as 144Hz will be more common, so if you wait until you need it you can probably save money.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

in the future will probably be cheaper

But I'm currently building a quite powerful desktop and I need a good monitor to match up to the standards of my desktop.

Parts for desktop
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply: S$193.66
Monitor:??

1 minute ago, DarkMedic said:

But I'm currently building a quite powerful desktop and I need a good monitor to match up to the standards of my desktop.

what country are you buying from? Are those your only 2 options?

the strix would be better

Primary PC:

4 hours ago, DarkMedic said:

Hi Guys, I have a question. Is there a big difference between 1ms and 5ms for monitors?  The monitor i shortlisted are these:

LG 34GL750-B 34 inch 21: 9 ---- 5ms (GtG at Faster), 1ms MBR

ROG Strix XG279Q ----1ms gray to gray (GtG)

Is it going to affect my performance by a lot, or is it acceptable for a 5ms monitor because i like bigger screens more. Give me your opinions, and that might change my mind and let me make a better choice!! Thank you!

•  

In response to the title the answer is 4ms :P

Now more seriously ... the advertised specs in regards to response time should for the most part be ignored. They are hugely misleading to the point where u could grab 10 different monitors all with the same advertised response time and they would all be vastly different.

A better, though still generalized, way of determining response speed and level of blur/ghosting is to find out what panel type a display is using.

A VA panel for example WILL have blur/ghosting regardless of how fast the response time is advertised. This is because VA panel technology has issues with dark transitions which will be slower , by a big margin, than the other transitions.

While a TN will generally have a much faster response time and far less blur/ghosting.

But ofc each panel has its critical faults. and if u comparing two displays using the same panel it doesnt really help.

For accurate response time figures u need to find tested reviews, like those form rtings.com,  tftcentral.co.uk,  and pcmonitors.info

If u cant find a tested review for the monitors ur interested in then your SOL im afraid.

One easy thing i can tell u is that no IPS has a 1ms response speed ..none. Even the fastest 240hz 1080p IPS panels that have only just released are no where near 1ms. As i said, advertised response speed specs are hugely misleading.

Below is a link to one of the fastest IPS 240hz displays out, and it averages 4.1ms using a 10% to 90% measurement and a 8.4ms on a full 0% to 100% measurement.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/nitro-xv273x

Easiest analogy i can explain the above statement is if u were to measure som1 doing a 100meter sprint, u would be expect to start the stopwatch the moment the gun went of and stop it the moment the runner crossed the line, thats a 0% to 100% measurement.

A 10% to 90% measurement is if u started the stopwatch at 10meters and stopped it at 90meters.

Manufacturers like to use something similar to the 10% to 90% method, sometimes a 0% to 80%. They also cherry pick the single fastest transition, not the average of all transitions, and also use the maximum level of overdrive and ignore any overshoot. This is a totally unrealistic use case and only uses a single transition..the fastest transition. This way they are 'technically' and 'legally' telling the truth in the advertised specs, but like i said, they are hugely misleading.

So, don't go by the specs, go by trusted 'tested' reviews.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

20 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

Manufacturers like to use something similar to the 10% to 90% method, sometimes a 0% to 80%. They also cherry pick the single fastest transition, not the average of all transitions, and also use the maximum level of overdrive and ignore any overshoot. This is a totally unrealistic use case and only uses a single transition..the fastest transition. This way they are 'technically' and 'legally' telling the truth in the advertised specs, but like i said, they are hugely misleading.

So about as reliable as car manufacturer quoted MPG figures then.

1 hour ago, DarkMedic said:

I have shortlisted 2 of the monitors.

1. ROG Strix XG279Q

2. LG 34GL750-B 34 inch 21: 9

Which one should i choose? In terms of everything.

They are both G-SYNC compatible so that is a good. You can overclock the ROG Strix monitor to over 170Hz which is a great feature to have. The LG monitor is larger and has a curved display but it isn't 1440p. They both possess HDR and have an IPS display panel for wide viewing angles. The motion blur software and 95% color accuracy on the ROG Strix, in my opinion, pushes it over the edge. The LG is fine but I feel compelled by the ROG's gaming oriented engineering to recommend it for you. 

5 hours ago, Stu_Bear said:

5ms - 1ms = 4ms

I was honestly surprised that was not the first comment. I really thought I was going to have to post this my self for a moment.

8 hours ago, Fasauceome said:

what country are you buying from

Singapore

15 hours ago, DarkMedic said:

Hi Guys, I'm kind of hesitating which gaming monitor i should choose.

There are 4 factors that i wish my monitor have:

1. More than or equals to 144hz refresh rate

2. IPS Panel Type

3. 1ms

4. G-Sync

I wish that the monitor is Cheap and Good

If you are wondering what my other components are, here this is: 

Parts for desktop
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Monitor: ???

Try this one it has everything you wanted   https://www.asus.com/com-en/Monitors/ROG-SWIFT-PG27UQ/

im gonna tell you though it is quite expensive.... I’m talking more than a thousand, if your willing to spend that much.