Is my PC toast?

Gandek

Had a little accident today... My brother was playing Fortnite on our gaming rig when a family member decided to clean the room with a mop including areas like around the computer where the PSU is. As soon as that mop was near it the computer shut down and rebooted. I was also in the room at the time and immediately shut it back down and turned off the PSU for 10mins just to be safe. Now when I turned it back on the first time it seemed like not everything was spinning and only the motherboard and gpu light lit up. The 2nd time I tried only the motherboard light lit up and the computer is showing no sign of life.. 

Is it toast now? *sigh*

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

I wouldn't say your PC is toast. Worst thing that I can see happening is you'll have to replace your power supply. Give it some time to sit in case it got wet. If it's not working normally by tomorrow then I would start to worry. I doubt anything other than the PSU got damaged though, so that's the first thing I would troubleshoot/replace.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

If you were worried about water, you should have left it for a lot longer than 10 minutes...

I can't see it being that damaged though. A mop shouldn't be able to soak the components that much.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

2 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you were worried about water, you should have left it for a lot longer than 10 minutes...

I can't see it being that damaged though. A mop shouldn't be able to soak the components that much.

Unless they were moping inside the damn case lol

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If the PSU pulls in Air from the bottom its very possible that it got a bit wet and a psu while running well :D Just depends on how wet the mop was ^^ 

There was a tiny bit of moisture on the cable and case that i got off. Most of it was on the floor. 

Il wait a bit more and report back 

MY RIG | Intel Core i5-4690K @4.4GHz | COOLER MASTER HYPER 212 EVO | ASUS Z97-A  | Mismatched 24GB RAM @1600MHz DDR3 | WD CAVIAR BLUE 1TB + PNY CS900 120GB | GIGABYTE AORUS RX 570 4GB | FRACTAL DESIGN FOCUS G | CORSAIR CX550M  | WINDOWS 10 | Acer GN246HL 24" 1080p 144Hz  | Glorious Model O- (Glossy White) Ducky One 2 Mini (White - Cherry MX Silent Red) MOBILE | OnePlus 7 Pro 256GB (Grey) | iPad Pro 10.5 64GB (Gold)  PREVIOUS ACCOUNT: CYANOG

9 minutes ago, Gandek said:

There was a tiny bit of moisture on the cable and case that i got off. Most of it was on the floor. 

Il wait a bit more and report back 

The good news is it definitely isn't toast, I would consider it more of a soggy bread.

1 hour ago, Gandek said:

Had a little accident today... My brother was playing Fortnite on our gaming rig when a family member decided to clean the room with a mop including areas like around the computer where the PSU is. As soon as that mop was near it the computer shut down and rebooted. I was also in the room at the time and immediately shut it back down and turned off the PSU for 10mins just to be safe. Now when I turned it back on the first time it seemed like not everything was spinning and only the motherboard and gpu light lit up. The 2nd time I tried only the motherboard light lit up and the computer is showing no sign of life.. 

Is it toast now? *sigh*

You may have killed the PSU.

My question here is why are they mopping near a computer that's on the floor. Your PC should never be flat on the floor, are there no legs or plastic/rubber standoffs? To get any amount of water in the desktop almost always happens from people spilling a drink into the top of the desktop. It's pretty hard to get water into the desktop from the bottom.

3 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

Unless they were moping inside the damn case lol

Haha, I suppose some people are pretty dense...

I once had an ex that freaked out on me for placing the chairs back onto the floor after we mopped because "they would rust."

The chairs had wooden legs, with felt on the bottom.

She was real pretty.

3 hours ago, xhackforeverxdx said:

If the PSU pulls in Air from the bottom its very possible that it got a bit wet and a psu while running well :D Just depends on how wet the mop was ^^ 

There should be a filter though, and moisture shouldn't cause that.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and it sounds more like something is loose inside the case. I would reseat the RAM, replug power cables and drives and try again. Sounds more like the mop may have knocked something loose rather than water getting in! 

My Folding Stats Join the fight against COVID-19 with FOLDING! 

Aviation Engineer by day,

Game Developer by Night,

IT Engineer for a Hobby,

Husband in between!

Proud creator of EvoCore! 

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.retrodex.evocore&hl=en

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/evocore/id1459714064

23 hours ago, Retrodex Gaming said:

Sounds more like the mop may have knocked something loose rather than water getting in! 

yeah.. like the loose powercable in the back....