pc keeps crashing after delidding

About a week ago i delidded my i7 9700k. While the temps went down by 14°C, the cpu seems to be unstable.

Atleast every second time i start my pc, it'll go straight to bluescreen after reaching the home screen and continues to do so until i get to windows recovery mode.

Once it's stable, games or benchmarks are no issue until the next boot.

I did not overclock the cpu after the delid, previously it was running 5ghz without any problems, now it will crash as soon as any game or benschmark is running, when overclocked.

I have tried to change the mounting pressure, which increased the stability a bit, but after a few houres of testing i was basically back where i started,

The cpu is not relided, i'm using Der8auers 9th gen oc frame, so the cooler isn't the only thing pushing it against the socked.

Would be great if anyone could help

So if I understand this right, you are doing direct die cooling correct? Have you tried putting the IHS back onto the CPU and testing to see if it works normally? If it works after you add the IHS then I think that it's probably incorrect mounting pressure.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

Hello and welcome. 

Have you tried just a bit more pressure?  Can you even add a bit more pressure?  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Reliding the cpu would be my last attempt, if nothing else helps.

For the most part adding pressure using the thumbscrews of the cooler was a close balance between creating a hotspot on the cpu and crashing during boot.

With the frame on the cpu it's alot harder to adjust by small bits.

Is it likely that pressure is the only reason for my problem? Or rather a first step befor trying anything else?

Do you guys have any tips on a "correct amount" of pressure?

1 hour ago, DasAeumel said:

Reliding the cpu would be my last attempt, if nothing else helps.

For the most part adding pressure using the thumbscrews of the cooler was a close balance between creating a hotspot on the cpu and crashing during boot.

With the frame on the cpu it's alot harder to adjust by small bits.

Is it likely that pressure is the only reason for my problem? Or rather a first step befor trying anything else?

Do you guys have any tips on a "correct amount" of pressure?

Depending on how much pressure, it's sometimes wise to use Belleville washers.

I'd start somewhere between 2 to 4 inch pounds at each screw.

The best place to do mounting testing is in the bios, not in windows. Bios will use 1 core load. You would adjust your mounting pressure while watching the temp. There will be times when one screw may be slightly tighter than another. This is a result of the TIM being pushed out more so on one side or end. 

You should re-check the mounting every 12 to 24 hours for a few days. This way you don't have one end loosen slightly from TIM pushout.